Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014, Is it the Water Pump Casing? (Broken bolt installing new thermostat)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2014, Is it the Water Pump Casing? (Broken bolt installing new thermostat)

Broke a bolt on a 2014 Mirage while putting the thermostat back on!!! Tried to extract it and the metal housing that the bolt goes into cracked a chip off, I am assuming it's part of the engine - right? To extra clarify it's the bottom left part that chipped and it's not the hose section - as in the metal part that the hose connects to and you bolt on. The part where the gasket and thermostat go is all intact. Is there a fix for it? Like a gasket sealant and some jbweld on that outer area? The other bolt is fine. It's a chip off the part that hold the bottom left bolt. I have a pic, but not sure hoq to up load.

Last edited by rooksstrife; 01-31-2022 at 04:58 AM.

Attachment 22818
    I'm guessing you broke the lower thermostat housing bolt? It's kinda hard to decipher and reading is hard.
    Is this where you broke it? Is the hole where the thermostat sits broken too? I don't have much faith that jb weld can hold pressure. Without looking at it I'd just find a grown up to fix that, someone that can repair aluminum. https://lnengineering.com/aluminum-block-repair.html But you'd probably have to either tow your car there or remove the engine and send it over.
    Attachment 22819
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-31-2022 at 12:40 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-01-2022),Top_Fuel (01-31-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is where it broke. I'll reach out to those people and see what they say.

Any other suggestions or fixes?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Try to post a picture. I don't know how to do it from a phone...but if you can get the image on a computer, then just do this...

When you reply to this thread, notice the images above where you are typing your reply. Click on the image that the arrow is pointing to below. This is the "upload an image" button...

Name:  add_a_pic.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  34.7 KB

When you click on that button, the following box will open up...

Name:  add_a_pic2.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  22.7 KB

Then click on the Browse... button and find the image on your computer. Select the image and then click the Upload File(s) button. The image will be added to your post.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-31-2022),Fummins (01-31-2022),MetroMPG (02-01-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Photos attached - as you can see it's the bottom left part - it chipped off under pressure from the extractor. I am toying with the idea of some Permatex 22071 Water Pump and Thermostat RTV Silicone Gasket, bolt the top bolt, and then jb weld in that chip section + a small bolt. If not I am calling around to see the cost to fix it right - the mentioned people above don't do those repairs. I am just not sure if that one bolt would be "safe" and that rigged up one.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by rooksstrife; 01-31-2022 at 03:32 PM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    If you want to repair something, always do it properly or get help if you don't know how! Mess it up any further and you will need a new engine! Rigging it McGyver fashion or worse just doesn't cut the cake but makes you pay $$$! through the nose for a new engine.

For a start, you tore the bolt off. The metal hardness of these bolts means it was totally and grossly overtightend.
    You then tried to extract the torn off piece and f***ed up the cast engine block.
    Now the block is f***ed up and a piece of bolt is stuck in it.

May I suggest you get experienced professional help instead of messing it up further beyond repair. To save the engine, the torn off piece of bolt must be extracted properly. No way to get around that, and no short cuts possible! Nothing for a novice.
    After extracting it properly, you could check if the beginning of the thread in the aluminium is OK. If not, it can be re cut or a heli-coil pulled in. Nothing for a novice.
    Then you could replace the thermostat with its attached gasket, and refill the cooling system.
    'In the light of your capabilities, I would very strongly suggest getting experienced professional help rather than messing up again and having to buy a new engine.
    Last edited by foama; 01-31-2022 at 03:55 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (02-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is my fiance's car - let's just start there. I don't intend make a SH!t repair. I appreciate the help and I get some of the criticism. It really was a series of unfortunate events coupled with not being familiar with the mirage mechanically. I got a hold of a machine-weld shop that will take a look, but might not do it. So if they don't I am really looking for a best of the worst solution. This was supposed to be an easy thermostat change - my mistake. Also, I have found it super hard finding any videos on repairing these cars.

Question: how do you remove that wire next to the broken section so I can move the hose further? That and I am sure they are going to want it out of the way if they are welding it.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Things can happen, Murphy's law, but it beats me how an adult can do something like that. My third grade daughter helps me in the workshop with routine repairs like rebuilding calipers or refitting timing belts, but has never ever accomplished anything like that.
    Last edited by foama; 01-31-2022 at 04:24 PM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rooksstrife View Post
    This is my fiance's car - let's just start there. I don't intend make a SH!t repair. I appreciate the help and I get some of the criticism. It really was a series of unfortunate events coupled with not being familiar with the mirage mechanically. I got a hold of a machine-weld shop that will take a look, but might not do it. So if they don't I am really looking for a best of the worst solution. This was supposed to be an easy thermostat change - my mistake. Also, I have found it super hard finding any videos on repairing these cars.

Question: how do you remove that wire next to the broken section so I can move the hose further? That and I am sure they are going to want it out of the way if they are welding it.
    You could download the factory service manual, the FSM. It is very detailed and a good starting point. You can find links in this forum.

Answer to your question: The wires lead to connectors, simple plugs and sockets. The connectors click in place onto the particular socket, and a latch sort of piece on the plug can be pressed to release the catch so it can be pulled apart.

Any mechanical workshop that does welding, cutting pieces of metal, threads, etc, might likely be of help in extracting the piece of bolt. No welding needed if nothing more gets chipped off. You may need to remove the front cladding ("bumper") for access, see the FSM for instructions.

When you tighten bolts, please do observe the correct torque! Have somebody show you what that means in actual practice. The thermostat bolts for example, are tightened lightly by hand with a tool that looks like a screwdriver, but has a size 10 socket on the end. No more force than that needed! You will also need a new M6 x 20 bolt.

Last edited by foama; 01-31-2022 at 04:28 PM.