Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Outer CV Boot

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Replacing Outer CV Boot

Hello everyone. I am having trouble replacing the outer cv boot on my wife's mirage. we bought two 2020 mirage's last year and of course the one time i drove hers i got ran off the road and wrecked it with 2000 miles on the odometer. so the factory warranty is now void as they wrote it up as a total loss. I bought a 2014 mirage at auction to repair hers. in the process of cutting off the bent control arm on her car, i so graciously nipped the cv boot with my grinder. Anyway put the car back together and she has put another 3000 miles on it with it spitting grease, because it was not high on her priority list Anyway i had pulled the motor/trans/axles out of parts car before scrapping. The cost of a new boot is $80 something,but the ones on the parts car are in perfect condition. I have bought the special CV boot clamp pliers and new clamps, but I am stuck.

I have removed the clamps on the parts car and have slipped the boot up the shaft, and have tried to knock off the outer cv joint with a hammer but it is not budging. I have downloaded the shop manual for the mirage, but it does not show removing the outer cv joint from the axle shaft. is there something special to this car, i thought the joint is just secured with a snap ring on the shaft but i'm hitting it pretty hard. I intend to do this without removing the axle from the transmission. Any help here? I don't to replace a perfectly good cv axle just the boot, but its being a pain.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update, I ordered a CV joint puller from amazon for $19.00. I will post results when it gets here.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I'm looking at the 2014-2015 shop manual, and it does have a section on replacing the CV boots. But (as usual) it's big on pictures and light on exactly how it's done. Here's the first page of that section...

Name:  axle_assembly.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  49.6 KB

A complete (aftermarket) half-shaft is about $100. I probably would have just replaced the entire assembly to save the frustration. But if you manage to get it apart, post some pics and let us know how you did it. I'm not sure anyone has just replaced a boot on one of these.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

I haven't had one apart, looking at that pic I assume you'd have to remove the axle and pull the inner part off. Have you considered just buying a Dorman Quickboot(I think that's what it's called). Not the goofy 2 piece boots that you glue together, it's a super flexible kind that doesn't require you dismantle the axle at all. I used one on my side by side and it's held up for a few years now. There is an expensive tool you can buy to expand the boot over the end of the axle. Or you can do what I did and just grease everything up and slid it on. They come in 2 different materials/colors, grey or black iirc. This would probably be a time saver provided it fits well and holds together for you. I'll try to find a link.

I don't know what size would work for you but here's one type:
    https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-11981-614-001.aspx
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-28-2022 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Added link

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

daleWV (03-01-2022),Top_Fuel (02-28-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Still waiting on the joint puller to come in. The excitement of today was I bought a 2014 DE manual at auction, listed as not running, for 1853.00 I had seen pictures of the inside of the key (transponder and fob) was missing, so i took a chance. Went to Raleigh, NC to pick it up, found the inside of the key lying on the dash, put it back in the key, started right up and drove it back to the beach. I am working Thursday through Saturday, but on Sunday I should be getting back to the CV joint on the 2020 LE.

As Top Fuel mentioned the shop manual is big on diagrams but not words, still its better than the shop manual for my 2004 kia rio, the translation into english makes it harder to understand the pictures, if you didn't think that was possible it is.

Fummins I hadn't stumbled across that before, I had contemplated a two piece boot but didn't see it lasting a month. I'm really astounded by your post, I would think it near impossible to stretch the small side over the joint, glad to hear that its been done in case it comes down to that. I'm in a pickle here my reputation is riding on this with the misses. I said I could do it after the dealer quoted $2000ish to remedy the problem, they were unsure if it could be done. I refered to the shop manual several days ago, the same page that top fuel posted, and it said it was replaceable. Dealer wanted to install a new axle, which they charge 1200 for the part alone, i found it for 180 on rockauto, but then I wouldn't have gotten to add to my tool collection, also I'm interested in learning new things, I've changed an axle but have never taken one apart, so I am taking the road less traveled here. I will keep y'all posted. I'm not sure that this post will be helpful to anyone as axles are pretty cheap on Rockauto, but its a topic that hasn't been covered before.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well the joint remover tool did not work.

https://www.amazon.com/KUNTEC-Propsh...e%2C109&sr=1-6

Fummins I tried the stretch boot, twice... one from oriellys and one from autozone. both tore. i used the cone method, right when it got onto the actual joint it tore, twice.

so it ended with me putting grease in the original boot and clamping it back down

i'll replace the cv axle with one from rock auto.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hkpotts1 For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-06-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Well that sucks. But thanks for reporting back what happened. It might save someone some frustration in the future.

So did the tool not fit the CV joint...or what exactly was the issue?

If you do get a Rockauto axle assembly, let us know how it goes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    it has a piece that bolts down over the axle shaft where the small side of the boot goes. the metal piece that bolts down is made of weak metal, so the part that is supposed to grip the shaft stripped out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  16466019216633149030851838568124.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  85.3 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's been my experience that any time driving with a torn boot ends up contaminating the grease with grit and moisture, and potentially damaging a bearing. I would replace the whole axle, but if you do repair, you should first completely disassemble and clean then replace with new grease.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)