Thread: TTAC: blog proposes Mirage spec grassroots racing series

TTAC: blog proposes Mirage spec grassroots racing series

Name:  Picture_38.png
Views: 164
Size:  7.4 KB

The Truth About Cars floats the idea of a new race series based on the cheap, lightweight Mirage:

I think it would be a great basis for a grassroots Spec Racing series that would cost very little and provide, at the very least, marginal thrills. The production spec Mirage weighs 1,973 lbs in base trim with a manual transmission, or the same as a Lotus Elise...

[...]

Off the shelf suspension components and better brake pads might turn the car from a “jellyfish” (as one British magazine described the handling) into something tolerable. With any luck, the cars will lap as fast as an NB Miata...
    Source: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...es-spec-mirage

A couple of interesting comments below the article.

I remember about 15-20 years ago there was a Honda/Michelin spec series using the base Civic hatchback. Only mods allowed were some exhaust parts & wheel/tires (plus safety equipment, of course). The idea was an aspiring racer on a budget could actually buy one, put a cage in it and use it as a daily driver. Stuff the race wheels/tires in the back to bring to the track on weekends.

With the factory mufflers removed, a race sounded like a swarm of large, angry bees.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do it, youtube it, and let me watch hahaah