Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Long term ES (base trim, manual trans) test - Driving.ca

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    So, I was just reading the "top 10 most popular videos of 2022" by the folks who posted the above Mirage review.

Hilarious. So I checked the reviewer's (Clayton Seams) social media, and sure enough, back in June, he posted...
    I just watched Clayton Seams' long term review of the Mirage, & it was well done. He recognized the value of a car like the Mirage, & it's probably why he purchased one.

His past car purchases are a bit unique. He even owned the first car I ever drove (not on the road as a young kid), & that was my Dad's 1966 Impala. It's funny, but the Mirage is taking him into the modern era of cars! I copied & pasted his list of vehicle purchases.

Clayton🚡Seams
    @CLAYTRON9000
    ·
    Apr 28, 2022
    Replying to
    @CLAYTRON9000
    This means in order, all my car purchases to date are:
    1983 Datsun 280ZX
    1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
    1989 Suzuki Swift GTi
    1966 Chevy Impala
    1999 Chevy Suburban
    1969 Chrysler Newport
    1969 Lotus Europa
    1970 Chevy Corvette
    1966 Chevy Corvair
    1971 Opel GT
    2021 Mitsubishi Mirage

I am really disappointed in Mitsubishi dropping the manual option in the States. I doubt it will come back, too.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-08-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I just watched Clayton Seams' long term review of the Mirage, & it was well done. He recognized the value of a car like the Mirage, & it's probably why he purchased one.

His past car purchases are a bit unique. He even owned the first car I ever drove (not on the road as a young kid), & that was my Dad's 1966 Impala. It's funny, but the Mirage is taking him into the modern era of cars! I copied & pasted his list of vehicle purchases.

Clayton��Seams
    @CLAYTRON9000
    ·
    Apr 28, 2022
    Replying to
    @CLAYTRON9000
    This means in order, all my car purchases to date are:
    1983 Datsun 280ZX
    1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
    1989 Suzuki Swift GTi
    1966 Chevy Impala
    1999 Chevy Suburban
    1969 Chrysler Newport
    1969 Lotus Europa
    1970 Chevy Corvette
    1966 Chevy Corvair
    1971 Opel GT
    2021 Mitsubishi Mirage

I am really disappointed in Mitsubishi dropping the manual option in the States. I doubt it will come back, too.
    Well young dude and I have shared ownership of many of the same cars

1989 Suzuki Swift GTi
    1966 Chevy Impala
    1969 Chrysler Newport
    1969 Lotus Europa
    1970 Chevy Corvette
    1966 Chevy Corvair
    1971 Opel GT

Statistically the odds on this must be amazing. If I remove the exact same model year match then he and I share 3 more, Firebird, Datsun, and Mitsubishi. The odds are really out the window now.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-08-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Well young dude and I have shared ownership of many of the same cars

1989 Suzuki Swift GTi
    1966 Chevy Impala
    1969 Chrysler Newport
    1969 Lotus Europa
    1970 Chevy Corvette
    1966 Chevy Corvair
    1971 Opel GT

Statistically the odds on this must be amazing. If I remove the exact same model year match then he and I share 3 more, Firebird, Datsun, and Mitsubishi. The odds are really out the window now.
    That is amazing! His purchases may not be as unique as I thought. He seems like a young guy to have owned so many older vehicles. Someone like my dad wouldn't seem so strange. I am not saying anyone is unique, odd, or strange, however!!!!

I am just talking about the list of vehicles. My dad's first 5 cars were Impalas I believe, including a 1977 Impala that I used to take my driving test. Then there was an era where the Impala disappeared. He owned a Lumina & Buick LeSabre during time period before going back to the Impala. Then he bought a RAV4 (6 cylinder model which was quite impressive). That shocked me. He's gone back to the GMC Terrain for his last two vehicles. At age 82, he can drive whatever he wants. He always has a full size Chevy pickup truck to use on the farm, too. It's pampered compared our past farming days.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-08-2023 at 06:38 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post

Since there is no stock of 5 MT ES in Canada there's no way to put this to the test.

I was able to order an ES, 5 speed. Took a long time to find a dealer that had one coming, but it was possible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMW For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-09-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That is amazing! His purchases may not be as unique as I thought. He seems like a young guy to have owned so many older vehicles. Someone like my dad wouldn't seem so strange. I am not saying anyone is unique, odd, or strange, however!!!!

I am just talking about the list of vehicles. My dad's first 5 cars were Impalas I believe, including a 1977 Impala that I used to take my driving test. Then there was an era where the Impala disappeared. He owned a Lumina & Buick LeSabre during time period before going back to the Impala. Then he bought a RAV4 (6 cylinder model which was quite impressive). That shocked me. He's gone back to the GMC Terrain for his last two vehicles. At age 82, he can drive whatever he wants. He always has a full size Chevy pickup truck to use on the farm, too. It's pampered compared our past farming days.
    So many things about the similarities are haunting! Considering when I was younger and aging cars like the Europa and Opel were fairly common, as common as imports in the 70's could be. It helped I lived in the town where the importer of Lotus resided. GMs were always as common as chips. Most Opels rusted to nothing, as did the Datsuns, the Europa frame disappeared and the non unibody were driven until the fenders flapped in the breeze! My Corvair was a blast, I miss it greatly. IIRC it had 140hp as it was dual carbed, 4 sp, Monza trim. Oh, so many insanely good memories from all the cars I've owned over the years. And the costs! It wasn't unusual to pay $100 for a decent running car and a safety certificate was $2 under the table. Even my Corvette was insanely cheap. I paid $2200 for a 1970, 427/425hp 4spd. It supposedly needed an entire new electrical system but it was only the aftermarket transistorized ignition which had a bypass button, discovered by my buddy and when it was bypassed, the Vette ran like a rocket!
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-08-2023)

That is genuinely amazing!!

I only have a 1-car overlap with Mr Seams: I owned an '89 Swift GTi.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    That is genuinely amazing!!

I only have a 1-car overlap with Mr Seams: I owned an '89 Swift GTi.
    What I found odd/interesting (depending on your take of it all), his 89 Swift GTi had been his newest vehicle (outside of a 99 Suburban). A 2022 Mirage was quite a leap for him! That alone says something!