Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Android Auto, a complete mess

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Android Auto, a complete mess

For any lurkers on here excited because the new Mirage comes standard with Android Auto/Apple Car Play, don't be. Well at least don't be until the app has had some major work. My list of complaints:

1. Siri can't understand half of what you say because of the road noise. If you're at a light it can still be an issue too!

2. Android Auto wrecks havoc on newer phones with 5G. My keyboard is constantly not appearing now on my phone screen since I started using the app.

3. USB port north of the shifter is flimsy as hell. My car is brand new and I can already feel a lot of play when I pull my cord out and bear in my mind, I do this gently. I no longer have the glove box back up USB port either. Say what you will about its location in the glovebox, the one in my old Mirage was rock solid.

4. If you have to drive with your seat all the way back like I do (I'm 6ft), you have to practically do a sit-up just to barely touch it.

I've pretty much given up on it and miss my old Mitsubishi Electric radio in my 2014 with the AUX port. I'm back to clipping on a vent phone mount on and charging thru my 12V adapter. I basically have a useless touchscreen now.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-12-2022),PityOnU (01-11-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    How do you have Siri on an android?

I’m not sure how they could have made it easier for you to reach.

I’ve been considering one of those $100 stereos with CarPlay on Amazon. But I don’t want to have to plug my phone in with a cable and they don’t support wireless CarPlay. The standalone android models need some way of connecting to the internet to use Waze so I’d have to pay for a SIM card. I like you and stuck with the windshield phone mount.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    How do you have Siri on an android?

I’m not sure how they could have made it easier for you to reach.

I’ve been considering one of those $100 stereos with CarPlay on Amazon. But I don’t want to have to plug my phone in with a cable and they don’t support wireless CarPlay. The standalone android models need some way of connecting to the internet to use Waze so I’d have to pay for a SIM card. I like you and stuck with the windshield phone mount.
    My friend, they could have made it easier with the interior arrangements, IMO. The pedals are too close, and the wheel is too far for my body.

What is your seating position? I'm 6ft, and for my feet to feel comfortable, I need the seat all the way back and about a 110° angle tilt for my back too.

I would trade Android Auto and a touch screen for telescoping steering wheel. Something more besides just tilt. That would help me but everybody is shaped different. I have a long torso but short arms lol.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I've been calling it Siri for 2 weeks now! Lol! Oh my God. I think the issue is I haven't smoke enough pot.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-12-2022),Fummins (01-11-2022),inuvik (01-11-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 2021 had a port installed parking sensor option. The switch was put in the USB location. The audio USB cable was changed to the gray cable in the glove box so that option should still exist. I wound up putting the USB port where the 12V socket was located.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My previous post on bluetooth pairing was if your device was neither Apple or Android OS it would not pair. The dealer was unaware of this althought it is information from Mitsu.

I have little to no understanding between 3G and 5G other than they are not compatible. Don't know what form of output from 5G but it may be either more rf or different wavelength or both and interfering with ever'thing. I have a spectrum analyzer and a receiver that goes to 2 gigahz....maybe they will show something..
    Karl

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    My friend, they could have made it easier with the interior arrangements, IMO. The pedals are too close, and the wheel is too far for my body.

What is your seating position? I'm 6ft, and for my feet to feel comfortable, I need the seat all the way back and about a 110° angle tilt for my back too.

I would trade Android Auto and a touch screen for telescoping steering wheel. Something more besides just tilt. That would help me but everybody is shaped different. I have a long torso but short arms lol.
    Im also about the same height as you, I sit basically vertical, my seat is non-height adjustable. I agree a telescoping steering wheel would be nice, you can always buy the extension. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ring-extension. I do not sit all the way back but most of the way yes.

For me id like if the rearview mirror could be moved up to touch the roof, its a decently annoying blindspot for me.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-12-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Android Auto/Apple CarPlay are decent ideas that still (for whatever reason) have dog**** implementations. I used Android Auto exactly once and that was enough.

Everyone other than Ford can't manage to get the framerate up to 60, even on $1.2K head units. So enjoy an objectively inferior, choppy interface when compared to your phone. Also lower resolution. Also in a less safe/convenient location (as opposed to having your phone mounted to the dash like a HUD).

Additionally, have fun trying to figure out which apps now launch via the head unit, and which ones still need to be used on the phone.

On one hand I'm surprised that they (automotive industry) managed to **** this one up so damn hard. On the other hand, I'm totally not, as they have been dragging their feet on adopting tech into vehicles for more than a few decades at this point.

Basically your best bet is still just getting a head unit with Bluetooth and leaving it at that. Only Tesla has managed to actually make their huge center screen usable, useful, and fun. But that's because they aren't even a car company, IMHO.

SMFH. Here's hoping you can reset all the weird pairing crap you now have configured on your car/phone and just go back to using Bluetooth.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Im also about the same height as you, I sit basically vertical, my seat is non-height adjustable. I agree a telescoping steering wheel would be nice, you can always buy the extension. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ring-extension. I do not sit all the way back but most of the way yes.

For me id like if the rearview mirror could be moved up to touch the roof, its a decently annoying blindspot for me.
    When I first got my Mirage, I didn't realize the rear view mirror post could be pushed upward some. I hated the original location. Pushing the entire thing up some did help.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-11-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    When I first got my Mirage, I didn't realize the rear view mirror post could be pushed upward some. I hated the original location. Pushing the entire thing up some did help.
    This is news to me! I have a wider rearview mirror that attaches to the OEM mounted mirror. It helps a lot with my back right blind spot, but combined with the huge black plastic box/collision mitigation camera, my outward view is more limited than in my 2014.