Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 165 Falkens, not holding air pressure well.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

165 Falkens, not holding air pressure well.

I got brand new tires on my 2021 Mirage and so far I was impressed with them, until today. My TPMS light came on. I checked the pressure and all 4 tires were 32 or 33 psi. This is a week after the left the dealership. They claimed they put air in the tires before I took off, but lo and behold the same TPMS light was on. I ran back in the store to alert them and they said just drive 5 miles or so and it'll click off. Well it did so I thought nothing of it until today.

There's been no big cold snaps in Atlanta, no reason to think that would drain pressure. Another thing is the TPMS isn't supposed to even come on unless you have loss 25% pressure. I didn't lose that much. Not if the reading was 33 psi before I put air in. Maybe these sensors are more sensitive? Maybe it's more like 20% pressure loss?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-02-2022),fc321 (01-06-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    What's your tire pressure gauge read? I haven't carried one with my Mirage but I was always filling up crappy tires on my old Ford. Maybe a recall on those tires best of luck Dirk. I haven't had my TPMS go off even once in my Mirage in 8 years April.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-02-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    What's your tire pressure gauge read? I haven't carried one with my Mirage but I was always filling up crappy tires on my old Ford. Maybe a recall on those tires best of luck Dirk. I haven't had my TPMS go off even once in my Mirage in 8 years April.
    It reads 41psi on all 4 tires now. I'm just hoping it's not a tire installation issue.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-03-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    It reads 41psi on all 4 tires now. I'm just hoping it's not a tire installation issue.
    Just think, it could be worse & you have a CVT code flashing in the dash,,, Just LOL... Did they try to sell you the "Nitrogen in the tires" package??? Make sure the pressures are correct, & if they are, remember you have lots of Warranty!!!
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

mohammad (01-03-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Just think, it could be worse & you have a CVT code flashing in the dash,,, Just LOL... Did they try to sell you the "Nitrogen in the tires" package??? Make sure the pressures are correct, & if they are, remember you have lots of Warranty!!!
    Very true. I'm going to wait and see. In a few days I'll check my tire pressure again and post on here. I can imagine having 1 bad tire out of 4 new ones but all 4 losing pressure like that?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I once bought 4 used tires and they all lost air very slowly, was pretty comical, having the valve stems professionally replaced fixed the issue.

If you are driving somewhere to check tire pressures, its possible that the driving is warming up the tires which is what causes them to increase in pressure and turn off the warning light.

Either way no TPMS in Canada so ive got this $35 after market **** off amazon and its been working ok so far, it even shows you pressure and temperature live. I can get a 2 maybe 3 psi increase from parking outdoors in freezing temperature then driving on the highway.

Its most likely they just didnt put any air in them before you picked them up, the tire shop that changed my tires last set 3/4 of my tires to 28 psi, no one cares about your car more than you. Especially your CVT dirk, never forget to think about your CVT.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Either way no TPMS in Canada so ive got this $35 after market **** off amazon and its been working ok so far, it even shows you pressure and temperature live. I can get a 2 maybe 3 psi increase from parking outdoors in freezing temperature then driving on the highway.
    Your $35 system is superior to our Mirage system, because our Mirage TPMS doesn't give you a tire pressure reading. The dash light only lights up if a tire is low or if a sensor stops working. It's not going to tell you which tire it is low. Bottom line: you should still own a tire gauge with our lame system.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Your $35 system is superior to our Mirage system, because our Mirage TPMS doesn't give you a tire pressure reading. The dash light only lights up if a tire is low or if a sensor stops working. It's not going to tell you which tire it is low. Bottom line: you should still own a tire gauge with our lame system.
    Correct, my jank system also has external batteries I can change without dismounting the tire. You should just buy my jank system Dirk.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    In many cases, part of the OEM procedures before shipping a car to the dealer is to over-inflate from he11. I don't know how high they go ... maybe 60 to 80 psi. Why? Because many times the trucking companies strap to the tire, and strap so hard they can damage a tire.

A good dealership is supposed to receive the car and immediately drop the pressures to normal (32 - 35 psi). When I worked for Hyundai-Kia, we heard many complaints from customers about ridiculously high air pressures ... due to dealerships being typical sucky and not properly preparing the vehicle for a customer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-03-2022),fc321 (01-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Correct, my jank system also has external batteries I can change without dismounting the tire. You should just buy my jank system Dirk.
    What kinda jank system do you have? There's been a few times I could have used one. I destroyed a rear tire on my car a few winters ago after driving on it flat(roads are **** and didn't notice anything off til I hit the freeway). I also went to put new rear tires on my truck and found one of the inner duals was rotten and had a big hole in the sidewall....Whooops.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)