Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replacing Outer CV Boot

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update:

After reading terrible reviews about trakmotive CV axles, the only axles available through rockauto for the mirage, we decided to buy the air powered tool by dorman. it is arriving on Monday and is supposed to stretch the boot without breaking it. We are trying a flexboot instead of the quickboot by dorman. I will update with results from this trial.

What boot were you using????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

The one I recommended in the first place is for use with the expensive air-powered boot stretcher. The part number is 614-001. The link to it is on the first page of this thread. I used 2 successfully in the last week.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here is the update.

With the air tool i was able to put a stretch boot on the car. i used a flexboot fb3000. I didnt have any luck with the dormans but i also wasnt using an air tool. The dormans ripped using the cone method. the flextboot was the right diameter and length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DBn...el=HunterPotts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hkpotts1 For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What boot were you using????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

The one I recommended in the first place is for use with the expensive air-powered boot stretcher. The part number is 614-001. The link to it is on the first page of this thread. I used 2 successfully in the last week.
    I used the 614-001 boot, but I ripped two in a row trying the cone method. Me and Shelly ordered the pneumatic stretcher and a flexboot fb3000. I had wonderful results and posted a video of it; it took a couple weeks due to schedule and weather restrictions. Fummins I want to thank you a lot because i had never heard of a stretch boot before you, only a split boot.

Quote Originally Posted by hkpotts1 View Post
    I used the 614-001 boot, but I ripped two in a row trying the cone method. Me and Shelly ordered the pneumatic stretcher and a flexboot fb3000. I had wonderful results and posted a video of it; it took a couple weeks due to schedule and weather restrictions. Fummins I want to thank you a lot because i had never heard of a stretch boot before you, only a split boot.
    I only knew they were a thing a year or so ago. I ripped one too until I made my own cone and used a lot o' lube.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I've been replacing a lot of outer boots on these cars lately. I can now get the axle out in a few minutes.

-I pull the cvt drain plug first so fluid doesn't puke out when you pull the axle out.
    -unbolt the wheel 21mm(after jacking it up...)
    -remove tie rod end nut(17mm)
    -whack spindle with a bfh to shock tie rod end loose.
    -remove ball joint nut 19mm(3/4")
    -Whack spindle at ball joint
    -Pry down on control arm and pop ball joint from spindle
    -Push axle from hub
    -Pry axle from the transmission

I tried to make a time-lapse videho showing how to remove the axle but I suck at youtubes. It's mostly just a shot of my a$$ and is only a few seconds long....

When replacing the boot, I was able to ditch the cone/funnel and just wrap duct tape up the axle and spray it with a lithium spray lube. That seemed to work the best. I tried Silicone spray and it sucked. I replaced a boot last week and accidentally installed it backwards(inside out) and was able to slide it back over the large end without tearing it using this method and lube. If the boot doesn't slide on quick and easy it's gonna tear.
    Last edited by Fummins; 07-04-2022 at 09:36 PM. Reason: not worth sharing crappy vid
    Mirage videos:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (07-06-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    In these parts, an aftermarket boot costs about the same as an entire joint including boot, clamps and grease. I would replace the that instead of messing with the boot.
    You could have a second person pushing the shaft towards the gearbox, and another giving it a mild whack with a hammer at the same time. That always worked fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    In these parts, an aftermarket boot costs about the same as an entire joint including boot, clamps and grease. I would replace the that instead of messing with the boot.
    You could have a second person pushing the shaft towards the gearbox, and another giving it a mild whack with a hammer at the same time. That always worked fine for me.
    Cool. If you can post where I can buy a New axle for under $10 then I’ll never bother with another boot. The cheapest pos axle I can find is $75 plus shipping, duty, and tax. And is about a week away. I can grab a boot off the shelf and have it replaced in under 10 mins.

Besides, wouldn’t you be thrown in jail or beheaded for using non oem approved parts?
    Last edited by Fummins; 07-05-2022 at 11:44 AM.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think maybe Fummins was referring to a joint kit vs. an aftermarket axle. Although joint kits are very hard to come by. It seems nobody aftermarket offers direct fit boots, joints, clamps anymore. Maybe because no one rebuilds them since it is cheaper to have the Chinese make them.
    I stock the WONH/Trakmotive here at work for the 17-18 mirage with manual trans. not sure it will fit my 2021. They are very hit and miss I will admit. Also, their catalog is not very good. I have had them make several corrections. This seems to be a new trend in aftermarket parts. Bad info permeates the industry and then everyone has the same bad listing.