Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Pickering Ontario

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Hello from Pickering Ontario

My first car was a $90 1957 Volkswagen beetle. Along with owning that car, came the concept of ‘the people’s car’: a basic, unpretentious, reliable car for ordinary folk. That’s stuck with me. Since the 1970’s, smaller hatchbacks have been my preferred vehicles. Up to a few months ago, our car had been a 2016 Chev Sonic LT turbo hatchback. Starting in June, I became aware that this perfect-in-so-many-ways car had the potential to give considerable grief brought on by turbo-related issues and a few months later, started considering alternative hatchback options that promised reliability. With choices in this area dwindling, my final contenders were a recent used Toyota Yaris or Mitsubishi Mirage.

The fruit of my search was a new 2019 Mirage LE CVT (50 kms on the odometer), purchased early August. Off-putting that it took this Mitsubishi dealer 2 1/2 years to sell their own Mirage vehicle, while only a week to sell my traded-in 2016 Chev Sonic. The Mirage to me seems one of the very few true descendants of the people’s car concept. I’ve added a ScanGauge fitted to a 3D printed bracket that just friction fits in the starter button hole. In the process of ordering 185/55x15”all-weather tires, I saw A-Team red line wheels, the right size for the Mirage, but on ordering found they’d been discontinued, so my marine-duty red pin striping of the standard Mitsubishi wheels is Plan B.

So far average fuel consumption on the Mirage has been 48.8 mpg (Imperial)/ 40.6 mpg (US) /5.8 LHK -- about 13% better than what I averaged with the Sonic. With driving in this region often either a fast motorway trip or grid-locked crawl on the same motorway, great mileage isn’t easy. Best ever from the Sonic was about 3 mpg (Imperial) inferior to best so far from the Mirage (54.3 mpg), not much difference. So I’ve traded the enjoyable punch of the turbo-charged engine for hoped-for reliability, one of those decisions you can never really evaluate as best. But I quite like the Mirage and appreciate this forum. Thanks!

Attachments: Photo of the car, 18 Lack tables in the trunk & room for more, Scangauge fitted, 3D printer Scangauge bracket stl file zipped in case anyone wishes to use it.

Attached Images Attached Images     
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Chrisb For This Useful Post:

88coltturbo (01-20-2022),dspace9 (01-20-2022),Fummins (01-18-2022),inuvik (01-18-2022),Little Magician (01-18-2022),MetroMPG (01-24-2022),mohammad (01-20-2022),Wil B (01-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Wow. Those wheels look great on your car. And I'm familiar with .stl files and 3D printing. I don't have any plan to scangauge mine or I would use your .stl file with GREAT appreciation.

I have a really nice tachometer I bought for my antique car. But the bracket I idea I had to mount it didn't work out. However, your bracket has kicked off an idea in my head. Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Chrisb (01-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    A very nice introduction, thank you for telling us how you got to Mirage ownership. Do you do a lot of driving and transporting items? I'm new to the Mirage, myself. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of the 2012 Honda Fit I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisb View Post
    My first car was a $90 1957 Volkswagen beetle. Along with owning that car, came the concept of ‘the people’s car’: a basic, unpretentious, reliable car for ordinary folk. That’s stuck with me. Since the 1970’s, smaller hatchbacks have been my preferred vehicles. Up to a few months ago, our car had been a 2016 Chev Sonic LT turbo hatchback. Starting in June, I became aware that this perfect-in-so-many-ways car had the potential to give considerable grief brought on by turbo-related issues and a few months later, started considering alternative hatchback options that promised reliability. With choices in this area dwindling, my final contenders were a recent used Toyota Yaris or Mitsubishi Mirage.

The fruit of my search was a new 2019 Mirage LE CVT (50 kms on the odometer), purchased early August. Off-putting that it took this Mitsubishi dealer 2 1/2 years to sell their own Mirage vehicle, while only a week to sell my traded-in 2016 Chev Sonic. The Mirage to me seems one of the very few true descendants of the people’s car concept. I’ve added a ScanGauge fitted to a 3D printed bracket that just friction fits in the starter button hole. In the process of ordering 185/55x15”all-weather tires, I saw A-Team red line wheels, the right size for the Mirage, but on ordering found they’d been discontinued, so my marine-duty red pin striping of the standard Mitsubishi wheels is Plan B.

So far average fuel consumption on the Mirage has been 48.8 mpg (Imperial)/ 40.6 mpg (US) /5.8 LHK -- about 13% better than what I averaged with the Sonic. With driving in this region often either a fast motorway trip or grid-locked crawl on the same motorway, great mileage isn’t easy. Best ever from the Sonic was about 3 mpg (Imperial) inferior to best so far from the Mirage (54.3 mpg), not much difference. So I’ve traded the enjoyable punch of the turbo-charged engine for hoped-for reliability, one of those decisions you can never really evaluate as best. But I quite like the Mirage and appreciate this forum. Thanks!

Attachments: Photo of the car, 18 Lack tables in the trunk & room for more, Scangauge fitted, 3D printer Scangauge bracket stl file zipped in case anyone wishes to use it.
    Welcome!
    Can confirm Sonics are junk as far as reliability goes compared to the Mirage. I have 3 broken sonics(non turbo) in the shop right now all for different reasons. They do handle better than Mirage's but leak oil and coolant from everywhere and always have the engine light on for some reason.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Chrisb (01-18-2022),Dirk Diggler (01-24-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Magician View Post
    A very nice introduction, thank you for telling us how you got to Mirage ownership. Do you do a lot of driving and transporting items? I'm new to the Mirage, myself. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of the 2012 Honda Fit I had.
    Thank you for your welcome. Being retired and able to do many errands by foot, no, I don't do much driving. The 18 Lack tables were for someone who doesn't have a nearby Ikea. I too had a Honda Fit, 2009, now owned by my grandson.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Waves from Ottawa!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 88coltturbo For This Useful Post:

Chrisb (01-21-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    always nice to see another forum member from the GTA(greater toronto area).
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Chrisb (01-21-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisb View Post
    My first car was a $90 1957 Volkswagen beetle. Along with owning that car, came the concept of ‘the people’s car’: a basic, unpretentious, reliable car for ordinary folk. That’s stuck with me.
    Well said, that pretty much sums up my reasons for buying my Mirage new 8 years ago. Has been a good unpretentious grocery hauler, and commuter to work. Does that with the lowest gas cost for 8 years has added up. Gas prices go up and down like a yo yo so Mirage is always a winner at the gas station. I am filled up and gone while others are still filling up lol. The maneuverability of the Mirage is amazing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Chrisb (01-21-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Mirage is always a winner at the gas station.
    We Mirage owners need a rear window sticker that says something like,

"ALWAYS WINS! At the gas station..."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

craigq (01-22-2022),dspace9 (01-21-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes! And add an asterisk, * "does not win any races, however.."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)