Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage: nominee for Best Value 2022 @ Cars.com

Mirage: nominee for Best Value 2022 @ Cars.com

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 9.39.55 AM.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  76.6 KB

What’s eligible: Any 2022 model regardless of when it was introduced or last updated providing we’ve evaluated it since major changes.

Spoiler alert - the Mirage did not win. (They picked the $20,125 Hyundai Venue.)

But their synopsis of the Mirage is fair, especially for a big US car website...

Granted, the current-generation Mirage isn’t exactly inspiring to drive. But we can’t underscore enough how many features it has for the money. Rival subcompacts like the Chevrolet Spark and Kia Rio leave automatic braking on the options list or don’t offer it at all, and the Mirage’s fuel economy is unsurpassed by any non-electrified hatchback. Automatic climate control in this league? Only here, folks.

[...]

....the real value lies in the base hatchback trim, called the ES. It seems shoppers agree: As of this writing, the ES hatchback accounts for some two-thirds of all new Mirage examples going through Cars.com dealers.

Full article: https://www.cars.com/articles/best-v...f-2022-445834/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-25-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Getting nominated is half the battle.

Right on that 2/3s of Mirages sold are the base trim ones. Makes sense, I would never have bought my Mirage any other way. The Venue is cool, I like the optional tent you can get right from Hyundai. Would make a very inexpensive RV if you look at the price of any of those new. Even the old blackberry plant is now an RV plant from what I understand.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Nice! I'm glad it was nominated. Seemed like an honest review.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

Spoiler alert - the Mirage did not win. (They picked the $20,125 Hyundai Venue.)

But their synopsis of the Mirage is fair, especially for a big US car website...

ex wife has the Venue... and I have to say it I like it over the Mirage. Yes the Mirage has great MPG but is sub average on ride and noise. On both cars the auto break etc just there to be claimed in marketing but suck overall. The better value would be the RIO 5 or the Soul.
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    ex wife has the Venue... and I have to say it I like it over the Mirage. Yes the Mirage has great MPG but is sub average on ride and noise. On both cars the auto break etc just there to be claimed in marketing but suck overall. The better value would be the RIO 5 or the Soul.
    I have seen a couple Manual Transmission Venues on AutoTrader in a very nice Metallic Kiwi Green color with low miles for ~17ish but they have always been a fair distance from me. If one comes up locally, I definitely want to drive one.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I think vehicles like the Venue & Soul represent a good value, & any vehicle with a manual option remains on my radar.

I have liked the Soul since it first appeared. I even test drove a brand new 2013 Soul manual prior to buying my 2011 Forester in 2013. I had to pass on the Soul at time, because I really needed the AWD & the 2,500 pound towing capacity of my 2011 Forester. At $17,000, the slightly used Forester (15,000 miles) checked the right boxes for me.

Eventually, I wanted a 2nd vehicle to compliment my Forester. Once again I would have considered the Soul, but it didn't check all the right boxes. I wanted an affordable, reliable, economy car that consistently got at least 40-50 mpg.

When brand new Mirage ES manuals were selling for $7,500-$9,000 (depending on qualifying rebates), the Soul fell off my radar again. Even though used Soul manuals can be found everywhere, it still didn't check the right boxes for me. I was not willing to compromise on low price, reliability, and economy. Economy-wise, the Venue & Soul can't compete with a Mirage.

If AWD & towing weren't a concern in my life & I only wanted to own one vehicle, a more substantial vehicle like the Venue & Soul would be appealing. Currently, I have lost faith in the Hyundai/KIA brands. So my money would go elsewhere. If I was shopping for a vehicle like these, I would much rather find a low mileage Outlander Sport manual.

A slightly used, low mileage Outlander Sport manual may represent one of the best value these days. It's quite easy to find one for under $20,000. I also feel they look better than the Venue or Soul!
    Last edited by Mark; 02-27-2022 at 04:31 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

I have the Mirage, ex wife has the Venue, and I have to agree. She drives mainly city and get 32.5mpg, while outside its around 38. Not far from the Mirage but the ride is superb and the rest is just great overall!
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I have the Mirage, ex wife has the Venue, and I have to agree. She drives mainly city and get 32.5mpg, while outside its around 38. Not far from the Mirage but the ride is superb and the rest is just great overall!
    That's why a car like the Mirage needs to be priced accordingly. If a few thousand extra buys you a vehicle like the Venue, a Mirage doesn't appear to be a great deal.

I have a 2017 Mirage, because a brand new vehicle like the Venue couldn't be bought for under $10,000 OTD at the time. Many if not most vehicles are nicer than a Mirage. One might even say all vehicles are nicer than a Mirage. if one of those nicer vehicles were selling for the same price at the time, I might own one.

I think that's the message that got lost a few years ago. Mirages are really cheap! Today nothing is cheap!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Getting nominated is half the battle.

Right on that 2/3s of Mirages sold are the base trim ones. Makes sense, I would never have bought my Mirage any other way.
    Personally, I'd buy the top-trim Mirage if I were in the market for a replacement. The difference in price is only $1,900 between the base ES CVT and the loaded SE, plus there are even a couple trim levels in between. IMHO, the extra equipment makes the car look and feel much less like a 'bad credit special'.

This is something everyone forgets when they are talking about how much standard equipment the base model has. A fully-loaded Mirage would probably only cost another $10-15 a month. The alloy wheels look great, it comes with fog lights, better looking heated seats, and FAST key. This alone is worth the extra money to me.

I get people who want the cheapest car possible, but even the 'expensive' Mirage is pretty cheap.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-13-2022)

I'd like to see a comparison between the Venue and Mirage when they're both 5 years old. Sure you can pay a few extra thousand and get a more comfortable car that gets similar fuel economy but what's the actual cost of ownership gonna be after 5 or even 10 years, though I assume keeping a vehicle that long is far less common nowadays. I know Kia has come a long ways but I still don't have a ton of faith in them as far as longevity goes. My wife bought a new 2020 Sorento a few years ago and it's holding up ok besides one valve cover appears to be "sweating" but it's only got 20k kms on it. I'm not looking forward to the the day it breaks.

Edit:
    Just for sharts I took a look at the Venue drivers forum. There didn't seem to be many complaints. Most problems were either EU market cars, radio glitches(which seem to be more common across the industry)or windshield leak caused by poorly done undisclosed replacement before sale.

Last edited by Fummins; 04-13-2022 at 02:40 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)