Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Countries with incentives to get a Mirage - does yours have any?

Countries with incentives to get a Mirage - does yours have any?

Does your country have any official incentives for buyers of efficient cars like the Mirage? I have seen a few references to reduced taxes/rebates in some places.

(Note: please, let's not make this a political debate about the role of government in the market. I'm simply out to make a list of countries that have anything like this in place.)

Japan:

I was reading about the Japanese version of the 1.0L Mirage: The "G" and "M" models, which are the most efficient, get a tax break because the car exceeds tougher fuel economy regulations that are coming in a few years:

The new Mirage launched in August 2012 surpasses Japan’s fuel efficiency standard for 2015 by 20%.

[...]

Based on Japan’s preferential “eco-car” tax plan for environmentally-friendly vehicles, G and M trim levels are exempt from both automobile acquisition tax and motor vehicle tax at time of purchase (the E trim level is eligible for a 75% tax cut). (source)
    Europe

In some other European countries, cars with low fuel consumption/emissions have a lower annual road tax, and can even be exempt.

EG: in Ireland, both the 1.0 and 1.2 L cars are advertised as having the 2nd best emissions rating ("band") for an internal combustion car: Band A2 - More than 80g/km up to and incl 100g/km. So the tax is less.

U.K.

All variants of the Mirage emit less than 100g/km of CO2. This exempts them from road tax and the London Congestion Charge.

Canada

Canada used to have a program to encourage adoption of cars that got better than 6.0 L/100 km, but it was cancelled a couple of years ago. It gave a partial rebate on the taxes paid on the purchase price.

Australia

Annual registration is lower for smaller engines:

One advantage of the three cylinder engine is the rego for one year is about wait for it $17 less then if it had a four cylinder engine - jamiec
    Thailand

Again, have to dig for the reference, but I'm pretty sure I read that cars built under Thailand's Eco Car manufacturing program (where the Mirage is built) qualify for a break for buyers there.

Found it:

Consumers too benefit from paying lower excise duties on eco-cars, provided they have engines smaller than 1300 cc (1400 cc for diesel engines). (source)
    Philippines - No. (See post #8)

Malaysia?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

What about Australia? The Mirage gets 5 stars in your Green Vehicle Guide -- does that earn it any kind of break?

Philippines? Any carrots to entice drivers there?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    No we don't get any bonus here in Oz for having an efficient car
    Last edited by jamiec; 02-07-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Other than lower fuel bills, of course.

You can be sure there won't be any government incentives in the U.S.

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yep just the lower fuel bill One advantage of the three cylinder engine is the rego for one year is about wait for it $17 less then if it had a four cylinder engine still that $17 gets you a few liters of go juice or motion lotion

Ha!! I'm adding that to the list.

Annual registration fees are different depending on which province in Canada. Here in Ontario, it's the same fee regardless of engine size or fuel economy.

Confirmed that Thai consumers also get a tax break for small-displacement cars. (As do the manufacturers for making them there.) Updated the first post.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Nope, nothing here from the Philippines aside from the very low ASEAN-wide tariffs. The tax structure here is based on the cars' retail prices, no incentives for engine displacement or fuel economy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Fixed price servicing-$250 every year or 15,000km for 4 years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 47.4 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.9 mpg (Imp)

Just noticed that the following discounts are listed when you "build" a Mirage on the Canadian web site:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/en/v...ms/es/builder/

Rebates

Education Edge

$500.00
    Whether you’re a recent graduate of a university, an accredited college, military academy, nursing school or trade school, you may be eligible to receive up to $500 off your new Mitsubishi purchase.

Military

$500.00

If you are a Canadian Citizen and part of the Canadian Military, you may be eligible to receive up to $500 off your new Mitsubishi purchase.

Mobility

$500.00

Eligible customers will receive up to $500 towards the cost of converting an eligible Mitsubishi vehicle with driver/passenger assistance equipment so it may be driven by a person with a disability or to allow convenient access to enable them to transport a person with a disability. The adaptive equipment must be purchased and installed within 12 months of the vehicle purchase date.

Loyalty Rebate

$500.00

If you are currently a registered Mitsubishi owner, you may qualify for the Loyalty rebate on the purchase of your next Mitsubishi vehicle. Offer valid for qualifying retail customers. Restrictions and rules apply.