Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long term ES (base trim, manual trans) test - Driving.ca

Here's the written wrap-up:

https://driving.ca/reviews/road-test...ishi-mirage-es

He liked it...

I didn’t expect to like the Mitsubishi Mirage. In fact, I expected to dislike it quite thoroughly. I thought it would be too tiny and too tinny for me to like driving it day after day. ... the little Mitsubishi ended up working its way into my heart.
    FUN (???) city car...

the Mirage is a joy to flick around inner-city traffic. Despite turning just 78 horsepower, it feels nimble and agile. It’s no Cayman of course, but the the visibility and small dimensions give great confidence when changing lanes or parking. In town, driving the Mirage is just plain fun.
    High speed (120 km/h = 70 mph) fuel economy isn't great...

Cars with more power don’t have to work as hard to do the same, so for highway jaunts, some larger and more powerful cars with lower rated fuel economies may actually surpass the Mirage.
    He saw 6.1 L/100 km in the winter at 120 km/h = 39 mpg US.

Wrap-up:

I came to love the little Mirage in my driveway. In a world where every car seems to be pretending to be something else, the Mirage is refreshingly honest. It does what it says on the box. It’s simple, straightforward transportation without trying to sell you on the idea that it’s something else like the Nissan Kicks does. Basic motoring is truly rare these days, and I honestly find a lot of appeal in a car that lets you drive it so free from distractions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (05-10-2022),dspace9 (05-10-2022),Mark (05-10-2022),Top_Fuel (05-10-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good, objective review. It is what it is and it does what it does, to a fault. So much so that most of our threads get hijacked off topic, because these cars just don't break that often.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-10-2022),Fummins (06-27-2022),precisionxt (01-09-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Good review, took the time to appreciate their Mirage. Reliable commuter car that's good zipping in and out of traffic, suffers on the freeway.

I want to know more about the stock rubber floor mats that are ill-fitted. I guess that's what you get with an ES since carpeted mats are extra now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You know, they could get rid of those useless mats, and sell the car for $100 less, making it sub $14k. Everyone ends up buying Weathertechs anyway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I didn't read the article. Just Metro's summaries. It sounds very reasonable. However, I don't know about zippy in traffic. It sort of lacks the ability to zip, and it sort of wollers around on it's suspension when pushed. I do think it sort of sneaks around. I.E...

The other day, there were herds of steam rollers lined up at a traffic light (going to my left), and I was at a T-intersection with them. I was pulling out from a little access road. I needed to cross them all, get in the far lane, which is a right turn lane within the intersection they were all piled up behind. There was just enough room between the front and rear rollers of all those barges, I just drove through them ... like stationary frogger. I'm betting there were some soccer moms going, "ohh, eww, he's not gonna make it..." But I did easily, and paused and looked real good before pulling out into the far right turn lane (because it was still open and moving), there was a gap so I proceeded. Everything went real smooth. I would not have done that in my Lexus. And my truck would not have fit. Therefore, I think the car kind of sneaks / snakes around. And parking is not even a thing. It parks so easy, even a cavewoman can do it (ok, not really).

"Suffers on the freeway?" The only way I can think that it suffers is that it gives up some mpg if you run it 75+ mph. But what car doesn't? I don't consider that suffering. I will admit that if you drove it out in to some big wind, it's going to get blown about somewhat. But there's not much of that issue down in the dirty south. Outside of having some concern of being rear-ended by a ... how to say this, 2004 Malibu rollin' on 22's doing 95 mph inside and on the perimeter of the Thunderdome, I think it is a freeway jedi. My LS 460L is a freeway Sith Lord.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If I could time travel to 2014 knowing what I know now, I would have chosen rubber car mats. Especially people with the 5 speed and drive in the winter with heavy boots. Got a hole under the clutch after 6 years of driving. Not the mat's fault. Salt got the carpet good as well.

So far I am liking the weathertechs, except the annoying sound they make in the winter when you have to shift gears and move your boots around.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

https://youtu.be/bw4yUA0R7uo

I believe this is the end of the review. An honest car

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay123 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-14-2022),MetroMPG (01-08-2023)

Surprise review conclusion ... the reviewer buys a Mirage!

So, I was just reading the "top 10 most popular videos of 2022" by the folks who posted the above Mirage review.

1st surprise: the Mirage long-term wrap-up video is on the list:

https://driving.ca/car-culture/lists...ng-videos-2022

2nd surprise: in the above article, we learn that the reviewer BOUGHT ONE after the review!

... guess who actually bought a 2022 Mitsubishi Mirage after thoroughly testing one out!?

“I didn’t expect to like the Mirage, but the little Mitsubishi worked its way into my heart,” admits Clayton.
    Hilarious. So I checked the reviewer's (Clayton Seams) social media, and sure enough, back in June, he posted...

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 9.08.08 PM.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  62.3 KB

I have purchased my first ever normal car. It's a 5-speed base model with no options. But it IS the first car I have ever owned with working AC! It's the 11th car I've bought and the newest one by some 20 years.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/CLAYTRON9...C4tdmi75YqAAAA

That makes 3 car reviewers that I know of who have bought one!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    So, I was just reading the "top 10 most popular videos of 2022" by the folks who posted the above Mirage review.

1st surprise: the Mirage long-term wrap-up video is on the list:

https://driving.ca/car-culture/lists...ng-videos-2022

2nd surprise: in the above article, we learn that the reviewer BOUGHT ONE after the review!

Hilarious. So I checked the reviewer's (Clayton Seams) social media, and sure enough, back in June, he posted...

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 9.08.08 PM.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  62.3 KB

https://mobile.twitter.com/CLAYTRON9...C4tdmi75YqAAAA

That makes 3 car reviewers that I know of who have bought one!
    Who are the other reviewers who bought one?
    Curious if they bought one, then reviewed it, or the other way, reviewed it, liked it so much that they went and bought it

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Well his conclusion and purchase of a Mirage are spot on and intelligent,

BUT

I take huge issue with the first paragraph, "the base model ES for $14,000 can be upgraded to a CVT for $1,200" BULL SH*T.

That's EXACTLY what I tried to do at 3 dealerships in 2014 only to be told in every case I could not get a CVT upgrade unless the base model had A/C. I get in 2014 in Canada the base lacked A/C but you could order a base ES 5 MT that had A/C, and what's to stop them from adding the CVT for $1,200 ? Nothing except the urge to pick your pocket for an SE trim. Since there is no stock of 5 MT ES in Canada there's no way to put this to the test.

ETA: I consistently get 5.5l fuel use even at 110-112kph. I do notice a drop heading into a stiff wind or when pulling my trailer with a 18" x 5' frontal area. (It's only 7.5 sq. ft. but it impacts the mileage a fair bit, my 4 x 4 trailer, even with my yard tractor loaded has no effect, go figure.)

I still get sentimental when I look at pics of others peeps rides. This little car saved my sanity when I really thought I was going to check out from cancer.

Last edited by Wallythacker; 01-08-2023 at 07:26 AM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-08-2023)