Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014, Is it the Water Pump Casing? (Broken bolt installing new thermostat)

Attachment 22826
    Push here
    Attachment 22827
    Shat happens. Broken bolts can be a pita! One time I tried drilling through a broken exhaust manifold bolt. I dulled a few drill bits and couldn't drill through it. Then one bit I tried cut through it like butter, right through the bolt and into a water jacket! Nothing a lot of thread sealant couldn't fix!
    If you get that bolt out, tap the threads and you're good to go. I wouldn't worry about a tiny piece missing, it'll probably seal fine as long as the break isn't where the o-ring sits.
    It's easier to criticize than help sometimes.
    I'm not a genius in real life I just play one on the internet.

Last edited by Fummins; 01-31-2022 at 04:15 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (01-31-2022),davidricardo86 (02-15-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I swear to you I did kill it with torquing it down - I could barely fit my hand in there from above. The bolt looked like ****, which made me actually cautions. Which in turn, after it snapped - I was thinking it should easily come out with left hand bits and then an extractor if the lhb-s didn't back it out. After it snapped I took the front bumper off. The stupid sh!t I did was crank hard with the extractor in there - I was just thinking there is no way this isn't coming out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Attachment 22826
    Push here
    Attachment 22827
    Shat happens. Broken bolts can be a pita! One time I tried drilling through a broken exhaust manifold bolt. I dulled a few drill bits and couldn't drill through it. Then one bit I tried cut through it like butter, right through the bolt and into a water jacket! Nothing a lot of thread sealant couldn't fix!
    If you get that bolt out, tap the threads and you're good to go. I wouldn't worry about a tiny piece missing, it'll probably seal fine as long as the break isn't where the o-ring sits.
    It's easier to criticize than help sometimes.
    I'm not a genius in real life I just play one on the internet.
    I really do appreciate your help and candor. Yep, no cracks anywhere else and the surface area where the thermostat would sit is perfectly safe and sound for the gasket to seal.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rooksstrife View Post
    I really do appreciate your help and candor. Yep, no cracks anywhere else and the surface area where the thermostat would sit is perfectly safe and sound for the gasket to seal.
    I agree with Fummins. Get that broken bolt removed (not easy task), & it should be perfectly fine.

Foama must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed or hates Mondays or something?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If you get that bolt out, tap the threads and you're good to go. I wouldn't worry about a tiny piece missing..
    Yeah...the pics you posted actually look better than what you described. I was imagining a lot worse.

The good news is that you aren't totally hosed at this point. If you aren't comfortable working with extractors, etc. then find someone who is. There's an art to it and you'll need a lot patience...which I don't usually have.

It's good you took the bumper cover off so someone should have a clean shot at it now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I agree with Fummins. Get that broken bolt removed (not easy task), & it should be perfectly fine.

Foama must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed or hates Mondays or something?
    I also agree with Fummins that if you get the bolt out properly, the thermostat gasket which presses on the inner part of the opening should seal it properly. Good luck!
    I didn't want to frighten anybody, just don't McGyver it, do it properly instead.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-15-2022),Fummins (01-31-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    To continue the stupidity with this... Another question for you all - I wanted to replace the thermostat's black o-ring that is sitting between the engine block and the thermostat. I can't find one at autozone or advance auto parts... is there something I am missing here or are they really hard to find/special order. Is it called something else? It's not broke, just want to extra seal this all up - no chances.

It's not showing in diagrams - https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse...ostat-1305a280
    Last edited by rooksstrife; 01-31-2022 at 05:37 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I wonder if the OEM thermostat comes with that o-ring? This is not a Mirage thermostat (I think it's for a Lancer) but it shows an additional rubber ring as part of the assembly...

Name:  thermostat.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  56.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Attachment 22830 That's kinda weird. All the aftermarket thermostats I found on rockauto for a Mirage don't seem to include the gasket. Oem does.
    It's irrelevant now but why were you replacing the thermostat in the first place? I haven't seen one fail yet. I do recall someone posting about how the pipe just above the thermostat rusted out though.

My gasket stayed in place when I tore my housing and thermostat off. Weird.
    Attachment 22831
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-31-2022 at 06:02 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (04-21-2022),Top_Fuel (01-31-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    The thermostat on mine was replaced a few years ago, because it didn't close all the way any more. It took ages for the car to warm up. In Europe they all come with the gasket. I bought one from Colorstat, one of the most popular brands, and of course it came with the gasket. BTW, Its the same part as in most SMART cars.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (02-15-2022),MetroMPG (02-01-2022),Top_Fuel (01-31-2022)