Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Silver ES

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Magician View Post

A part of me is interested in minimalism and I get a kick by doing the most I can with the least necessary. Maybe that's why I like the Mirage. 78 hp and a small cargo area is ok with me. It's doing everything I need my car to do.
    A/C
    auto climate controls
    ABS
    stability control/traction control
    intermittent wipers
    tachometer gauge
    power steering
    power window
    power locks
    remote entry
    cruise control
    rear wiper
    TPMS
    forward collision mitigation
    HSA (hill start assist)
    backup camera
    6-way adjustable driver's seat
    air bags
    radio/speakers/antenna
    4-doors
    No darn cupholders!
    & whatever I may have forgotten.

I felt driving a 1990 Ford Festiva L (63 hp) with 12" steel wheels was being a "minimalists" for 14 years, because it didn't come with any the above standard features found on a base level Mirage in 2022.

I miss base level cars, because they don't really exist any more. I am not knocking those who love features, however. I just wish car were simpler/cheaper. In my opinion, screens on vehicle dashes should be illegal, but I understand emergency braking might have that covered?

Last edited by Mark; 01-11-2022 at 02:41 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    What size chrome nuts do we use? Also I need a professional to paint my wheels. The last time I did it on my 2014, it looked like sh$t. Any recommendations?
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...Dorman-611-141

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-11-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I felt driving a 1990 Ford Festiva L (63 hp) with 12" steel wheels was being a "minimalists" for 14 years, because it didn't come with any the above standard features found on a base level Mirage in 2022.
    That is an amazing list. Gosh, back in 1990, I hated the Ford Festiva. I graduated high school that year. I guess in my mind, it was an image thing. But now, I think owning and driving said Festiva would be a BLAST. However, living down here in the dirty south, I'd want A/C. And I love cruise control, I use it everywhere. That would be the only 2 things I'd want. I could live with roll down windows and everything else. 12" wheels? They're clown car wheels, but I'd still be OK with them. I knew a guy who had a Festiva. He told me that when he would drive it to Florida, he'd just put his foot to the floor, run about 80 mph, and get about 40 mpg. Sounds feasible.

If I do the black painted wheels, which I might, I'm going to wait until I'm about to replace tires. And just use the Enasaves as the masking.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Total cargo volume room is second only to the Honda Fit. The Mirage has more room than most hatchbacks a class size above it IIRC.
    True, I did some searches for a used Fit but they're overpriced for their age and miles these days. (what isn't?) Honda really did a great job using all of the available space in such a small hatch.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    LOL! These days, that is considered bare bones! Plus, my wife argued successfully for getting power windows.

A/C
    auto climate controls
    ABS
    stability control/traction control
    intermittent wipers...

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Thanks Cobra, now to just find them in chrome.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    That is an amazing list. Gosh, back in 1990, I hated the Ford Festiva. I graduated high school that year. I guess in my mind, it was an image thing. But now, I think owning and driving said Festiva would be a BLAST. However, living down here in the dirty south, I'd want A/C. And I love cruise control, I use it everywhere. That would be the only 2 things I'd want. I could live with roll down windows and everything else. 12" wheels? They're clown car wheels, but I'd still be OK with them. I knew a guy who had a Festiva. He told me that when he would drive it to Florida, he'd just put his foot to the floor, run about 80 mph, and get about 40 mpg. Sounds feasible.

If I do the black painted wheels, which I might, I'm going to wait until I'm about to replace tires. And just use the Enasaves as the masking.
    Come help me do my steelies and I'll return the favor. Also, I got extra OEM steel wheels too if you need them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post

I agree cruise & A/C are nice features to have. Cruise control becoming standard for the 2019+ Mirage ES was a nice addition, especially for those who prefer manuals. Then again, cruise is something that can be added to any car.

Base mode 1988-93 Festiva L came with 145SR12 wheels. They were tough little cars. I would do things with that car that I would not do with my Mirage. If they were still offered today, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. $5,300 brand new in 1990, but that's equivalent to $11,471 today with inflation. Prior to this recent price trend, a highly discounted base level Mirage offered a lot of nice features for the money.

The Festiva was replaced by the Ford Aspire, but I don't think it had the same charm.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Cobra you think these would work on my steelies?

https://www.amazon.com/White-Knight-...44789634&psc=1

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I agree cruise & A/C are nice features to have. Cruise control becoming standard for the 2019+ Mirage ES was a nice addition, especially for those who prefer manuals. Then again, cruise is something that can be added to any car.

Base mode 1988-93 Festiva L came with 145SR12 wheels. They were tough little cars. I would do things with that car that I would not do with my Mirage. If they were still offered today, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. $5,300 brand new in 1990, but that's equivalent to $11,471 today with inflation. Prior to this recent price trend, a highly discounted base level Mirage offered a lot of nice features for the money.

The Festiva was replaced by the Ford Aspire, but I don't think it had the same charm.
    Mark you doing OK up there with that artic weather coming?