Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Iceberg, dead ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    That is a) b.s. and b) swayed in a way to look most advantageous.
    I agree. I'm no engineer but I have crushed, smashed and launched thousands of cars with a front end loader.....And I stayed at a holiday inn express.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-23-2022),Mark (02-24-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Structural means that it takes on loads (tensile and compressive) just like a steel panel member. It does not do that. It cannot do that.
    I should clarify. It can do it. I can't think of a good way to explain. Except, if a piece of glass where shaped like in the profile of a shock absorber (but shorter). And 2 holes were put at each end. If then testing jigs were assembled into the holes, it would take some level of tension, and some level of compression. But if the thickness of glass were the same as a piece of steel tested in the same way, the glass would be many standard deviations less rigid. And then in a real world scenario, if those 2 holes were then moved out of alignment (representing a bend) and then put under a load, it would shatter even more prematurely. Steel would bend and still take some amount of load.

The Glass Safety Council (or whatever they were named) are hyping up glass and it's capability.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    NOPE. I have never seen a windshield come unglued in a collision(except for every other russian dash cam video but most of those are held in by just a rubber seal) At least not one that's held in place with urethane. 70-early 90's vehicles maybe....
    Dudes that put my windshield in had to adjust it a few minutes after attaching it with urethane. Both were pulling with all their might to get it to move a couple mm. One guy said in another hour he could stand on the suction cup handle and it wouldn't budge. And he looked about 250 lb. I have no fear of it coming loose.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Mark are you saying that the glass companies are lying to me
    You quoted 7milesout & then questioned me. I am confused? Like Fummins, I refuse to answer, because I don't want my bank accounts frozen.

I only say that, because I don't know what I am talking about this point? I've been there before, however! I'll read a few more posts now & maybe find myself!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Dudes that put my windshield in had to adjust it a few minutes after attaching it with urethane. Both were pulling with all their might to get it to move a couple mm. One guy said in another hour he could stand on the suction cup handle and it wouldn't budge. And he looked about 250 lb. I have no fear of it coming loose.
    This reply reminds me. "Repair" at both the Hyundai and Kia plant was so rampant, it was frequent that front windshields were replaced. The guys that worked in this department were basically repair center techs ... they didn't to any assembly line work. I had some intense work on the windshield for a minute regarding some severe problem, and got to talk to these guys. I don't remember them telling me how they removed the windshield but they probably had high level tools. It took a long time because they would have to clean the urethane off as best they can.

But ... I wanted to say, I watched one of these guys apply a urethane bead around a replacement windshield and OMG! This guy who was built like Santa Clause ... his arm / hand / eye, he was as good as a robot! It was amazing to watch how good he was at laying a perfect bead. His installation was better than the assembly line because if he hit a urethane void, he could address it. A robot wouldn't know it layed down a void. Every now and then an air bubble would get in the urethane line and leave a small void in the urethane bead. The result was wind noise and water leaks. But this guy ... his skills were absolutely amazing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

This reply reminds me. "Repair" at both the Hyundai and Kia plant was so rampant, it was frequent that front windshields were replaced. The guys that worked in this department were basically repair center techs ... they didn't to any assembly line work. I had some intense work on the windshield for a minute regarding some severe problem, and got to talk to these guys. I don't remember them telling me how they removed the windshield but they probably had high level tools. It took a long time because they would have to clean the urethane off as best they can.

But ... I wanted to say, I watched one of these guys apply a urethane bead around a replacement windshield and OMG! This guy who was built like Santa Clause ... his arm / hand / eye, he was as good as a robot! It was amazing to watch how good he was at laying a perfect bead. His installation was better than the assembly line because if he hit a urethane void, he could address it. A robot wouldn't know it layed down a void. Every now and then an air bubble would get in the urethane line and leave a small void in the urethane bead. The result was wind noise and water leaks. But this guy ... his skills were absolutely amazing.
    Mark, a friend of mine installs all our windshields at work and my own stuff. He uses a recipcrocating saw with some fancy big knife blades on it to cut through the urethane.

Way quicker than the way we used to do it at the wrecker. We'd heat up a coat hanger with a torch and stab a hole through the urethane, go find a hood release cable with a nice comfy(ish) t-handle and feed the cable through, grab the other end with a pair of vice grips and start sawing. The guy on the inside had the crappy end, getting their hand slammed into the dash half the time. Piano wire works too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)