Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which TPMS tool do you own and why?

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I can't argue with that. I don't have any regrets switching from the Bartec Tech 400SD and Schrader EZ-Sensor to the Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 and MX 1-Sensors. And I haven't had a single comeback from a customer who had Autel MX-Sensors installed. The last thing I want to have is an automaker changing from the standard-fare 315 or 433-MHz TPMS sensor to a Bluetooth unit. Or another one switching from one TPMS sensor and receiver supplier to another.

BTW: Isn't Genesis Hyundai's luxury brand? And personally, I bought the Ateq VT37 because not too long ago before I had the tool, a customer came into the shop and wanted to have his blank QWIK-Sensors programmed for his 2009 Chevrolet HHR. I took out the Bartec Tech 400SD and gave it a try. What I didn't know then was when Bartec removed QWIK-Sensor support for its most recent update. After looking through the programmable sensors list, I couldn't find QWIK-Sensor anywhere. I gave up, apologized to the driver, and headed to eBay to make my purchase in case another car shows up with a set of sensors unknown to us.

As for the different brands of programmable TPMS sensors covered by the VT37 (IntelliSens, U-Pro, EZ-Sensor, etc.), any of them can be programmed to the car's specific make, model, and year by generating a new sensor ID or copying it from one sensor to another using activation or manual input. It's only a matter of choice and availability.

And as for why are companies like Mitsubishi, Nissan, Hyundai, KIA, Subaru, etc.... not included? I don't have a straight answer, but according to ATEQ, their VT37 has worldwide vehicle coverage.

After working with tires for nearly a decade, I can tell you this: dealing with TPMS isn't fun.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    update just bought the tool TS508WF which ended up at about $160 with $15 shipping and tax. 4 sensors $117 or so.
    Keep ya posted
    Thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ken2400 For This Useful Post:

jtr990 (02-23-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr990 View Post
    Can't wait for the results. But be prepared to buy a 2nd activation tool, given Autel's quick tips on the Mitsubishi Mirage's TPMS relearn procedure using two tools (one plugged into the car's OBD-II port, the used as a trigger tool).
    This is exactly why he bought what he did. He can clone the new sensors to his existing sensors, & he will NEVER have to do what you are suggesting.

It's also the reason I bought what I did to clone 8 sensors for my Mirage & Forester. I NEVER want to do a relearn procedure, because it's a PIA (especially on a Mirage).

Since I am using 8 different wheels (summer/winter sets) on my Mirage, having them cloned to each other is so much easier. If I had 8 different sensor codes to deal with, I would have to do a relearn every time I switch wheels twice a year. By cloning my two sets of wheels, I NEVER have to do a RELEARN!!!! Same goes for my Forester!
    Last edited by Mark; 02-23-2022 at 01:02 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-23-2022),inuvik (02-23-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Copying sensor IDs on the TS508 shouldn't be a problem, whether it's Copy by Activation, by Manual Input, or by OBD.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    TS508 showed up today, Friday Feb 25 2022 Went to update it over WiFi after registering it. Wend so far BUT then failed. Installed desktop and finished that update using USB cable. Did not want to brick it. Then ran update again over WiFi and that one worked. Now says latest version.
    I await the TPMS sensors
    Bought 4 snow tires with studs today on Facebook Marketplace. Put air in them to see how long they will hold. Rims rusted BUT I have 4 rims from a Mirage in a junk yard that look like new so I will be using them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ken2400 For This Useful Post:

jtr990 (02-26-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Can't wait for the results. I wonder, what brand of snow tires are they?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The winter tires and rims I bought so far
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update I was able to read all
    4 tires on the 2015 Mirage
    4 rims/tires I bought for the snow tires
    4 tires on a 2009 Hyundai Sonata

So I am happy with the tool so far.
    The new sensor say they will be mailed by Monday

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ken2400 View Post
    The winter tires and rims I bought so far
    185/65r14 are large snow tires for a Mirage.

The Mirage is not blessed with much weight up front. Even the downward pressure on 165/65r14 snow tires isn't spectacular. If given the choice of 165, 175, or 185 wide tires, I would pay extra for 165 wide snow tires. My light (1,713 lbs) FWD Ford Festiva (used 14 winters) was superior to my current Mirage in snow. I attribute that to its narrow 145SR12 tires.

On flat roads & highways this probably doesn't matter as much. I don't make it to my nearest neighbor's house without good snow tires on some days. It's also why I own a Forester with snow tires.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

jtr990 (02-27-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Agree but I could not pass up the price 4 for $100 with studs.
    $100 rims from a newer Mirage in good shape no rust
    $100 tires
    $160 TPMS tool
    $110 sensors
    $100 to 150 mounting and balancing
    Adds up Fast

If it was for me I would have passed up the TPMS stuff BUT my daughter is involved so
    in for a penny in for a pound