Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 ES Rockford Fosgate

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    Awesome. Please let us know how it goes!
    It was fairly easy to install. The instructions were clear and everything fit perfectly. The only issue I seem to have is that I can’t update the amplifier. The instructions say to turn the key to the ACC position and wait for the ‘POWER’ and ‘COMM’ lights on the amp to illuminate. Then you are supposed to plug in the usb with the update file into the amp and the COMM light should begin flashing to indicate an update is happening. Well every time I turn the car on only the ‘POWER’ light comes on. I’m not sure why the COMM light won’t come on but I can’t update the amp because of it. The setup sounds good without the update like a modern car that has good bass but it’s not “window shaking” like I’ve seen in another post after someone was able to update the amp.

357sigman, did you notice anything about the COMM light or did it work from the start for you?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerotonin View Post
    It was fairly easy to install. The instructions were clear and everything fit perfectly. The only issue I seem to have is that I can’t update the amplifier. The instructions say to turn the key to the ACC position and wait for the ‘POWER’ and ‘COMM’ lights on the amp to illuminate. Then you are supposed to plug in the usb with the update file into the amp and the COMM light should begin flashing to indicate an update is happening. Well every time I turn the car on only the ‘POWER’ light comes on. I’m not sure why the COMM light won’t come on but I can’t update the amp because of it. The setup sounds good without the update like a modern car that has good bass but it’s not “window shaking” like I’ve seen in another post after someone was able to update the amp.

357sigman, did you notice anything about the COMM light or did it work from the start for you?
    it was weak before the update , but the usb updated just fine, after the update the bass was more refined

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 357sigman View Post
    it was weak before the update , but the usb updated just fine, after the update the bass was more refined
    So your COMM light next to the USB port was lit up before you plugged in the update?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Tried contacting RF support. They said they do not support these amps, the Mitsubishi dealership will be responsible for support. Contacted a nearby dealership just outside Phoenix because the Phoenix one is terrible. I was redirected to their “audio guy” who takes care of their oem stuff. Their audio guy said he’s never heard of an update for an amp without some sort of screen interface and told me to contact the dealership.

I’m getting worried that I’m stuck with a purchase that no one knows how to fix. To make it even better, the Mitsubishi warehouses say their products are non-returnable.
    Last edited by Zerotonin; 03-10-2022 at 01:29 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerotonin View Post
    So your COMM light next to the USB port was lit up before you plugged in the update?
    yes I waited for the light to come on then i plugged it in. what USB stick are you using ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    yes I waited for the light to come on then i plugged it in. what USB stick are you using ?
    I’m using an old 2.0 USB stick that I’ve had for a while. My problem is that the COMM light does not light up all, and supposedly that light needs to be lit before I can insert the USB to update. Ive thought about inserting the USB to update the amp anyway, but there is no way for me to know if the amp is updating because that light will not turn on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    is the power light coming on at all?
    if so shut it off plug the usb in and start it or have someone start it with you watching the lights ? it updates very fast.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    is the power light coming on at all?
    if so shut it off plug the usb in and start it or have someone start it with you watching the lights ? it updates very fast.
    Yes, the power light turns on. I will try that method next.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update: I plugged in the usb before turning the car on and I let the USB sit there for about 2 minutes or so just in case. I’ve noticed more bass resonance but I might be imagining it. A service tech that has installed a few of these systems reached out to me this morning and he said that if I’m able to hear clear quality at all with good bass that should mean its updated. He claims that a RF amp that needs the update will have bad audio quality all around. I wouldn’t know for sure as I do not have a comparison to go off of. I think my previous expectations overall of the system were a little too high as it’s just a 300 watt amp, but it’s still a major improvement over the stock system. It actually sounds like a modern car with good audio and doesn’t sound thin anymore.

It raises another question in my mind though, I wonder if the COMM light never lit up on the amplifier maybe because the amp was already updated for the model stereo that I have? I wonder if that light would light up if I plugged the amp into my old base stereo that it is not updated/tuned for. That COMM light could mean communication error or something similar and that would make sense if that light comes on for something the amp cant communicate with properly. I will have to test this out when I have some free time.
    Last edited by Zerotonin; 03-10-2022 at 01:32 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think I had the same issue with my install on the 2021 hatch model. I read through my texts with Karl and the amp light was blue but not the COMM light. I had to plug it in before powering the amp. Then the comm light came on and updated very quicklyName:  rockford.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  48.0 KB Sounds like you got it working.

Last edited by Christopher_B; 03-11-2022 at 08:06 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christopher_B For This Useful Post:

357sigman (03-11-2022),inuvik (03-12-2022)