Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: 165 Falkens, not holding air pressure well.

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Toronto
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    307
    Thanks
    398
    Thanked 64 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What kinda jank system do you have? There's been a few times I could have used one. I destroyed a rear tire on my car a few winters ago after driving on it flat(roads are **** and didn't notice anything off til I hit the freeway). I also went to put new rear tires on my truck and found one of the inner duals was rotten and had a big hole in the sidewall....Whooops.
    Theres a link if you click on the word amazon in post #8



  2. #12
    Senior Member Fummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Shed
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    6,160
    Thanks
    2,598
    Thanked 3,000 Times in 2,039 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Theres a link if you click on the word amazon in post #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Correct, my jank system also has external batteries I can change without dismounting the tire. You should just buy my jank system Dirk.
    You lost me at amazon.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)


  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Atlanta Metro
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,170
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 446 Times in 326 Posts
    That's a very interesting janky system. It would be somewhat fun to watch it. However, for most of my street cars I think it's overkill. If I were still trailering heavy frequently, I think it would be GREAT to have ... ON THE TRAILER tires.

    I was loaded heavy one time. It was hot out, and I was a) concerned about my truck running hotter than I preferred (the coolant gauge was higher than normal), and b) I don't believe my A/C was working all that good at that time anyway. So I had the windows down and the heater blasting full blast. Yes it was warm in the truck, but not a huge deal when concerned about making it back home.

    Anywho, there I was cruise controlling along and very relaxed and laid back, and BLAM, flap flap flap flap flap flap flap! Woke me up out of road cruising stupor. I instinctively hit the cancel immediately on the cruse control. At first I thought I blew a truck tire it was so loud. Then I thought, no the truck is driving just fine, maybe it was a gunshot. Then I realized the flap flap flap sound was slowing cause I had hit the cancel on the cruise. Then I realized it must be the trailer. And I took note that the trailer wasn't pulling or wobbling or anything abnormal. Just the noise. Which was friggin amazing seeing how heavy it all was.

    Luckily I was a good boy scout and had a spare in the trailer. 30 minutes later I had the spare on and trucked up to the next town and had the blown out tire replaced and back on the trailer (spare back in the trailer).

    But ever since that incident I keep my trailer tires fully aired (they were then too, just a crap Carlisle tire). However, if I had had that janky system on my trailer tires, I would have seen that blowout coming and could have stopped and prevented having to change it with limited space on the side of the interstate. Luckily it was on the right side so I wasn't having to stick my arse out into the slow lane.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)


  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Paducah, KY
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    779
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 324 Times in 202 Posts
    Resident Tire Engineer checking in. Get a good gauge (i.e. Milton) and check them every time you get gas (fine, every other since its SUCH a hassle ) Done.
    Resident Tire Engineer

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)


  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Paducah, KY
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    779
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 324 Times in 202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    But ever since that incident I keep my trailer tires fully aired (they were then too, just a crap Carlisle tire).
    Heyyy!!! I used to work for Carlisle. They aren't any more crap than any other crappy trailer tire. ALL trailer tires are crap.
    Resident Tire Engineer

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)


  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Atlanta Metro
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,170
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 446 Times in 326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Heyyy!!! I used to work for Carlisle. They aren't any more crap than any other crappy trailer tire. ALL trailer tires are crap.
    I hate to argue with you, but the Carlisle trailer tires were (may still be, I dunno) the complete and utter bottom of the crapola pile. Goodyear Marathons ST tires are not that great actually, but they're GOLD compared to the Carlisle tires. I've never owned but 2 Carlisle trailer tires. On the same trailer. One blew as mentioned above. The other shredded all the way around. People were waving me down on the interstate. But I was unloaded and I knew what they were getting at. I just kept going to the next exit even though I knew it was down / blown / whatever because the other 3 tires (Marathon STs) would take care of the job for the next ~10 miles. And they did.

    Those 2 Carlisle tires were WAY newer than the other 2 ole crusty Marathon STs that had been on there a long time. But the Marathons were still rolling after the Carlisles crapulated away.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)


  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SW, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    5,208
    Thanks
    259
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 1,390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I hate to argue with you, but the Carlisle trailer tires were (may still be, I dunno) the complete and utter bottom of the crapola pile. Goodyear Marathons ST tires are not that great actually, but they're GOLD compared to the Carlisle tires. I've never owned but 2 Carlisle trailer tires. On the same trailer. One blew as mentioned above. The other shredded all the way around. People were waving me down on the interstate. But I was unloaded and I knew what they were getting at. I just kept going to the next exit even though I knew it was down / blown / whatever because the other 3 tires (Marathon STs) would take care of the job for the next ~10 miles. And they did.

    Those 2 Carlisle tires were WAY newer than the other 2 ole crusty Marathon STs that had been on there a long time. But the Marathons were still rolling after the Carlisles crapulated away.
    Trailer tires can vary within brands even if they are the same size. I have better luck with 6 ply trailer tires verses 4 ply, because my small trailer gets tested at times. When I haul my compact 4WD diesel tractor with a rototiller on the 3 point hitch, I know that I am overloaded. Even a yard of gravel squats my 4.80 x 12 tires down on my 4' x 8' trailer. I purchased my small trailer in 1994. It gets used a lot. Mostly short trips these days.

    I put the third pair of tires on my trailer this past summer. The second pair of 6 ply tires were still going strong, but their tread was gone & they were becoming quite weather checked. Two pairs of trailer tires had taken care of 27 years of use.

  8. #18
    Senior Member fc321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    596
    Thanks
    724
    Thanked 229 Times in 146 Posts
    Hi Dirk,

    Im sorry to hear of this trouble so recently after you bright the car home. All you can do is get a tire pressure guage and check the pressure of your tires first thing in the morning (you want to check them always cold because the tires warm up as you drive and will give a higher reading than what is true).

    And make a note of it on a notebook what the pressure of each tire is and thru this detective work you will see whats going on. But give it a few days, dont waste your time going straight back to Dealer to complain

    Hopefully the situation will resolve itself and the climate just changed tremendously cold in the past 2 days so that may have something to do with it as well.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual (no bluetooth) nickname: "Agile Grey Rat"

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)


  9. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

    Dirk Diggler (01-06-2022)

  10. #19
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    looking into the abyss
    Country
    Turkmenistan
    Posts
    4,017
    Thanks
    1,486
    Thanked 856 Times in 623 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Hi Dirk,

    Im sorry to hear of this trouble so recently after you bright the car home. All you can do is get a tire pressure guage and check the pressure of your tires first thing in the morning (you want to check them always cold because the tires warm up as you drive and will give a higher reading than what is true).

    And make a note of it on a notebook what the pressure of each tire is and thru this detective work you will see whats going on. But give it a few days, dont waste your time going straight back to Dealer to complain

    Hopefully the situation will resolve itself and the climate just changed tremendously cold in the past 2 days so that may have something to do with it as well.
    I've driven 400 miles since then and no TPMS light so they're holding pressure. Thank you man!



  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

    fc321 (01-08-2022)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •