Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got rear-ended on my Mirage G4

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'd be very careful now with a private settlement. I've settled privately in the past when I knew it was very minor damage but at the price of parts and labor now even a 15-20MPH impact can cause thousands of $ damage. I recently had an accident sliding off the road into a ditch during a snow at about 10-15MPH. Obvious damage was front/rear bumper cover and left tail light. My estimate came in at over $4600 and the guy that did the estimate forgot to put the tail light and installation on the estimate. I'm guessing when it's all said and done it'll end up being ~$5000.

A Tiguan driver strikes again, eh?

Thread: RIP my sister's Camry Hybrid

(Killed by an inattentive Tiguan driver smashing into the back.)

Hope it turns out well for you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

The link is broken...
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Fixed - thanks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    If your in ontario, canada you must report collisions that have over 2,000 CAD in damage to a collision center within 24 hours or your insurance claim maybe denied. A very scammy strategy in Ontario is to pretend you want to settle privately then wait out the 24 hours then stop communicating with the victim to prevent them from making insurance claim. The photo top-fuel shared is of US dollar prices. I tried to get the bumper cover painted, the jankeyst cash only shop in toronto starts at $350 to repaint a section of the bumper. Im sure its over 1000 cad if you want a new metal impact bar and a new bumper cover and paint, there's a good premium if you want a new bumper cover painted because they will sand and repaint a section of the quarter panel and hatch/trunk lid as well to blend the paint colors. Also if you go through insurance normally they will also give you a rental car, painting cars is normally a multi day adventure.

if you have any, feel free to share Photos and dash cam footage, ive always wondered how well these cars hold up in accidents.
    Thank you Mohammad. I have attached the photo of the damaged rear bumper cover and the video clip of the bent impact bar hereName:  17.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  94.8 KB.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

The front bumper of the Tiguan that hit me looks intact, hit me right at the front plate.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    Thank you Mohammad. I have attached the photo of the damaged rear bumper cover and the video clip of the bent impact bar hereName:  17.jpg
    Looks ****ed to me. Remember the bar is curved so if it’s bent Inward it’s likely messed up the mounting point, it’s possible a new bar may not have mounting holes that align with your messed up frame.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Looks ****ed to me. Remember the bar is curved so if it’s bent Inward it’s likely messed up the mounting point, it’s possible a new bar may not have mounting holes that align with your messed up frame.
    Yes, the bar bent inward a bit. I checked the crash box on both sides, both looks fine, so i guess the frame should be ok? I dont feel a difference driving it. Got a quote about 2800 for replacing the bumper cover and the impact bar.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes, the bar bent inward a bit. I checked the crash box on both sides, both looks fine, so i guess the frame should be ok? I dont feel a difference driving it. Got a quote about 2800 for replacing the bumper cover and the impact bar.
    I don’t think you should jump to the conclusion that it should be ok. They could look ok and still be bent a few mm further apart making the new bar not line up. Also the suspension is attached much further up so it won’t effect the drive.

I believe it maybe not allowed to accept cash settlements over that 2k amount but I’m not sure.

You could always just buy a red bumper cover on kijiji and put it on yourself and call it a day. or just keep driving as is and pocket the cash. the top of my rear bumper cover looks much more messed up that yours from the previous owner loading heavy stuff in the back.
    Last edited by mohammad; 02-15-2022 at 03:48 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Get at least 3 quotes from reputable shops just to make sure they are looking the car over equally. Some estimators are better than others.

I'm still wondering if the person that hit you has a clue that this is approaching a $3,000 repair.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)