Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long term ES (base trim, manual trans) test - Driving.ca

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Well...there's at least one somewhat useful paragraph of Mirage review buried in that Sudbury history lesson...

...in our testing we found it to be most efficient around 90 to 105 km/h. The Mirage has enough power to cruise as fast as you please on public highway, but pushing the needle past 115 km/h will cause economy to suffer simply because that little three-cylinder is working! With an average speed of around 120 km/h, our test economy was 6.3 L/100km.

Still impressive, but not that much better than a 2021 Honda Civic, which would return 6.5 L/100 km on paper and could likely do so at higher speeds than the Mitsu. The Mirage is best suited for city life, but it can be pushed into road-trip duty in a pinch.
    I can't argue with that. You aren't going to get great fuel mileage driving a Mirage at 75mph (120kmh) in the middle of winter. I could have told them that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-10-2022),MetroMPG (04-11-2022),vintzend (04-10-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    I get the feeling they're not even driving their long term tester Mirage around much, they probably have a driveway full of McLaren's lol. They went on for a long time about the big smoke stack in Sudbury. I have seen it myself.

My big takeaway is they find their Mirage gets tossed around in the wind:

"The spindly Mirage is the lightest car you can buy new in Canada at some 2,095 pounds, and it feels like it as it wisps down the highway. Though its aerodynamic teardrop-shaped roofline is actually patented, it only seems to slip through wind that comes at it from the forward direction, and it gets blown about quite easily by side winds"

All in all not a negative review, it's just like their Mirage has taken a backseat to their sightseeing in their tester car. Not a bad way to get around I suppose!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

I'm not sure if this one was posted already, I found it more informative than the review about a chimney.

The "review car" has the shorter(by 2") rear bumper, glove box shelf, and no rocker moldings. And a leather wheel without cruise or bluetooth.

I'm just gonna dump this one video I found here too... Fast forward to the 18min mark, this car has a full size spare. It also has a raised floor around the spare tire well. And the parcel shelf is different than north american models too.
    A grown up could probably take this post and put it where it belongs if there is a place.
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-11-2022 at 02:09 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-11-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    At 6.3 L/100km, they must have been running the A/C the whole time to keep the windows clear.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    At 6.3 L/100km, they must have been running the A/C the whole time to keep the windows clear.
    i drive the poverty edition without ac. at 120kmph, i imagine i also use 6.3L/100km. thats actually exactly the fuel economy number i got on fuelly. If we look at the second graph here https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...age-1-2L-5-spd extending that green line to 120kmph should get you around 6.3L/100km

on a side note not only the AC but also the rear defog take a noticeable amount of gas.
    Last edited by MetroMPG; 04-11-2022 at 03:05 PM. Reason: (added pic)
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...Fast forward to the 18min mark, this car has a full size spare.
    That's interesting. I always wondered if a larger spare would fit there...

Name:  full_size_spare.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  78.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That's interesting. I always wondered if a larger spare would fit there...

Name:  full_size_spare.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  78.5 KB
    Top Fuel I think you have some sort of plastic below the carpet raising the spare tire room that the rest of us done have. I dont believe i have that. I just have the carpet sitting directly on the bare metal around the spare tire.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Re-read posts 13 and 16.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Re-read posts 13 and 16.
    I wish our North American Mirages had their more finished/slightly raised rear floor space like the one in the 2nd video clip or shown in post #17.

I moved a 14" x 4.5" factory steel rim with a worn down factory Dunlop tire into my spare tire wheel well area a few months ago, & it raises the cheap piece of covering we get about 1-2 inches. Thus, their rear space is designed perfectly for carrying a full size spare tire while maintaining a flat floor in the rear. It gives their Mirage a more finished look in the rear, too.

I used to carry a full size wheel behind my passenger seat whenever I took longer trips (especially if my factory Dunlop tires were on the car, because I never trusted them). Thus, I was running around with a full size tire & a donut spare most of the time. To reduce weight & gain a little space back, I pulled my donut spare out & store a full size tire in that space. The cheap heavy duty cardboard we have in the back is raised about 1-2 inches. If I hauled something heavy on it, I will probably break it some day. Their slightly raised designed floor in the rear would be an improvement. Their heavy duty cardboard piece just covers the tire area, & it seems flush with the rest of their plastic raised floor.

Anyone using wider rims/tires, would raise the rear floor area even more. The narrow factory rims/tires aren't that bad, but it's still not perfectly flat back there. The diameter of the spare wheel well is large enough, but a couple extra inches of depth would be nice.

I hate how the rear seats fold down on a Mirage. I never owned a hatchback or wagon that didn't create more of a flat space. Having never really owned a sedan, I've owned a number of hatchbacks, small wagons, & SUVs over the years.

I have built a rectangular box with 1" x 4" boards that fits snug in the area behind the rear seat, & at times I have two pieces of plywood cut out that I can lay in the rear (creating a somewhat flat floor space). The two pieces of plywood are easier to install & remove than one solid piece. I slip the front piece of plywood through the rear door of my Mirage. I can still slip/store small items within the boxed area in the rear. I did this mostly to carry large pet carriers in the rear better. I've delivered over almost 40 standard poodle puppies for a friend in the past 1.5 years. Most of them have been with my Mirage.

I also like storing jumper cables, extra serpentine belt, extra clutch cable, and a couple extra headlights in my spare tire space. Most of that stuff fits inside the rim itself, & the rim protects them from being crushed.

I feel better having a full size spare with me when I take longer trips especially. If a person could purchase/install their plastic panels in the rear, I wouldn't rule that out. A used set from a junk yard would be great, but shipping would probably suck!
    Last edited by Mark; 04-12-2022 at 08:21 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-12-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The wrap up review:

https://youtu.be/bw4yUA0R7uo

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 88coltturbo For This Useful Post:

Mark (05-10-2022),MetroMPG (05-10-2022),x111951753 (05-09-2022)