Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hello from The Netherlands!

Country
    Macedonia
    Thanks
    Welcome Vincent! A fellow Space Star owner here aswell!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think most European countries require passing a driving test with a manual transmission. If you don't take your driving test with a manual transmission, your license will have restrictions on it. Given most vehicles are manuals there, I can understand that requirement.

My son-in-law is Finnish. He had to test with a manual transmission to get his driver's license without restrictions. It's a very common practice in Europe.

Things may have changed, but a neighbor of mine used to travel to Europe quite often. Renting an automatic was 4 times more expensive than a manual.
    And 4 times more expensive to find a reliable automatic transmission technician here to fix it up for you if they break. Here in MK, we have manual-transmission only license, but the weird thing is that driving schools recently started offering diesel cars for newbies, which makes the process of getting a driving license a lot easier. Just slowly release the clutch and the car will go on easier than a gasoline car.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to george For This Useful Post:

vintzend (02-02-2022)

Thanks, MetroMPG and George!

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    That's a common sentiment here as well. This car is positioned in North America as a budget, entry level runabout. When you buy the top model with all the options, it's too much money -- the same price as some arguably better cars.
    Yeah, I spent a LOT of time on on-line configurators, from all kinds of brands and types of cars, before making up my mind.

It was not an easy choice. I could have spend the same money on a better car (I love the new hybrid Yaris and Mazda 2, or maybe Renault Clio), but then no money left for the stuff that I like from the top tier Space Star (keyless operation, nicer looking rims, camera...) and options like the body kit and parking sensors. Oh and did I mention that I consider the 2020 facelift a great improvement? Huge fan of Mitsubishi's Dynamic Shield design.

About the only car that I considered and will be available for a similar price as a new Space Star is the brand-new European exclusive "Aygo X" from Toyota (apparently even designed in Europe), but I don't like SUVs, so also not pseudo SUVs like that thing (top tier has 18" wheels!). I bet that will be a great car for a younger audience and/or more adventurous people, though!
    Last edited by vintzend; 02-02-2022 at 10:35 PM.

Was not sure if it's OK to post non-Mirage car photos, but saw some others in a different thread.

FWIW here's a photo of the Europe-exclusive (AFAIK) and top-tier "Aygo X", which will replace Toyota's current Aygo range completely.

Name:  05-Toyota-maakt-alle-prijzen-nieuwe-Aygo-X-bekend-scaled.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  81.8 KB

The dashboard is rather nice IMO:

Name:  06-Toyota-maakt-alle-prijzen-nieuwe-Aygo-X-bekend-scaled.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  85.1 KB

It is apparently built on a shorter version of the platform used by the new Yaris, a car I really like a lot
    Last edited by vintzend; 02-07-2022 at 06:59 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vintzend For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-07-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vintzend View Post
    Was not sure if it's OK to post non-Mirage car photos, but saw some others in a different thread.

FWIW here's a photo of the Europe-exclusive (AFAIK) and top-tier "Aygo X", which will replace Toyota's current Aygo range completely.

It is apparently built on a shorter version of the platform used by the new Yaris, a car I really like a lot

It is built on the same platform as the older Aygo, and its Citroen and Peugout variants. It looks nice at first look, but look into the "luggage compartment" und under the hood. Then you may change your mind.
    My daughters C1 doesnt even accept a crate of soda pop in the luggage compartment, no chance of transporting a normal suitcase. To change the alternator belt you have to remove the front bumper. To check brake fluid you have to remove everything between the hood and windshield, including the wiper and wiper motor, the air channel, its cover, etc etc, ugh...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    It is built on the same platform as the older Aygo, and its Citroen and Peugout variants. It looks nice at first look, but look into the "luggage compartment" und under the hood. Then you may change your mind.
    My daughters C1 doesnt even accept a crate of soda pop in the luggage compartment, no chance of transporting a normal suitcase. To change the alternator belt you have to remove the front bumper. To check brake fluid you have to remove everything between the hood and windshield, including the wiper and wiper motor, the air channel, its cover, etc etc, ugh...
    Beauty is only skin deep in that case. A Mirage is a nice vehicle to work on overall!

You should see a Ford Fusion, You gotta pull the front bumper and the headlight assembly to replace a headlight bulb. Even then it's still a pita cause the access hole to change the bulb is offset from the bulb itself and requires long pliers to grab the bulb. Cabin filter requires removing the glove box assembly. Not one that just snaps out like a Mirage but one that you have to pop off cheap trim from the dash without breaking it to access bolts that hold the stupid glove box to the dash. Things are evolving backwards.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Mark (02-07-2022),vintzend (02-07-2022),Wil B (02-07-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You should see a Ford Fusion, You gotta pull the front bumper and the headlight assembly to replace a headlight bulb. Even then it's still a pita cause the access hole to change the bulb is offset from the bulb itself and requires long pliers to grab the bulb. Cabin filter requires removing the glove box assembly. Not one that just snaps out like a Mirage but one that you have to pop off cheap trim from the dash without breaking it to access bolts that hold the stupid glove box to the dash. Things are evolving backwards.
    On a positive note - I am very content owning my current Mirage. I don't find anything else to be more appealing on the market price-wise today. In the past, there was always that vehicle you wished you could own. I've sort of lost that feeling in recent years. Cars have to much garbage on them, & things are evolving backwards.

For example, electric parking brakes would suck. A manual parking brake allows you to brake during an emergency safely. Electric parking brakes just lock up the wheels. It's a stupid change I could go on, but I have stuff to do. Later everyone!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-07-2022),vintzend (02-07-2022)

Country
    Macedonia
    Thanks
    They are atleast fun tho

EDIT: Definetely recommend this series of videos to anyone, and especially the whole channel with the neverending Mini project

Last edited by george; 02-07-2022 at 09:37 PM. Reason: added clarification

It is built on the same platform as the older Aygo, and its Citroen and Peugout variants.
    I don't think so, in a major Dutch car news magazine, they say that at Toyota's factory the Aygo X, Yaris and Yaris Cross all roll off the line, mixed together.

Also, Citroen and Peugot are not involved in any way anymore.