Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: NEW Clutch finally !

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I got my CDL license training & testing with 10-speed manual (Freightliner) in the fall of 2020. It took some time for my brain to reprogram my foot for double clutching. The truck had 1,005,000 miles on it, & I think it was already broken in before I started grinding gears on it
    Double clutching...Hmm...what's that...when you don't use the clutch...it goes from a 10 speed down to a 5 speed if you do it right *wink* lol

It's nice to know a clutch replacement is not a big time labor cost for the Mirage.
    Yep agreed. I'm 55 don't need the typical status quo vehicle that's why I bought the car. Function over form. I live alone, it gets me to work, I can throw my groceries in it, throw my laundry in it and go. $20/week on gas to get to work. Yep, I like it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by douglas4 View Post
    Double clutching...Hmm...what's that...when you don't use the clutch...it goes from a 10 speed down to a 5 speed if you do it right *wink* lol

Yep agreed. I'm 55 don't need the typical status quo vehicle that's why I bought the car. Function over form. I live alone, it gets me to work, I can throw my groceries in it, throw my laundry in it and go. $20/week on gas to get to work. Yep, I like it.
    You're just a youngster, I'm 58 going on 59 next month. I have never owned an automatic vehicle. I thought that would work in my favor, but I really had to reprogram my brain for double-clutching. Floating the gears was not an option for the driving portion of the test in Wisconsin. Ugh!

I went to truck driving school after retiring from 34 years of education. I think the younger guys who never drove a manual in their lifetime had less reprogramming to do than me. It could be the "teaching an old dog new tricks" issue, too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    In respect to my shifting resume, my favorite transmission is a 10 speed.
    And the best manual transmission for a road tractor is the 10 speed. It is less complex, less weight, and more durable than other Eaton-Fuller transmissions. Even Eaton says the 10 speed is best (for U.S. (80k lb) road applications).

a 10 speed Fuller/Synchromesh, hi/low range (of course), attached to a cummings engine
    There is no such engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    When I was working as a Mechanic for a Transport company with ~75 Class 8 tractors, the boss decided to get 6 trucks with the Automated Meritor 15 speeds coupled to the 515HP DD. They were the Spookiest things to drive as you put your foot to the floor, the clutch would slowly engage as the engine reved up, It would de-throttle & disengage the clutch to grab the next gear, etc... If your standing on a street corner & hear one of these take off, you think "There's a Pro Billy Big Rigger" but it's the computer shifting gears & Clutching & working the throttle... Really Cool
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Sorry guys been busy with Flight simulators and installing and tweaking etc. I love to fly.

So if someone could steer me to a good UK dealer where I can order a clutch kit I would be eternally grateful. It seems I'm gonna have to order across the pond after all. I've ordered many a things for my Heli hobby from the UK, France, Belgium and Germany.
    I have another really stupid question, why not order one from the link I already posted 2 weeks ago that shows 79 in stock? It's not from the UK but they do ship to your island.
    You probably would have had it by now.

And does anyone else believe a dealership would install a clutch for $200(usd). Let us know how that turns out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was considering to buy a new roof for my Mirage, in case a tree were to fall on it. I looked on rockauto but I didn't see any stock.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Before anyone gets too riled up, I'm just goofing (previous reply). I don't actually blame anyone for buying any part 'just in case.' Especially in this case as OP seems to feel something may be up with his clutch due to a previous owner.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    You're just a youngster, I'm 58 going on 59 next month
    Your only 5 years older than me, like really....*sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    There is no such engine.
    Lets see, I'm the one who did the daily inspections on the truck (at the time) and the engine clearly said "Cummings" written on it. I'm not blind. I know what I saw. The purchaser told me directly it had a synchromesh tranny. Not to sound argumentive but no need to question my claims. I drove the dam truck for 5 years.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Lets see, I'm the one who did the daily inspections on the truck (at the time) and the engine clearly said "Cummings" written on it. I'm not blind. I know what I saw.
    The engine likely said "Cummins", not "Cummings". Dieselheads are always triggered by this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lets see, I'm the one who did the daily inspections on the truck (at the time) and the engine clearly said "Cummings" written on it. I'm not blind. I know what I saw.
    Evidently not.