Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy Spark discontinued. 2022 is its last model year.

A bit unrelated, but according to a Dutch car magazine, the Volkswagen group recently announced they will focus mainly on "premium" cars from now on. Simply because those make more money with less sales. Ideal during shortages.

They should change their name accordingly then, shouldn't they?! :-/ .

Hard to imagine how the landscape will look in a few years...

At least Fiat announced that they intend to become the "Tesla for the masses" eventually (apparently their CEO announced something like that), so maybe not all is lost for us mere mortals that can't burn 40.000 euros on a car.

Some link about Volkswagen:
    https://www.ft.com/content/431c9f31-...7-ccb4d96d1733

...and Fiat:
    https://www.motor1.com/news/578423/f...models-europe/

Last edited by vintzend; 04-08-2022 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Grammar, added links and more blabla

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In general I am not a fan of Government intervention to sway market forces but in this case it seems to me that the Government could add an extra tax to make larger fuel-inefficient vehicles more expensive OR that they could give some sort of tax break to drivers that buy a subcompact to encourage more small vehicles on the road. But we see they have done neither action.

So all their "green talk" is just a bunch of malarkey. EV technology is nowhere near maturity so that is such a foolish place to concentrate our efforts. And everyday we see more and more bohemoths on the road. Making the streets more dangerous for small cars like ours. These people are not very "forward-thinking" and do not consider the near-term future. The population continues to increase, that means more drivers and more vehicles on the road. We also know oil is a non-renewable resource and we will eventually run out of it.

Eventually the traffic will become so gridlocked that we just sit there like a parking lot and our commutes will become longer in time duration. And also the gov will use emminent domain to seize the properties near the highway and force those people to sell their homes in order to build more and more lanes on the highways
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There has been a gas guzzler tax on vehicles that don't meet an increasing fuel efficiency standard that's paid by the manufacturer (then the customer). There are EV tax credits at the state and federal level to shift production towards EV's. There I'd also technology being developed/tested for vehicle2vehicle and vehicle2infrastructure communications so driving is autonomous and traffic is controlled. Car companies are investing in ride share technology too as the idea of car ownership changes to transportation becoming more of a utility.
    The big question i have is the roads themselves. They're in bad shape even though we pay tolls and gas tax to vover their maintenance. Remember "you didn't build that"? Where exactly does the government get its money? The more fuel efficient cars become the less revenue to pay for upkeep which rarely seems to go there anyway. The gas tax gets raised until it's not enough then EV's become more expensive to register and electricity gets federal tax hikes. Current had prices make politicians happy because it only accelerated the cause and another rest of a giant piece of the economy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Yep, wow.

Crossposting this from the Mirage US/Canada sales thread...

Looks like GM was winding down Spark availability well before they announced they are canning it:

2022 ...

Month Mirage sales, US
    Spark sales, US
    Mirage sales, Canada
    Spark sales, Canada
    Q1 Jan-Mar 4917 278 406 128

---
    Not to burst Darin's bubble on the Mirage overtaking the Spark sales, but

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/04...-to-be-filled/

I wonder how many Mirages are on order for this year?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-13-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

I wonder how many Mirages are on order for this year?
    I wonder too. I bet WB stopped placing order but idk. It would be awesome if they do. I mean why not? Extra $ for them even at MSRP!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    There's mo' money to be made from selling mo'. Feed the classes, eat with the masses. Feed the masses, eat with the classes.

I'm betting WB wants as many as everything they can get their hands on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    There are some interesting comments after that story. The Spark fans sound a lot like people over here.

It’s as if, just maybe, they should keep building this.

With gasoline co$ting over $4 a gallon (USA)...maybe this ‘entry-level’ ICE vehicle should stay until a subcompact replacement is found.

...when I bought my first new car I narrowed it down to 2 cars based on price mpg and reliability record.

It’s about the only thing even remotely affordable right now. And it’s going away.

Buying a $14k new car with a warranty, while unglamorous, is more reliable than a used car which likely will have 80k+ miles on it.

There are a lot of people, in my area anyway, that travel over an hour one way to work. They need cheap high mpg transportation.

...my first new car purchase was a Geo Metro in 1988

With the average price of gas being north of $4 maybe GM shouldn’t kill all of their subcompacts? Ya think?

People will just buy Mitsubishis and Kias instead, not Bolts.

The Mitsubishi Mirage series is the a real competitor, but we’ll see whether Nissan keeps it on or not.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Good find!

I wonder if GM intends to fulfill all those orders.

Also, I wonder how many months a buyer will be willing to wait for a pre-ordered Spark.

Also, I wonder how many of those orders are from car rental companies (something I often wonder about Mirage sales.)

Times like these, I wish we had access to month-by-month sales figures, like back in the olden days.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Here's Why Mitsubishi's Mirage Succeeded Where Chevy Spark Failed Despite Being Much Worse

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/h...se-181134.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (04-16-2022),dspace9 (04-16-2022),Top_Fuel (04-15-2022)

I read the article but maybe i missed the "why" ? I thought they were going to give us some inside scoop we hadn't heard about before.

Only thing i got was that people became desperate and the Mirage being the only bull in the ring they had no other choice. They touched on the Mirage's strengths in a sentence but didn't go into any more details after that.

Where the Spark tried to wow buyers with tech and features, the Mirage simply aspired to be the most affordable, most efficient subcompact around, even if the interior quality feels like it's circa the year 2000 or something.
    As an economy car i think the interior is okay. The hard plastics are durable and easy to clean. The fit and finish is good and it doesn't squeak or rattle.

How many Mirage owners actually dislike their interiors because it feels cheap and it looks like it came from the 2000s? Rhetorical question.

Is the Spark's interior that much better? I've only sat in a Spark once and forgot to look it over.

Last edited by davidricardo86; 04-16-2022 at 01:27 PM.