Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Clutch finally !

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by douglas4 View Post
    Out of stock or not available. I just checked.

Wrench Monkey says call back during regular business hours. Have to wait till Monday.

You know if this keeps up I'll cafe and just get the dealer one for $592 and be done with it. No point monkeying around trying to find one if the dealer has it right here. It's only a 1 1/2hr drive to have it done when it needs to be done. I've been looking for two months and I'm getting fed up. Like really.....*sigh*

Thanks Guys for your help, its been greatly appreciated.
    I've ordered from this site before and no issues and got my part in less than 10 days! Looks like there is inventory.

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genu...&uid=140209&q=

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Ya I see that, but burn me once never burn me again. I've lost trust in them. Besides no customer service agent to speak with. It's totally online only. That doesn't sit well with me. I like to speak with a live person when stuff hits the fan.
    If you really want a clutch that bad, I would try rockauto.com again. It appears to be in stock almost every time I check.

I understand your being upset with them, but they may have had a issue with their clutch vendor. I would assume rockauto.com is using a vendor from Europe for this clutch kit. Some of these things are beyond their control, & we are living in a time where toilet paper is sometimes difficult to find. I don't think these clutch kits are sitting at a Rock Auto Warehouse. They would be sent to you from the factory or wherever.

Auto Zone's Duralast clutch would be my first preference if they ever get them in stock again. Maybe someone at one of their stores would know how to put you on a waiting list?

Good luck!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Oh I'm not replacing it yet. I just want to have one on standby in the event of
    If you don't need one, I don't think you should get really wound up about availability... if you need a spare clutch "JUST IN CASE" maybe you should revisit your driving habits???
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Um, well lets see: (1). My driving habits are fine (39 years accident free age 16-55 current), and my clutch is fine except for the slight slip in 1st. (2). I'm the second owner of the car. (3). I drove trucks shifting 10,13,15 speed transmissions. (4). Drove greyhound in Canada 5 and 7 speed buses. (5). Drove 5 speed schools buses in the early years of my driving career and I've had several manual transmission cars. I think I know how to shift gears by now. If I sound sarcastic, I don't mean to be I'm just saying........

I just want a clutch to have one at the "Ready" when mine goes.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Um, well lets see: (1). My driving habits are fine If I sound sarcastic, I don't mean to be I'm just saying........I just want a clutch to have one at the "Ready" when mine goes.
    it's unusual if your clutch has a slip in 1st gear & not any others. Usually when a clutch starts to go bad, it starts to slip in the higher gears. Have you adjusted it??? Sorry, I'm just a licensed Automotive Tech with a Red interprovincial seal & a licensed Heavy Truck & Coach Mechanic & have replaced the clutches in the trucks you have driven so I may not be qualified to comment... Just get a clutch kit from the dealer then you will have it on the shelf & you'll feel sooo much better & be able to sleep at night
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The slip is barely noticeable, that's how slight it is but I can feel it, anybody else probably wouldn't. I've had it adjusted at our shop by our mechanic. Dan's a really good mechanic. I'm not gonna worry about it. The rest of the gears are fine and the car still drives excellent. I just had the brakes done all around for the first time. Rear brakes were metal on metal in some spots on the shoes. So it was time to do them. Its the first major mechanical thing done to this car since the girl before me bought it. All she did was oil changes and the factory recalls that's it.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    The slip is barely noticeable, that's how slight it is but I can feel it, anybody else probably wouldn't. I've had it adjusted at our shop by our mechanic. Dan's a really good mechanic. I'm not gonna worry about it. The rest of the gears are fine and the car still drives excellent. I just had the brakes done all around for the first time. Rear brakes were metal on metal in some spots on the shoes. So it was time to do them. Its the first major mechanical thing done to this car since the girl before me bought it. All she did was oil changes and the factory recalls that's it.
    My clutch also slips slightly, too! I am keeping an close eye on it and will replace it when the time comes with a complete set made by LUK, probably the best obtainable anywhere. If it should slip again after replacement, I will get in touch with LUK and they will ensure that I get a properly designed one and that their future clutches will be OK. Thats how business works in this part of the world.

Slip is practically unnoticeable for maybe 99% of all drivers, so how do I notice it?
    The area in these parts is mostly flat, aside from a few mild hills. There is one very long and steep slope however, that has about 20% grading, and continues all the way at that grading for about a five minute drive. Although the play of the clutch cable is in order, and the cable is definitely not under any tension, it slips going up that hill, and my foot never rests on that clutch pedal. Before the top of that hill all the way in first gear, the clutch stinks so much everybody in the car complains. During normal everyday driving in this flat district it works as it should.

There are a few threads about the Mirage clutch and its problems in this forum. The springs in the friction disc alone are only one problem. We also know the clutch is very light on your foot, maybe too light for applying enough pressure on the friction material during driving when the pedal is not being pressed.
    For that reason, when it comes time to replace it, I will not just replace the friction disc, but will replace the entire clutch with a set from LUK. I can be confident the the springs in both the friction disc, as well as the other springs pushing the linings onto flywheel etc., will be of correct strength.

Clutch sets were on short supply in Europe too, they said it had something to do with covid. I have never noticed parts in short supply for decades. They are now available again here, presumeably the situation in USA/Canada may be similar. I do keep a brand new clutch cable in the car, just in case it snaps.

https://www.kfzteile24.de/artikeldet...ch=1640-119082

https://www.autodoc.de/aisin/12864237

https://www.autodoc.de/herthbuss-jakoparts/17396697

https://www.autodoc.de/exedy/11686397
    Last edited by foama; 01-16-2022 at 04:03 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Um, well lets see: (1). My driving habits are fine (39 years accident free age 16-55 current), and my clutch is fine except for the slight slip in 1st. (2). I'm the second owner of the car. (3). I drove trucks shifting 10,13,15 speed transmissions. (4). Drove greyhound in Canada 5 and 7 speed buses. (5). Drove 5 speed schools buses in the early years of my driving career and I've had several manual transmission cars. I think I know how to shift gears by now. If I sound sarcastic, I don't mean to be I'm just saying........

I just want a clutch to have one at the "Ready" when mine goes.
    I don't think most here on the forum have a manual driving resume like you. That's quite impressive!

Like many things, there have been shortages of stuff. For some things (like ammunition), I have never seen anything like this in my lifetime, & I am older than you.

Eventually, I think you will be able to find a Mirage clutch on eBay or places like rockauto.com. The percentage of manuals in Europe is much higher than North America. If foama is seeing a shortage there, it would surely impact us here.

If you are sensing some clutch slippage, I don't blame you for wanting one ahead of time. Someone with your experience would know that. If you have a good mechanic that would change it out for you, I totally understand getting a more affordable clutch kit from elsewhere. I try to avoid dealerships for everything, except warranty or recall work myself.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm still gonna keep looking and watching. I'll score something sooner or later. The dealer only wants $250 not including taxes to install (2 hrs labor cost). Its where I'm gonna have it done.

In respect to my shifting resume, my favorite transmission is a 10 speed. Perfect number of gears to go up and down through. The last truck I drove was between 1995-2000. It was an international truck, with a 10 speed Fuller/Synchromesh, hi/low range (of course), attached to a cummings engine with no governor and twin blowers (turbos), Tandem axle, air ride, delivery truck. Man could that truck move. Especially on the 400 series Highways in Ontario. I was hauling 14 tons of bulk paper product to customers all over Northeastern and mid-southern Ontario. I used to go to Toronto Tuesdays and Thursdays for the stock pick up milk run. Straight down to TO via 400 Hwy and back. I miss that run. That's where I put the truck through its paces. It felt just as good and smooth loaded, as a greyhound coach. Mmmmmm lol.
    Last edited by douglas4; 01-16-2022 at 11:22 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm still gonna keep looking and watching. I'll score something sooner or later. The dealer only wants $250 not including taxes to install (2 hrs labor cost). Its where I'm gonna have it done.

In respect to my shifting resume, my favorite transmission is a 10 speed. Perfect number of gears to go up and down through. The last truck I drove was between 1995-2000. It was an international truck, with a 10 speed Fuller/Synchromesh, hi/low range (of course), attached to a cummings engine with no governor and twin blowers (turbos), Tandem axle, air ride, delivery truck. Man could that truck move. Especially on the 400 series Highways in Ontario. I was hauling 14 tons of bulk paper product to customers all over Northeastern and mid-southern Ontario. I used to go to Toronto Tuesdays and Thursdays for the stock pick up milk run. Straight down to TO via 400 Hwy and back. I miss that run. That's where I put the truck through its paces. It felt just as good and smooth loaded, as a greyhound coach. Mmmmmm lol.
    I got my CDL license training & testing with 10-speed manual (Freightliner) in the fall of 2020. It took some time for my brain to reprogram my foot for double clutching. The truck had 1,005,000 miles on it, & I think it was already broken in before I started grinding gears on it.

It's nice to know a clutch replacement is not a big time labor cost for the Mirage.