Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Manual Climate Control Switch(s)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Replacing Manual Climate Control Switch(s)?

Hey all, I’ve been quoted an extremely high price to repair my climate control switch mostly because the dealership and mechanic I went to say I need the OEM part for warranty purposes. I’ve found used manual climate control switches for around $50 but my question is; is it just as simple as plug and go with the harness on the back and the extra lines for the vent and temperature knobs? Sorry I don’t know the correct terminology.

Edit: model is 2017 G4 ES.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Zerotonin; 01-10-2022 at 04:40 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    What part of your current setup doesnt work?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Zerotonin View Post
    Hey all, I’ve been quoted an extremely high price to repair my climate control switch mostly because the dealership and mechanic I went to say I need the OEM part for warranty purposes. I’ve found used manual climate control switches for around $50 but my question is; is it just as simple as plug and go with the harness on the back and the extra lines for the vent and temperature knobs? Sorry I don’t know the correct terminology.

It's relatively "plug and play". Unplug your old wiring connectors and plug in the new ones. As for the Cables(lines) I found it easiest to disconnect them from the heater-box and keep them connected to the heater controls. I've only pulled a few sets just to keep as spares. Hopefully the used set you buy still has the cables attached and not hacked off.

As for warranty...I don't know of any aftermarket heater controls for sale so you really don't have much choice. Even if there were an aftermarket option, I can't see how it could possibly affect any warranty. Google magnusun moss act or whatever it's called.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Maybe cause he found a used set for $25 less?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    That is the route I’m going to go if I’m able to do it myself. I was quoted 250 for labor, 900 for a brand new part from the manufacturer. Both the dealership and the mechanic I went to claim that my control switch is the problem for my A/C not staying on.

For context: I overcharged Freon when trying to make my a/c colder. (Stupid mistake on my part.) Well, shortly after it was overcharged, the A/C light (as well as the compressor) stopped working unless you hold down the A/C button. The compressor will only run if you hold the button down. The auto shop claims after they replace the switch, they will be able to evacuate the extra Freon and recharge it. After they inspect for any damage in the lines of course. The labor and part charge is JUST for the switch that I can get from eBay for a much lower price.
    Last edited by Zerotonin; 01-10-2022 at 06:01 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's relatively "plug and play". Unplug your old wiring connectors and plug in the new ones. As for the Cables(lines) I found it easiest to disconnect them from the heater-box and keep them connected to the heater controls. I've only pulled a few sets just to keep as spares. Hopefully the used set you buy still has the cables attached and not hacked off.
    That doesn’t sound too bad. I’ll definitely have to take a look at the set up this evening.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Hey all, I’ve been quoted an extremely high price to repair my climate control switch mostly because the dealership and mechanic I went to say I need the OEM part for warranty purposes.

As far as warranty concerns go - If the dealer isn't replacing the part under warranty, I wouldn't be concerned about using an aftermarket part. Since used ones are available, I would go that route, too.

Since you have 2017, I can't imagine that you have much 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty left?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    As far as warranty concerns go - If the dealer isn't replacing the part under warranty, I wouldn't be concerned about using an aftermarket part. Since used ones are available, I would go that route, too.

Since you have 2017, I can't imagine that you have much 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty left?
    I think when they were talking about a warranty it was towards the part and labor itself because they said they would not install a part that I brought to them.

Oh no, my baby is nearing 100k. I actually put my power train warranty to use a couple months ago for that exact reason. Haha

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That is the route I’m going to go if I’m able to do it myself. I was quoted 250 for labor, 900 for a brand new part from the manufacturer. Both the dealership and the mechanic I went to claim that my control switch is the problem for my A/C not staying on.

For context: I overcharged Freon when trying to make my a/c colder. (Stupid mistake on my part.) Well, shortly after it was overcharged, the A/C light (as well as the compressor) stopped working unless you hold down the A/C button. The compressor will only run if you hold the button down. The auto shop claims after they replace the switch, they will be able to evacuate the extra Freon and recharge it. After they inspect for any damage in the lines of course. The labor and part charge is JUST for the switch that I can get from eBay for a much lower price.
    Are you sure the issue is with the physical button? The factory service manual teaches you how to test the button using a multi-meter.

please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos