Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I wanted to thank this forum-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've read this twice and maybe I missed it, but what did you buy?

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    I've read this twice and maybe I missed it, but what did you buy?
    So far nothing, if you mean what I've replaced it with. I'm driving a Dodge Grand Caravan that I already had.

If you mean which Mirage did I buy and just sold, it was a 2021 G-4. 5 Speed manual.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Seems like buying a new Mirage every 30k miles or so, while this craziness is going on, would be the way to go for you. A $2,000 car would be much more likely to give you trouble in the next 30k miles.]
    Yes, but...

The exception IS a cheap used Mirage.

(Well, in a normal car market, anyway, since apparently there are no more "cheap" used cars in the States. That will revert to normal at some point though.)

I've now bought 3 cheap "as-is" Mirages for between $1800 to $2800 each that needed little mechanical work to pass Ontario's relatively thorough safety inspection and put back on the road. Higher kms and cosmetic issues than usual on each of them, but not crazy.

These are cars that can be found at "beater car" prices that you could confidently drive 30k miles or more and expect no problems outside of normal wear items.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Well, in a normal car market, anyway ...
    I was considering today's inflated market. But in any event, most people (being the case that most people know little to nothing about Mitsubishi's Mirage) would consider a $2,000 Mirage in any condition, a hooptie. In my case, it is case-by-case and the cars you bought may be perceived by most as a hooptie, but I agree with you that they certainly were not.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)