Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fog Light install and activation on your Mitsubishi Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Jibles being in mn hope you got the life time power train warr on your g4 when you got her. i got to have the dealer get my fogs to work because the door trick did not work for ours. ill be asking when they do the 30k trans filter and change the fluid were just under 20k on our 2021.

you must go slow to go fasssst

check us out and say hi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrU...gkC80APKc3cDrA

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My Mirage came with the driving lights where the foglights should be - Assuming I have access to a scanner to program the ETACS - Can I activate the switch and use the existing driving lights with different bulbs as fogs?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mirthmobile View Post
    My Mirage came with the driving lights where the foglights should be - Assuming I have access to a scanner to program the ETACS - Can I activate the switch and use the existing driving lights with different bulbs as fogs?
    Simple answer: No

I assume your day running lights (DRL) come on when the car is started or in drive, & your DRL turn off when your headlights are turned on (pretty much a Canadian DRL mandate).

If you want to have working fog lights, you would need a fog light housing that holds two bulbs (DRL bulb & fog light bulb), and it would have to be wired up as such. Since fog lights should work in unison with headlights, they would be a different/separate circuit than the DRL. If that circuit/plug is a part of the wiring harness, it could be done. That's provided you have the proper fog light housings that accept both the DRL bulbs & the fog light bulbs. Each type of bulb would be hooked to its own circuit within the fog light/DRL housing, & they would work independently of each other.

If both circuits/plugs are there, in theory one could eliminate the DRL bulb, add a fog light bulb, and then hook it up the fog light circuit/plug. It may still take a dealership to activate them, & no dealership is going to eliminate mandated DRL to give someone working fog lights. Thus, I don't see any way of getting around all this. If you want fog lights, it would require a fog light housing that holds two light bulbs (DRL & fog light). Each type of bulb would have a different circuit.

I don't live in Canada. I'm not positive how your wire harness is set up, & I look at this as a driving instructor (not a mechanic). Others can chime in if I am wrong. My feelings won't be hurt.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks. I haven't actually checked my car myself but I was under the impression that there was one plug/circuit, it's just utilized differently depending on what the ETACS thinks is in there.

I assumed one plug/circuit because the OEM fog light housings that I find online only have one plug.

Quote Originally Posted by mirthmobile View Post
    Thanks. I haven't actually checked my car myself but I was under the impression that there was one plug/circuit, it's just utilized differently depending on what the ETACS thinks is in there.

I assumed one plug/circuit because the OEM fog light housings that I find online only have one plug.
    The plug for the drl(driving light) is different from the fog light bulb. They use two different circuits. I don't know if you can activate fogs on the Canada spec 21+ or even older ones that have drl in the fog light housings. I looked at a 2023 SE and it has both fog and drl plugs but only has one hole in the housing for a bulb. I don't know if the drl and fog light bulb hole is the same or not? It would make more sense to use the same housing rather than make an entire different rear housing just for cars with only drl...

As Mark mentioned, if it's possible you'll need a housing with 2 holes or relocate your drl by wiring it to something like this

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)