Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Clutch finally !

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by douglas4 View Post
    I am kind to my clutch. But it feels like it has a slight slip in first other than that its fine. I'm not the original owner. It was a girl who bought it before I did. I did "click" the notify me button on the rock auto site but they never contacted me when this supposed clutch kit came in stock online. I do intend on getting a clutch cable as well.
    If you feel your clutch is going to fail some day, I don't blame you wanting to avoid the dealer route for repair.

Hopefully, clutches for the Mirage will be back in stock soon. Auto Zone in the States lists their Duralast clutch ($221.99) for the Mirage. I'm confident it would be of good quality, & it backed by a limited lifetime warranty. It wasn't available yesterday, but today it is (estimated delivery of January 11-12 for where I live) again.

I really do feel I could find a clutch if I needed one today or 20 years from now.

Rockauto.com didn't have a Mirage clutch in stock yesterday, but today they have 1 in stock for my 2017 Mirage. Maybe another error, but the status changed today.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=1993&jsn=347

I wouldn't rule out clutch kits offers in Europe. Manuals are way more common there. Thus, I would assume more clutch options will always exist there. If the shipping costs aren't horrible, that may be an option to consider. The manual is a dying breed in North America.

We are living in a time where some items are in short supply. Hopefully, that will not continue. I couldn't get my favorite crackers at Walmart the other day, & that didn't make me very happy either. I joke, but I have never seen empty shelves for simple little items like that before.

Sometimes, we have to adapt. Heck, Fummins even changed beer brands recently!

Last edited by Mark; 01-05-2022 at 04:03 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-05-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by douglas4 View Post
    I am kind to my clutch. But it feels like it has a slight slip in first other than that its fine.
    Doug - the next time you get on the interstate and are running 70 - 75 mph (or faster), whomp the throttle all the way to the floor. After you are able to pull your head back forward off the headrest, watch the tach and listen. If your clutch doesn't slip under that condition, you're good for a while. I say that speed because your engine makes close to the maximum torque from about 3,700 - 4,500 rpm. It hits max about 4,000 rpm. This max torque is where it would slip and 5th has the most mechanical advantage to put maximum stress on the clutch.

My truck would slip pulling my trailer(s) when I'd be cruise controlling on the interstate and start pulling a decent hill. Then I noticed if I whomped it hard enough empty in 6th gear it would slip. This was before the 1,000 lb-ft clutch.

My son's G35 slipped in the same way ... but much easier and in most gears. But it was much more worn out than my truck's had been. I made him drive it like that for a month or two. I told him, if you can learn how to launch the car being real easy on your worn out clutch and can do it without slipping, then you're proficient at clutch driving. He got better QUICKLY. Then I put a new clutch in his car and he was good to go and thoroughly understands what it is that wears out a clutch.

Lastly - I can understand your concern about your car being owned by a former owner. My wife can drive a manual transmission very well. Yet she slips the clutch WAY more than I do.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-05-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I'm ultra careful with my clutch in my Outlander Sport. Except for the approximately 21 miles it had when I picked it up I've been the only driver for almost 40,000 miles and 2 1/2 years. I literally avoid local routes that have stop lights on inclines, never speed shift, never rev match downshifts or attempt to use engine braking to slow down, always nice and slow relaxed up shifts. I do skip shift sometimes up shifting using 1-3-5 shift pattern to hypermile. Engine braking is pointless with the 4B11, it literally will just eagerly rev to 5000+ if you try to use 3rd to slow you down. Plus a set of brake pads is far cheaper and easier to replace than a clutch!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Rev matching doesn't wear a clutch. Hence the revving & the matching. Assuming it is done right.

Non-rev matching does create wear. And if you rev match to 5,000 rpm in 3rd and let it coast down from there, it goes to 0 fuel injection during that coasting down.

For some reason, people equate clutch engagement to clutch wear. If a clutched car could be kept fueled and rolling along and the clutch remained engaged the whole time, the clutch would last millions of miles. It would NOT be the clutch that failed first.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Rev matching doesn't wear a clutch. Hence the revving & the matching. Assuming it is done right.

Non-rev matching does create wear. And if you rev match to 5,000 rpm in 3rd and let it coast down from there, it goes to 0 fuel injection during that coasting down.

For some reason, people equate clutch engagement to clutch wear. If a clutched car could be kept fueled and rolling along and the clutch remained engaged the whole time, the clutch would last millions of miles. It would NOT be the clutch that failed first.
    I agree that rev matching doesn't wear a clutch if it's done perfectly but even this old guy with 45+ years of driving a manual transmission doesn't get it perfect every time so no rev matching. I just leave it 5th or 4th until I get down to about 30 mph, put it neutral and just use my brakes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Mark (01-05-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I agree that rev matching doesn't wear a clutch if it's done perfectly but even this old guy with 45+ years of driving a manual transmission doesn't get it perfect every time so no rev matching. I just leave it 5th or 4th until I get down to about 30 mph, put it neutral and just use my brakes.
    I agree with you on this one, and in the case of the Mirage 5th gear still pulls very good as you slow down in it. On a flat road, you can chug along in 5th gear at 35-40 mph with ease. The need to row through the gears to downshift is really unnecessary. You can easily wind down to 35 mph in 5th gear (4th gear if you want/need a little more control).

What really matters is what gear you want to be in coming out a turn. if it's a slow, tighter turn, picking 2nd gear may be best. In most cases, I find myself picking 3rd gear coming out of a turn.

I started driving a manual with my dad's 1972 Chevy pickup truck. I could be doing it wrong all these years, but I've never replaced a clutch. Since I have never bought an automatic vehicle in my lifetime, I have owned a few manuals, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I agree with you on this one, and in the case of the Mirage 5th gear still pulls very good as you slow down in it. On a flat road, you can chug along in 5th gear at 35-40 mph with ease. The need to row through the gears to downshift is really unnecessary. You can easily wind down to 35 mph in 5th gear (4th gear if you want/need a little more control).

What really matters is what gear you want to be in coming out a turn. if it's a slow, tighter turn, picking 2nd gear may be best. In most cases, I find myself picking 3rd gear coming out of a turn.

I started driving a manual with my dad's 1972 Chevy pickup truck. I could be doing it wrong all these years, but I've never replaced a clutch. Since I have never bought an automatic vehicle in my lifetime, I have owned a few manuals, too.
    I've only replaced one and that was unnecessary. I had a 1986 Mazda B2000 that I bought new and at 250,000 miles I figured after almost 10 years it was probably due. Well, the clutch looked like it was still new but since I had it apart I went ahead and replaced it. The reality was I could have gone at least 400,000 miles on that clutch, maybe more. I sold that pickup with about 320,000 miles on it. Never had any mechanical issues with that motor even with that monstrously huge 86hp!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I've only replaced one and that was unnecessary. I had a 1986 Mazda B2000 that I bought new and at 250,000 miles I figured after almost 10 years it was probably due. Well, the clutch looked like it was still new but since I had it apart I went ahead and replaced it. The reality was I could have gone at least 400,000 miles on that clutch, maybe more. I sold that pickup with about 320,000 miles on it. Never had any mechanical issues with that motor even with that monstrously huge 86hp!
    I've shared this before - this guy put 1,000,000 miles on his 2007 Nissan Frontier RWD manual. His factory clutch lasted until 801,000 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAi9o8SXjNg

Nissan gave him a free pickup. Do you think Mitsubishi would reward a 1,000,000 mile Mirage owner? If not, White Bear probably would.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-05-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Rockauto.com didn't have a Mirage clutch in stock yesterday, but today they have 1 in stock for my 2017 Mirage. Maybe another error, but the status changed today.
    Did someone buy that one clutch kit that was in stock today? Bummer!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    That's right ... he might have made it all the way to 500,000 kms. OEM crap ...
    IIRC, the clutch in Steve's car did not fail at 300,000 miles? He was having a hard time downshifting into lower gears and was experiencing slippage, which was assumed to be a clutch failure given the miles he had. A simple clutch adjustment cured the slippage, but the downshifting troubles turned out to be a syncro problem.

Turned out his clutch went 300,000 miles despite never having never been adjusted before! The transmission internals failed before the clutch did. I am sure it had many, many miles left in it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-06-2022)