Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New Silver ES

Well, I want to look like a dumb ass and go with these Attachment 22670
    Maybe put some aluminum running boards with lights running the entire length on it too! Oh, and a big sunvisor with lights too of course.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Then just figure out how to incorporate exhaust stacks on a Mirage and you'll have the complete package!

Attachment 22669
    Believe it or not, I thought about it. It would be so cool if the exhaust were compartmentalized inside the C-Pillar, exiting at the top, pushing out to the right of the vehicle. Maybe even with one of them cool exhaust flappers on the end. But some idiot would touch it when it was hot and make a lawsuit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Belated welcome, Little Magician!

Glad you're still enjoying your new Mirage.

Is home delivery of cars becoming the norm now?
    Thanks MetroMPG. I wouldn't be surprised in this age of shopping online. But for me it was because stock is dried up nearby and prices were better out of state. I had already test driven Mirages before so I knew what they are like. But this one seems to be in better put together, one of the ones I test drove appeared to have very weak brakes and the rearview mirror would shake with the engine vibrations.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Magician For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-13-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Magician View Post
    ... this one seems to be in better put together, one of the ones I test drove appeared to have very weak brakes and the rearview mirror would shake with the engine vibrations.
    Glad to hear you got a good one. Your statement reminds me, seems like I remember test driving one and it felt a bit like a dog. I can't remember now exactly what the issue was though. Mine seems put together as good as they get I suppose. Sometimes when I come up to a stop and idle, I can't even hear or feel the engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Little Magician (01-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Glad to hear you got a good one. Your statement reminds me, seems like I remember test driving one and it felt a bit like a dog. I can't remember now exactly what the issue was though. Mine seems put together as good as they get I suppose. Sometimes when I come up to a stop and idle, I can't even hear or feel the engine.
    My previous car that had 40ish k km on it felt like a complete dog compared to work cars with 250k km. It was much better once it got a new engine. My current car didn't feel a lot better the previous car(with old engine) until I replaced the engine and cvt. Now it feels like a real car. Almost.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, I've had my Mirage for almost a month now. I have some observations and questions I'd like to share and ask.

The interior is very dark, especially at night. It's impossible to see anything in the center cup holders or the small storage in front of it. The map lights only slightly help out in those areas. Similarly, the only light on the driver side door is for the driver window. I'm surprised they don't light up the door locks, either. But the Mitsubishi accessory (Style Illumination Package) for $195 will light up the floor and center. Has anyone installed these and can share some pictures? I've read on a Kicks forum that their footwell light accessory is barely noticeable. How much do you think installation of the Illumination package would cost at a dealership? The rear seats are also similarly in perpetual darkness at night. A centrally located overhead light would have worked better for the second row.

Do Mirages come with an alarm system? I noticed there is no flashing red light in the instrument cluster after I lock the car and a quick search of documentation doesn't list it. Similarly, there is no green headlight symbol on the instrument cluster to remind you that the headlights are on. This isn't a big deal, I just didn't expect it.

Reserving daytime running lights to the highest trim seem to be a very poor decision. It would literally cost Mitsubishi no money to add that feature to every trim.

I'm not really complaining about the car. Nothing I've listed is a deal breaker. I'm just giving my opinion on some surprise realizations about the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Magician View Post
    So, I've had my Mirage for almost a month now. I have some observations and questions I'd like to share and ask.

The interior is very dark, especially at night. It's impossible to see anything in the center cup holders or the small storage in front of it. The map lights only slightly help out in those areas. Similarly, the only light on the driver side door is for the driver window. I'm surprised they don't light up the door locks, either. But the Mitsubishi accessory (Style Illumination Package) for $195 will light up the floor and center. Has anyone installed these and can share some pictures? I've read on a Kicks forum that their footwell light accessory is barely noticeable. How much do you think installation of the Illumination package would cost at a dealership? The rear seats are also similarly in perpetual darkness at night. A centrally located overhead light would have worked better for the second row.

Do Mirages come with an alarm system? I noticed there is no flashing red light in the instrument cluster after I lock the car and a quick search of documentation doesn't list it. Similarly, there is no green headlight symbol on the instrument cluster to remind you that the headlights are on. This isn't a big deal, I just didn't expect it.

Reserving daytime running lights to the highest trim seem to be a very poor decision. It would literally cost Mitsubishi no money to add that feature to every trim.

I'm not really complaining about the car. Nothing I've listed is a deal breaker. I'm just giving my opinion on some surprise realizations about the car.
    If the dash is lit up, the headlights are on. If not, the headlights are off. I see no need for a green headlight symbol on the dash on a Mirage. For a vehicle that has a dash that is always lit up or a vehicle that has day running lights, such a symbol on the dash may be helpful.

My Forester has day running lights, and the symbol is helpful for that vehicle. I think it would be a waste on my Mirage. When the dash is lit, I know my Mirage headlights are on. I personally like that!

If you like burning out headlights sooner, you can just leave your headlights on (never turn them off/a poor man's day running lights). Unlike most cars in the past, the headlights do not stay on when the Mirage is turned off.

I like the simplicity of the Mirage dash, & I really hate some of the cluttered dashes of today's vehicles.
    As far as being dark inside at night, that's a huge plus. It's much easier to see out when your car is dark inside. A bright dash inside your car can limit your visibility, and that's why dashes have dimmer switches.

My former 63 hp economy car with 12" wheels didn't have -
    A/C
    auto climate controls
    ABS
    stability control/traction control
    intermittent wipers
    tachometer gauge
    power steering
    power window
    power locks
    remote entry
    cruise control
    rear wiper
    TPMS
    forward collision mitigation
    HSA (hill start assist)
    backup camera
    6-way adjustable driver's seat
    air bags
    radio/speakers/antenna
    4-doors
    No darn cupholders!

If it makes you feel any better, a current base level 2022 Mirage has all the above features. From my perspective, a base level Mirage is well-equipped these days.

Since 2017, there's only been a $2000 difference between the base CVT trim & top trim level trim Mirage. Unless one is determined to own a manual, spending the extra money for the top trim level may be the route to go for those who value those extra features. In my mind, that's why they offer different trim levels.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If the dash is lit up, the headlights are on. If not, the headlights are off. I see no need for a green headlight symbol on the dash on a Mirage. For a vehicle that has a dash that is always lit up or a vehicle that has day running lights, such a symbol on the dash may be helpful.

My Forester has day running lights, and the symbol is helpful for that vehicle. I think it would be a waste on my Mirage. When the dash is lit, I know my Mirage headlights are on. I personally like that!

If you like burning out headlights sooner, you can just leave your headlights on (never turn them off/a poor man's day running lights). Unlike most cars in the past, the headlights do not stay on when the Mirage is turned off.
    The instrument cluster also lights up when I have the parking lights turned on. I sometimes use this mode during days of heavy fog or early morning in the city. Daytime running lights are to help other drivers and pedestrians see my car which can help to avoid mishaps. So even keeping the little amber lights on in front will help our visibility to them. And no, I do not like burning out headlights sooner. On the other hand, I had a Saturn with daytime running lights and I didn't need to replace them even though I had the car for 13 years. I remember when I got my Saturn, my supervisor at the time said it would drain down my battery, LOL.

I stuffed some left over led light bulb that I had from my Armada in my dome light. It's not the proper bulb but it hasn't fallen out yet and gives a ton more light than the crappy stock bulb. I'd give that a go before throwing hundreds of dollhairs at it.

I'm sure there's a thread that someone started about adding a second dome light over the rear seats.

Why would you want or need a light that tells you that your headlights are on? The headlight switch has 3 positions, off, park and headlights. I just leave mine on. I'm not one of the ones who are overly concerned about wearing out a light bulb, especially in a car where you can replace any bulb(except fog light)(at least 2020 and older not hid headlight cars) in under a minute.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I stuffed some left over led light bulb that I had from my Armada in my dome light. It's not the proper bulb but it hasn't fallen out yet and gives a ton more light than the crappy stock bulb. I'd give that a go before throwing hundreds of dollhairs at it.

I'm sure there's a thread that someone started about adding a second dome light over the rear seats.

Why would you want or need a light that tells you that your headlights are on? The headlight switch has 3 positions, off, park and headlights. I just leave mine on. I'm not one of the ones who are overly concerned about wearing out a light bulb, especially in a car where you can replace any bulb(except fog light)(at least 2020 and older not hid headlight cars) in under a minute.
    I agree the headlight switch is very simple. A quick glance will tell you if you have them on or not. It's more reliable than a green light symbol on the dash. As far as driving with parking lights on -

As a driving instructor, I would never recommend driving with parking lights on, because they are parking lights (not driving lights). In some cases, it may even be illegal.

"Parking lights are located at the front and back of your vehicles; they are white or amber in the front and red on the back. All of them must be visible for 500 ft. It is never legal to drive with your parking lights on; they are only to be used during parking."

https://driversed.com/driving-inform...ehicle/lights/

It may not be illegal to drive with parking lights on in some states, but it's not a practice I would recommend to my student drivers.

If you feel the need for lights, turn on your headlights!

I realize we live in a world that wants automatic everything, but one should be somewhat engaged with their world & surroundings while driving. If turning on headlights is truly an issue, our society is in real trouble. My biggest pet peeve are those who are to lazy to use turn signals. How hard is it to flick a switch. I even catch my driving students quoting me on that one when we drive!

I agree the Mirage would benefit from a dome light in the center of the roof, but it's not a big deal. I find the light located in the rear hatch area to be very helpful.

Last edited by Mark; 01-18-2022 at 05:58 PM.