Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from The Netherlands!

Hello from The Netherlands!

To quote Obi Wan: "Hello there!",

I'm Vincent and I am from The Netherlands. I hope I'll be forgiven for my not always award winning English grammar skills. As many will know, in Europe we call the Mirage the "Space Star". Even though Mirage sounds much cooler to me..., I'll stick to the latter.

Currently I drive a 2018 Space Star, which is my second car. Prior to that, I drove a first generation and very bare version of the Kia Picanto (I bought it in 2009, it was from 2004 IIRC). I was involved in a car crash in early 2018 unfortunately (somebody hit my car from the back, when I had to stop for a red traffic light) and my Kia was considered total loss. When I asked my car dealer to look for a used Picanto with automatic transmission, at a certain max price as a replacement, their sales manager said "for only a little bit more, you can drive a new car, should I send you a flyer?".

...and that's how I was introduced to the Mirage/Space Star. In the end I chose the "Connect Pro 1.2 CVT" trim level (our trim levels are completely different than those in the US I believe). It has a 80 hp motor, cruise control, built-in navigation system with Android Auto in "White Pearl" color. And for the first time I had air-conditioning in my car :-) I was SO happy with this car.

Some people I know said they don't like my car and I could have spend my money much better, by buying a second hand car, but I simply love and loved it. It's so practical and reliable. And it has so many features (rain/light sensors...). I had not expected I'd ever buy a car new, but Mitsubishi made it possible. A relative was so impressed, he bought one new as well and enjoyed it for a few years.

Mitsubishi recently announced its plans to leave the European car market completely, but later made a U turn and decided to stay in at least some European countries, including my country. They are expected to sell rebadged Renault cars, instead of selling their own models here. It's also generally believed the Space Star will be discontinued in Europe as part of those business developments.

When I got a nice offer for my 2018 Space Star, I realized I had two options with my budget, if I would buy a car "new" again: either I could chose a relatively simpler car again, but this time with more optional accessories (and still save some money), or choose a bare trim level of a technically better car.

Given how happy I already am with my Space Star, and that I love having features , the fact that I actually LOVE the front of the new 2020 makeover (compared to my 2018 one) and it will be gone from sale forever soon, I chose the Space Star again, but now the max trim level and some additional options (spoiler and skirts at all sides) and this time I chose metallic red as color.

As they don't keep this version of the Space Star on stock, I'll have to wait at least 6 months to get it shipped from the factory to Europe (I'm expecting delays because of the chip shortage and other sad things happening in the world).

So I'll have to wait a bit. Hope this introduction was not too long! It's very nice to see a place where this car is really loved :-)

Kind regards, Vincent

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vintzend For This Useful Post:

craigq (01-26-2022),Fummins (01-27-2022),MetroMPG (02-01-2022),twister77 (01-26-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Vincent, as a Mirage owner (2015 then 2018 - USA) the name SPACE STAR is so much cooler.
    Typically Japanese.....cute and cartoony!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wil B For This Useful Post:

vintzend (01-26-2022)

Welcome! I believe there's another one or more forum members also from the Netherlands.

What kind of warranty did you get with your space star over there?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

vintzend (01-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Welcome! I believe there's another one or more forum members also from the Netherlands.

What kind of warranty did you get with your space star over there?
    I've looked it up. As of 2015 they offer two years warranty with unlimited distance. The remaining three years, there's a max limit of 100.000 kilometres (which I believe translates to 62137 miles?)

I should have noted that I don't drive much, I guess about slightly more than a tenth of that maximum kilometres a year, so for me it'll normally be the full 5 years for sure.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vintzend For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-27-2022),Pablo (01-28-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Welcome Vincent!

Sounds like you like the Mirage/Space Star for the same reasons many of us do!

I see Mitsubishi only carries two models in the Netherands (Space Star & Eclipse Cross PHEV).

I like your trim level names (Entry, Cool+, Intense, Intense CVT, & Instyle CVT) for the Space Star.

We have just boring letters (ES, LE, BE, & SE) for our trim levels.

Nice introduction. I enjoyed reading it!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vintzend (01-27-2022)

Country
    Spain
    Thanks
    It is different in each country, here in Spain the names for the different terminations of the Space Star (Mirage) are: Motion, Kaiteki and Kaiteki CVT, the latter with automatic transmission.

All models are directly fitted with alloy wheels and no hubcaps. And enough equipment, basically differ in that the Kaiteki have digital display with Android and Apple connectivity and some aesthetic details such as turn signals on the mirrors.

Mitsubishi here only sells three models, and it is curious because their best-selling car and had very good numbers an SUV called ASX here (I do not know if it had the same name there) was withdrawn from the catalog a year ago and a little ... And from what I've read on the internet, they do not intend to bring more models to Europe.

A pity, because in Spain are sold mainly SUVs and utility cars segment B ... a little bigger than the Mirage.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pablo For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-01-2022),vintzend (01-27-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    It is different in each country, here in Spain the names for the different terminations of the Space Star (Mirage) are: Motion, Kaiteki and Kaiteki CVT, the latter with automatic transmission.
    The number of trims of the Space Star have changed a lot over the years here in Holland. I have a driver license for automatic transmission cars only, so I only look at CVT models. In 2018 there were 4 choices with CVT, a year later 5 and now only 2 trim levels.

With the ridiculously high Dutch taxes added, the car has become very, very expensive, especially for automatic transmission drivers. My dealer admitted they didn't sell a lot of Instyle (top level), in fact I had the idea his own personal opinion was that it was too expensive.

Mitsubishi here only sells three models, and it is curious because their best-selling car and had very good numbers an SUV called ASX here (I do not know if it had the same name there) was withdrawn from the catalog a year ago and a little ... And from what I've read on the internet, they do not intend to bring more models to Europe.
    My dealer said he was looking forward to the Renault deal, as at least he could offer more type of models.

Some people predict Renault will give Mitsubishi an ASX replacement for us Europeans. We will have to wait and see.

I don't like SUVs, so will almost certainly not buy one.

A pity, because in Spain are sold mainly SUVs and utility cars segment B ... a little bigger than the Mirage.
    If they come up with a Renault Clio with hybrid petrol motor, I might be interested to choose the brand yet again for a next car. But I can also imagine EVs will start becoming interesting then.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to vintzend For This Useful Post:

Pablo (01-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by vintzend View Post
    I have a driver license for automatic transmission cars only
    Wow. I've never heard of an automatic only license. Over here in Alberta(canadastan) you can drive pretty much anything that doesn't have airbrakes and isn't a taxi, ambulance or bus with a regular drivers license. I assume the rest of north america is similar to here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

vintzend (01-28-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Wow. I've never heard of an automatic only license. Over here in Alberta(canadastan) you can drive pretty much anything that doesn't have airbrakes and isn't a taxi, ambulance or bus with a regular drivers license. I assume the rest of north america is similar to here.
    I think most European countries require passing a driving test with a manual transmission. If you don't take your driving test with a manual transmission, your license will have restrictions on it. Given most vehicles are manuals there, I can understand that requirement.

My son-in-law is Finnish. He had to test with a manual transmission to get his driver's license without restrictions. It's a very common practice in Europe.

Things may have changed, but a neighbor of mine used to travel to Europe quite often. Renting an automatic was 4 times more expensive than a manual.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-01-2022),Pablo (01-28-2022),vintzend (01-28-2022)

Country
    Spain
    Thanks
    In Spain, the normal driving license is valid for all vehicles under 3500kg, whatever their transmission. But the test is with a manual transmission car.

Just yesterday, a good news came out: Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi in their alliance, will manufacture a new Mitusubishi ASX to be released in 2023. Based on the Captur in Renault's facilities in Spain. In other words, the car will be "Made in Spain" and not in Thailand.

And the agreement includes a second car that will surely be for 2025, also manufactured in Spain and rumored to be the replacement for the Space Star (Mirage) but something bigger, Hybrid and even with fully electric versions, using the platform of the Ēlio to try to compete in that segment (B) market that are not present here in Europe.

https://www.autobild.es/noticias/nue...espana-1002243 (notice)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pablo For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-28-2022),vintzend (01-28-2022)