Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A/C without A/C switch?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    My question was that the screenshot i shared from the Factory Service manual says that A/C on manual A/C cars such as your can come on while the A/C snowflake button is off. I was wondering if this is true? if anyone has tested this?
    Yes it can. My post stands (except I thought you were asking as an A/C car owner). Unless I'm proven wrong. Because this is what the instructions are saying or trying to communicate: If, from starting in the face ventilated mode with A/C off, the operator turns the mode knob to the DEFROST position, the compressor will be activated (even without having to press the A/C button). I know this because most modern cars do this and I find it annoying. Because I like control, and this action takes control away.

Meaning, I would like to be able to choose the mode completely independently of A/C activation. If I want to turn on the A/C to improve the defrosting, I know where the A/C button is. But there may be instances where I want it on defrost without the compressor turning. However, most vehicle operators don't realize the effect the A/C has on defrosting. So, the manufactures have decided that defrosting performance is more important that operator control.

Sure there's a chance I'm wrong. I'm in the wrong just about every time I open my mouth around my wife. But in this case, I believe I'm correct.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Yes it can. My post stands (except I thought you were asking as an A/C car owner). Unless I'm proven wrong. Because this is what the instructions are saying or trying to communicate: If, from starting in the face ventilated mode with A/C off, the operator turns the mode knob to the DEFROST position, the compressor will be activated (even without having to press the A/C button). I know this because most modern cars do this and I find it annoying. Because I like control, and this action takes control away.

Meaning, I would like to be able to choose the mode completely independently of A/C activation. If I want to turn on the A/C to improve the defrosting, I know where the A/C button is. But there may be instances where I want it on defrost without the compressor turning. However, most vehicle operators don't realize the effect the A/C has on defrosting. So, the manufactures have decided that defrosting performance is more important that operator control.

Sure there's a chance I'm wrong. I'm in the wrong just about every time I open my mouth around my wife. But in this case, I believe I'm correct.
    You are wrong, & I have stated how it works in two post now. If you want to drive to SW Wisconsin, I will prove it.

I know exactly what your are talking about, and you are wrong about this when it concerns the manual A/C on a Mirage. It is truly manual A/C, & nothing will automatically active it in the car outside of pushing the A/C snow flake button in.

I have owned vehicles were the full defrost automatically actives the A/C even with manual controls, but the Mirage with manual controls DOES NOT DO THIS!

My 2000 Honda CR-V did what you are describing, but my 2017 Mirage does not!

If I want A/C with defrost, I must manually turn on the A/C with the snow flake A/C button. Turning on the defrost full blast does not automatically active A/C in my Mirage, but it did on my 2000 CR-V.

This is also why I suggest turning your A/C on at times. It could literally goes months without it ever being turned on in my Mirage, and it's good for the A/C seals to have it run at times.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-21-2022 at 03:31 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-25-2022),MetroMPG (01-24-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    but the Mirage with manual controls DOES NOT DO THIS!
    OK, I may be wrong, I'll admit. And if you are correct, I would absolutely LOVE the manual controls. If I can find one for sale in the vicinity with manual controls, I may see if I can take the time to check it out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    OK, I may be wrong, I'll admit. And if you are correct, I would absolutely LOVE the manual controls. If I can find one for sale in the vicinity with manual controls, I may see if I can take the time to check it out.
    With my Honda CR-V, the A/C automatically came on when you went to full blast defrost mode. You could still manually turn it off in that mode, which in the extreme cold winter months I would do that all the time.

My Mirage is the opposite. Full blast maximum heat defrost does not active A/C. I must active the A/C manually by pushing the A/C button.

Is this thing on?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Someone explain this. I was just testing my 2021 5-spd (auto climate) 21 degree ambient temp.
    With the front defrost button pressed and illuminated, the compressor would not engage (nor rad fan) with or without the snowflake.
    I set the temp at 68 and then bumped up to 78 and let it run about 1 min in each. This was from a cold soak. Could this be due to coolant temperature less than operating temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    Someone explain this. I was just testing my 2021 5-spd (auto climate) 21 degree ambient temp.
    With the front defrost button pressed and illuminated, the compressor would not engage (nor rad fan) with or without the snowflake.
    I set the temp at 68 and then bumped up to 78 and let it run about 1 min in each. This was from a cold soak. Could this be due to coolant temperature less than operating temperature?
    Maybe the ambient temp is too low? When I tried mine this morning it was around 0c/32f outside and only kicked the compressor on for a few seconds. I don't know if the compressor turns on when it's below freezing?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    You are correct i do not have A/C But that is not relevant to my question..

My question was that the screenshot i shared from the Factory Service manual says that A/C on manual A/C cars such as your can come on while the A/C snowflake button is off. I was wondering if this is true? if anyone has tested this?
    that snow flake switch is technically a switch for the magnetic clutch so if its off the magnetic clutch is off so your compressor is technically off, i already observed this because we are a tropical country so our ac is always on. but it im travelling on provinces and sometimes is cold im switching my ac off for my compressor to rest and also for fuel economy, i did not observed the compressor turning on while the switch is off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    I don't know, but I can always speculate:
    • Low coolant temp like you suggest, maybe.
    • Low regrigerant level, not enough pressure triggering the low side pressure (safety) switch, maybe (not likely).
    • Fan not switched on, maybe (but I doubt it).
    • The front defrost button pressed and illuminated was actually the rear defrots button. (front is on the left from my memory).

While working in automotive, the group I was heading found confusion with the front and rear defroster buttons. I / the group suggested to add the word FRONT and REAR to the defroster buttons along with the normal symbol. The Korean engineers did their normal excellent work of ignoring anything the American engineers told them and/or suggested (even though many of the American engineers had more experience than they).

Attachment 22759 It seems like a common thing among mfg's for the ac compressor to not kick in when the outside temps are below freezing. Google, read and weed out the crap.