Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Mirage hatchback ES 5MT first impression

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2022 Mirage hatchback ES 5MT first impression

Picked up another Mirage today. I own since new a 2015 DE with the cvt. The two are remarkably different in features with some notable appearance changes. The car drives and handles as expected.

Some annoyances are the standard bells and whistles. I love the 2015 for simplicity, the 2022 has a large touch screen radio interface, Bluetooth and phone connectivity, forward crash mitigation, backup camera, etc. All nice for as long as they work, but I wonder what stops in the next 20 years, at which point it is dead weight.

The OEM tires were falken rather than enasaves. Hopefully that isn't a hit on mpg. I like mirages for simplicity and fuel economy, this would be a double whammy. I drive 100 miles of my 200 mile return from dealer with stock tire pressure and the second with 50psi. The neutral coasting was noticeably improved.

The front grill and bumper are very different, head lights shaped different, rear lights are squared and protrude ( hope not an aero hit), rear bumper styling different. Lots more chrome trim.

Next plans are to have krown oil treatment, install an ultragauge, a clear vinyl bra on hood and above windshield where I have chipping on 2015, mild grill blocking (maybe), passenger mirror delete.

Long term I am interested in rear wheel skirts and air dam if I can attach in a way that doesn't damage the metal. Honda insight rims, and I am interested in exploring some engine kill switches/ alternator delete/ Regen, but to do that I need to source some factory connectors so I can just plug in a circuit harness and easily return it to factory without cutting wires.

Plan is to keep 2015 for kids and drive the new one on my daily commute.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jbarr For This Useful Post:

88coltturbo (03-06-2022),Cobrajet (03-07-2022),inuvik (03-06-2022),MetroMPG (03-08-2022),Silk (04-16-2022),Top_Fuel (03-08-2022)

Great minds: I would snag some Insight rims in a heartbeat if I came across any.

I haven't seen a gen1 Insight in a long time. (Owned a 2000 5mt for a couple of years.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    There's a 1st Generation Insight driven to my workplace almost daily. I look upon it with admiration.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    what year Honda insight rims fit our g4's we have a 21 and if I could get a size bigger rim and tire id be all over that too. enjoy the rest of the night every one
    you must go slow to go fasssst

check us out and say hi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrU...gkC80APKc3cDrA

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-11-2022)

1999 - 2016

But they are 14" wheels.

(The 1st gen Insight even used the same size tire as the Mirage: 165/65R14)

The advantage to going with a 14" Insight alloy would be lower weight & better aerodynamics than the Mirage 14" alloy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Will it be a direct fit though? Cuz I don't know and I like em alot.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    thank you i was hoping they might be 15's just to give us a bit more meat lol.
    you must go slow to go fasssst

check us out and say hi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrU...gkC80APKc3cDrA

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    MetroMPG - As best as you know, are the Insight Wheels the lightest 14" wheels available? That and even skinnier tires would be interesting ... I'm interested in a bit less meat lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
    Picked up another Mirage today. I own since new a 2015 DE with the cvt. The two are remarkably different in features with some notable appearance changes. The car drives and handles as expected.

Some annoyances are the standard bells and whistles. I love the 2015 for simplicity, the 2022 has a large touch screen radio interface, Bluetooth and phone connectivity, forward crash mitigation, backup camera, etc. All nice for as long as they work, but I wonder what stops in the next 20 years, at which point it is dead weight.

The OEM tires were falken rather than enasaves. Hopefully that isn't a hit on mpg. I like mirages for simplicity and fuel economy, this would be a double whammy. I drive 100 miles of my 200 mile return from dealer with stock tire pressure and the second with 50psi. The neutral coasting was noticeably improved.

The front grill and bumper are very different, head lights shaped different, rear lights are squared and protrude ( hope not an aero hit), rear bumper styling different. Lots more chrome trim.

Next plans are to have krown oil treatment, install an ultragauge, a clear vinyl bra on hood and above windshield where I have chipping on 2015, mild grill blocking (maybe), passenger mirror delete.

Long term I am interested in rear wheel skirts and air dam if I can attach in a way that doesn't damage the metal. Honda insight rims, and I am interested in exploring some engine kill switches/ alternator delete/ Regen, but to do that I need to source some factory connectors so I can just plug in a circuit harness and easily return it to factory without cutting wires.

Plan is to keep 2015 for kids and drive the new one on my daily commute.
    I'm curious about interior cabin noise on the highway. How do the two compare? Is the 2022 any quieter on the highway than the 2015?