Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Real skinny tires...

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Best deal for Mirage owners wanting new alloys is Discount Tire Vision Cross 14x5.5"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Best deal for Mirage owners wanting new alloys is Discount Tire Vision Cross 14x5.5"
    The 2017-2020 14" x 4.5" SE alloy factory rims look relatively lightweight to me, & I like the looks of them (probably my favorite of anything I have seen).

A 4.5" wide rim is good for tires 145-175 wide.

Whereas a 5.5" rim is good for tires 165-195 wide.

If the goal is to go narrower than 165 factory tires, I wouldn't search for wider rims.

Having said that, your Vision Cross wheels looked great with your 175/65r14 tires on them.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The 2017-2020 14" x 4.5" SE alloy factory rims look relatively lightweight to me, & I like the looks of them (probably my favorite of anything I have seen).

A 4.5" wide rim is good for tires 145-175 wide.

Whereas a 5.5" rim is good for tires 165-195 wide.

If the goal is to go narrower than 165 factory tires, I wouldn't search for wider rims.

Having said that, your Vision Cross wheels looked great with your 175/65r14 tires on them.
    My wife still has them on the G4. They're simple but pleasing to the eye. Gun metal grey color holds up nicely.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performa...SABEgKmOvD_BwE
    Better price, 4" wide, but shipping weight is 18 lbs. There are 15x7" that are under 10lbs. Sport Lite??? is it just a bunch of shipping weight?

https://www.ojperformance.com/produc...acura-integra/ 11lbs...interesting, but I'm still too cheap for this...for now.
    Last edited by Dark Magenta; 05-18-2022 at 05:15 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Guys,

Picking back up on this thread. After reading other threads, then coming back to this thread, you guys have added some really good information. The main reason for me picking back up on this thread is: I want to finalize a wheel selection, based on my chosen tire selection.

About the tire. First, let me say, I don't know that the tire I have selected will be the best tire I could have selected. But, in all I've read, it should be a good choice in any event. So let me 'splain what I'm thinking and you guys can blow it all up.

I think I may go with / try a set of 145/65 R15's, the Vredestein Quatrac5's. For many reasons. For one, Quatracs are a high quality tire. 2. They are cheap. Right now they're $90 or so a tire. They were probably $60 a tire 2 years ago. 3. They are skinnier than 165's. 4. They are virtually the same O.D. as the original tire. So the sidewalls will be slightly shorter than the original tire (meaning unnoticeably stiffer / less sidewall deflection / less energy absorbed / microscopic mpg improvement).

My guesstimate is that, if there was any available tire that might yield a slight mpg advantage over the original Enasaves, these are it. I would be giving up a couple things. Their load rating is less, so I guess I'll have to quit hauling the big rig loads with the Mirage. And, I'll have to buy 15" wheels. Which goes against what I've posted here about trying to keep this car doing what it does best, being inexpensive. But brings me to main point of this reply. Wheels.

The tirerack website says that the Rim Width Range is 4" - 5" for a 145 size tire. That's not an easy wheel to source. The best wheel I've read about yet, is the Mini Cooper wheels. These are the wheels that Top Fuel created a thread about (Credit to Top Fuel) years ago. And pictured below.

The problem is, these are 5.5" wide wheels. Calling all tire experts: Would a 145/65 R15 tire, recommended to be assembled onto a 4" - 5" wheel, work adequately on a 5.5" wheel?

If so, I think this is a helluva combo. Tirerack lists the 145/65 R15 as an 11 pound tire, and the 165/15 R14 as a 12 pound tire. Match that with the 12 lb Mini Cooper wheel and it sounds like a really good set up.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Concerns? Criticisms?

Name:  Quatrac 145-65-15.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  94.3 KB
    Name:  Mini Cooper 15 inch wheel.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  88.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Guys,

Picking back up on this thread. After reading other threads, then coming back to this thread, you guys have added some really good information. The main reason for me picking back up on this thread is: I want to finalize a wheel selection, based on my chosen tire selection.

About the tire. First, let me say, I don't know that the tire I have selected will be the best tire I could have selected. But, in all I've read, it should be a good choice in any event. So let me 'splain what I'm thinking and you guys can blow it all up.

I think I may go with / try a set of 145/65 R15's, the Vredestein Quatrac5's. For many reasons. For one, Quatracs are a high quality tire. 2. They are cheap. Right now they're $90 or so a tire. They were probably $60 a tire 2 years ago. 3. They are skinnier than 165's. 4. They are virtually the same O.D. as the original tire. So the sidewalls will be slightly shorter than the original tire (meaning unnoticeably stiffer / less sidewall deflection / less energy absorbed / microscopic mpg improvement).

My guesstimate is that, if there was any available tire that might yield a slight mpg advantage over the original Enasaves, these are it. I would be giving up a couple things. Their load rating is less, so I guess I'll have to quit hauling the big rig loads with the Mirage. And, I'll have to buy 15" wheels. Which goes against what I've posted here about trying to keep this car doing what it does best, being inexpensive. But brings me to main point of this reply. Wheels.

The tirerack website says that the Rim Width Range is 4" - 5" for a 145 size tire. That's not an easy wheel to source. The best wheel I've read about yet, is the Mini Cooper wheels. These are the wheels that Top Fuel created a thread about (Credit to Top Fuel) years ago. And pictured below.

The problem is, these are 5.5" wide wheels. Calling all tire experts: Would a 145/65 R15 tire, recommended to be assembled onto a 4" - 5" wheel, work adequately on a 5.5" wheel?

If so, I think this is a helluva combo. Tirerack lists the 145/65 R15 as an 11 pound tire, and the 165/15 R14 as a 12 pound tire. Match that with the 12 lb Mini Cooper wheel and it sounds like a really good set up.

I'd recommend a good quality 175 65 r14 tire 7miles. The selection is immense, there's minimal mpg loss, they don't rub, and they look really good in the tire well.

Guys,

I dunno, do you think running a snow tire(more sipes, chunkier lugs, likely softer compound) counteract any benefit of running a skinnier tire? What about this tire that's apparently designed for the smartcar: https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/C...TACT%20EP/7457 $120cad/89usd??? It has eco in the name so it's gotta be good
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That tire seems ok. $112 per tire on tirerack. But I'm sold on the Quatrac.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

If so, I think this is a helluva combo.
    Only in your mind!

I think you're wasting our time here.

You do you!

It's a free world. If you want to run narrow tires designed to handle snow on larger, wider Mini Cooper rims where you live in the south, I say go for it.

I have a set of Quatrac 5 tires purchased on backorder, and I don't even think they are a spectacular tire by any measure. I have been interested in trying a pair of 165/65r14 Vredestein Quatrac 5 during the winter months for quite some time. I have no grand illusion that these will be superior winter tires or summer tires. My hope is that they will be an adequate snow tire when relatively new that can be used up later in life during the summer months. Keep in mind, I have an AWD Subaru Forester parked in my garage with excellent Cooper snow tires on it during the winter months. When conditions are bad, I have a better plan B in place.

I bought a set, because Tire Rack was offering a rebate on them not all that long ago. A set of four 165/65r14 Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires for $272.28 = $68.07/tire with free shipping (after applying an instant $100 rebate). Rather than buy a pair @ $187.96 ($93.98/tire), I figured that I would go with the set price.

The only thing I agree with you on is your tire diameters would be about the same. Everything else in my mind seems backwards, but it's your Mirage. I think you should do you on this one! Your mind seems made up already.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Only in your mind!

I think you're wasting our time here.

You do you!

It's a free world. If you want to run narrow tires designed to handle snow on larger, wider Mini Cooper rims where you live in the south, I say go for it.
    Ok, you do make me feel like a dummy.

I have a set of Quatrac 5 tires purchased on backorder, and I don't even think they are a spectacular tire by any measure. I have been interested in trying a pair of 165/65r14 Vredestein Quatrac 5 during the winter months for quite some time. I have no grand illusion that these will be superior winter tires or summer tires. My hope is that they will be an adequate snow tire when relatively new that can be used up later in life during the summer months. Keep in mind, I have an AWD Subaru Forester parked in my garage with excellent Cooper snow tires on it during the winter months. When conditions are bad, I have a better plan B in place.

I bought a set, because Tire Rack was offering a rebate on them not all that long ago. A set of four 165/65r14 Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires for $272.28 = $68.07/tire with free shipping (after applying an instant $100 rebate). Rather than buy a pair @ $187.96 ($93.98/tire), I figured that I would go with the set price.

The only thing I agree with you on is your tire diameters would be about the same. Everything else in my mind seems backwards, but it's your Mirage. I think you should do you on this one! Your mind seems made up already.
    Mark - Your input is valued and respected by me (and others). I'd like to know why you think every thing is backward, if you can splain it to me. I can take a bollocking. However, keep in mind, I'm in a groove of thinking with the Quatracs because of the size (145), and the fact that they're rated and reviewed much higher than the Enasaves. And because they're cheap, compared to Enasaves. I'm not considering them for any weather related performance. Besides, they're not a snow tire, they're classified as a Grand Touring All Season tire.

There's no snow down here. Well, every few years we get some wet sloppy, maybe icy weather for about 2 days, then it melts away. So, my reasoning for choosing tires is not related to weather like yours. You have to climb that hill close to your house to leave. Sounds like a challenge when it's slick. So your tire choice is based on that for the winter, and maybe just plain ole cheapness for a summer tire.

I'm not buying any time soon, so I'll have time to wait and hear your feedback on your experience with your Quatracs.