Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy Spark discontinued. 2022 is its last model year.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Chevy Spark discontinued. 2022 is its last model year.

CarScoops: GM Is Killing The Chevy Spark This Summer After It Failed To Ignite Interest.
    https://www.carscoops.com/2022/02/gm...nite-interest/

“The Spark is being produced through August 2022, then it will be phased out of Chevrolet’s product lineup.” They added “Customers seeking comfort, function and style at an approachable price still have strong options within Chevrolet’s family of compact SUVs.”
    I'm guessing this is a bad thing for the Mirage to have no competition?

Last edited by MetroMPG; 02-03-2022 at 01:34 PM. Reason: (added info)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (02-02-2022),dragon2knight (02-08-2022),dspace9 (02-02-2022),fc321 (02-28-2022),Fummins (02-02-2022),MetroMPG (02-03-2022),Top_Fuel (02-02-2022)

More reason for Mitsubishi to keep raising it's prices. If you want economy you can have either a Mirage or a much more expensive ev with no range.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-02-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    - High gasoline prices
    - Exploding new/used car prices
    - You're now selling the best/cheapest/only economy car available

If the Mirage can't sell in decent numbers under these conditions, then I don't know what it's going to take. Of course this assumes that they can actually get some new inventory to dealers this year. My local Mitsubishi dealer has a grand total of 2 new cars available right now. I haven't seen a new Mirage on their lot for months.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-02-2022),Fummins (02-02-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    $22k Mirage? At that point you might as well go a class up and get an Accent or Rio.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...9137?undefined on the other hand you can buy a loaded gt spec Mirage up here for just over 17k USD ($22,000cad)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...9137?undefined on the other hand you can buy a loaded gt spec Mirage up here for just over 17k USD ($22,000cad)
    How hard is it to immigrate to Canada? Lol. I'm a healthcare worker and my wife is a teacher. Is that enough for Canada's immigration point system?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    - High gasoline prices
    - Exploding new/used car prices
    - You're now selling the best/cheapest/only economy car available

If the Mirage can't sell in decent numbers under these conditions, then I don't know what it's going to take. Of course this assumes that they can actually get some new inventory to dealers this year. My local Mitsubishi dealer has a grand total of 2 new cars available right now. I haven't seen a new Mirage on their lot for months.
    GM stocks over 4,000+ dealerships in the States.
    Mitsubishi stocks about 350 dealerships in the States.
    Just noting the difference, & nothing else.

I go back & forth between driving my Forester & Mirage more during the winter months. The Mirage is nothing more than an under powered tin can on wheels. I don't mind driving a car like that in the least, but I would not pay $15,000-20,000 for something like that. Add all the crap you want, & it is still a tin can on wheels. I don't care if it's the cheapest, only economy car left in the States. I could not spend that amount on a Mirage & feel good about it.

I honestly don't see myself buying another new vehicle in my lifetime. Someone else can pay those initial years of depreciation on a vehicle. My best purchases have been low mileage used cars.

The only exceptions to that have been

My 1990 Ford Festiva L manual (designed by Mazda, built by KIA, sold by Ford) - Ford offered a $1,000 rebate making a base level Fesitva $5,300 brand new in 1990. We got $850 for a piece junk Plymouth Horizon that day & drove the Festiva home.

My 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage ES manual. Once I discovered WB was selling these cars brand new for $7,500-9,000 (depending on the loyalty, VIP, or military rebates you qualified for), I gave up looking at low mileage used cars.

In between those two new vehicle, I bought low mileage used vehicles. For example -

I paid $12,000 for my 2000 Honda CR-V LX AWD manual with 20,000 miles in 2004. It was a private party purchase from a registered nurse who used it as her winter vehicle. She stored the CR-V during the rest of the year & drove a convertible & motorcycle. The couple were from my hometown area, but located in Green Bay at the time. My used 2000 Honda CR-V was the best value vehicle I have ever owned by far.

Times have changed. Prices have surely gone up. On a positive note - our Mirages aren't depreciating as fast during this current market.

I could care less about the Chevy Spark & other GM products. I had this conversation with a driving student last night. Her dad bought a slightly used 2019 Chevy pickup truck. They run a large green house plant business in my area. That truck was constantly leaving them stranded, & the GM mechanics could not solve the wiring issues. They eventually took it back. My brother missed a few days hunting at my place this past fall, because the starter went out on his 2018 GMC truck with under 30,000 miles on it. He's an electrician and knew it was the starter. It was covered under warranty, but really?

I was sad to see the Honda Fit leave the North American market. I wouldn't buy GM, KIA, Hyundai products these days.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-02-2022 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    GM stocks over 4,000+ dealerships in the States.
    Mitsubishi stocks about 350 dealerships in the States.
    Just noting the difference, & nothing else.

I go back & forth between driving my Forester & Mirage more during the winter months. The Mirage is nothing more than an under powered tin can on wheels. I don't mind driving a car like that in the least, but I would not pay $15,000-20,000 for something like that. Add all the crap you want, & it is still a tin can on wheels. I don't care if it's the cheapest, only economy car left in the States. I could not spend that amount on a Mirage & feel good about it.

I honestly don't see myself buying another new vehicle in my lifetime. Someone else can pay those initial years of depreciation on a vehicle. My best purchases have been low mileage used cars.

The only exceptions to that have been

My 1990 Ford Festiva L manual (designed by Mazda, built by KIA, sold by Ford) - Ford offered a $1,000 rebate making a base level Fesitva $5,300 brand new in 1990. We got $850 for a piece junk Plymouth Horizon that day & drove the Festiva home.

My 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage ES manual. Once I discovered WB was selling these cars brand new for $7,500-9,000 (depending on the loyalty, VIP, or military rebates you qualified for), I gave up looking at low mileage used cars.

In between those two new vehicle, I bought low mileage used vehicles. For example -

I paid $12,000 for my 2000 Honda CR-V LX AWD manual with 20,000 miles in 2004. It was a private party purchase from a registered nurse who used it as her winter vehicle. She stored the CR-V during the rest of the year & drove a convertible & motorcycle. The couple were from my hometown area, but located in Green Bay at the time. My used 2000 Honda CR-V was the best value vehicle I have ever owned by far.

Times have changed. Prices have surely gone up. On a positive note - our Mirages we aren't depreciating as fast during this current market.

I could care less about the Chevy Spark & other GM products. I had this conversation with a driving student last night. Her dad bought a slightly used 2019 Chevy pickup truck. They run a large green house plant business in my area. That truck was constantly leaving them stranded, & the GM mechanics could not solve the wiring issues. They eventually took it back. My brother missed a few days hunting at my place this past fall, because the starter went out on his 2018 GMC truck with under 30,000 miles on it. He's an electrician and knew it was the starter. It was covered under warranty, but really?

I was sad to see the Honda Fit leave the North American market. I wouldn't buy GM, KIA, Hyundai product these days.
    I'm no fan of one brand but from my experience over the years I'd take a Gm over the other two. At least some of them are designed to be repaired. I almost had to lift the body of a ferd to replace a front shock the other day. It's as though they figured by the time the shocks had to be replaced the vehicle would be at the end of it's 3 year life span. I guess they weren't far off.

Our Nissan's aren't much better. It looks like drunk children assembled them once you start pulling panels off. One was missing bolts that held the sliding door on.

I'm curious as to how the wife's kia holds up. It's only got around 20k kms but I already noticed a valve cover starting to sweat(or I spilled some during the last oil change?). I expect it to be a rusty knocking hulk by the time it's paid off lol. I do prefer driving it over my car any day though. It's quiet, has power and isn't too horrible on fuel on the highway. But they have a horrible track record for having turdpail engines.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm no fan of one brand but from my experience over the years I'd take a Gm over the other two. At least some of them are designed to be repaired. I almost had to lift the body of a ferd to replace a front shock the other day. It's as though they figured by the time the shocks had to be replaced the vehicle would be at the end of it's 3 year life span. I guess they weren't far off.

Our Nissan's aren't much better. It looks like drunk children assembled them once you start pulling panels off. One was missing bolts that held the sliding door on.

I'm curious as to how the wife's kia holds up. It's only got around 20k kms but I already noticed a valve cover starting to sweat(or I spilled some during the last oil change?). I expect it to be a rusty knocking hulk by the time it's paid off lol. I do prefer driving it over my car any day though. It's quiet, has power and isn't too horrible on fuel on the highway. But they have a horrible track record for having turdpail engines.
    The older 1990+ Chevy trucks were pretty decent. My very basic 2015 Impala with a V-6 engine has been a decent student driving car. I just feel things are quite overpriced for what you are getting these days. I don't care for anything new these days. If I needed to replace a vehicle today, I would looking at older stuff with less technology crap on it.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-02-2022 at 04:44 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-02-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    CarScoops: GM Is Killing The Chevy Spark This Summer After It Failed To Ignite Interest.
    https://www.carscoops.com/2022/02/gm...nite-interest/

I'm guessing this is a bad thing for the Mirage to have no competition?
    Definitely a sign o' the times.

BTW I was thinking about your post about moving to Canada. I would say with your credentials, I would give it a shot. They say Canada is desperate for workers. However I think USA is having the same problem.

Canada is expensive though. And cold, do you want to wake up to 20 inches of snow. Mark can attest to that too. But I always felt that if I lived in the USA, I could always move to Key West, live next to Hemmingway's house.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)