Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Built-in TomTom navigation system gets into an infinite reboot-cycle state

Built-in TomTom navigation system gets into an infinite reboot-cycle state

I shouldn't have complained the other day about the TomTom version, built-in in the MGN multimedia system in my 2018 Space Star ("1.2 Connect Pro" edition), as it seems to takes revenge

I realized I did not hear TomTom's voice instructions over the car's speakers for some time (maybe weeks) now.

Quickly I saw that the voices were disabled. So a simple click re-enabled them.

But now my whole MGN multimedia system hangs for a few seconds, then crashes the whole MGN system and reboots. And this in an infinite loop, until I'm quick enough to disable the voices again.

Deep sigh...

Technically it's still under warranty. And although my dealer never was a fan of the built-in Navigation system ("just use Android Auto"), I'll try to get it fixed. Also, it will be nice if the next owner of my car can just use it.

Picture borrowed from the TomTom website:
    Name:  mgn.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  31.8 KB

By the way, is the TomTom an Europe exclusive, or was it (or something similar) bundled with US cars as well?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    montero sports also have tomtom, not a fan though, maps looks like cartoons (poor internet version of google map) when i first saw it looks premium but when i used it im disappointed, we have a local OEM head unit with built in GPS made by AVT its cheaper but way lot better than tomtom, you can try their new update i think they have a website maybe it would correct your hanging issue.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to allrock For This Useful Post:

vintzend (03-16-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It is in my Eclipse Cross and i use Android Auto instead. The red light camera alert was the most annoying thing ever! The three words feature has been useful at the beach but overall I'm not a fan.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BillAce For This Useful Post:

vintzend (03-16-2022)

Spent a long time at my Mitsu dealer. They succeeded in installing the update, it fixed the rebooting, but still silence instead of spoken instructions.

They've ordered a replacement MGN system (under warranty).

I understand this is not of general interest for most forum visitors, but I'll still post here about it, just in case another European user will come across this very same issue. It has been plaguing me for quite some time now

As I posted earlier, my dealer updated the firmware, but while the rebooting stopped, it did not fix the voices. the built-in TomTom navigation system was still silent. They tried some other things and eventually decided to order a replacement MGN unit, as my car's still under warranty.

As a software engineer myself, I could hardly imagine this was a hardware issue however, so I could not resist playing around with the unit a bit more. Tried the Reset to factory settings of the MGN unit itself, but that did not resolve anything, other than wiping my DAB+ radio presets.

Then I found a reset to factory default-alike option in the TomTom settings menu. It wiped literally everything (I have no preset addresses anymore), but it fixed the issue. I now have the spoken instructions back.

I'll send a message to my dealer that they can return the new unit and am happy the next owner of my car will supposedly have a working system.

Now if only Thailand would hurry up with my building my new Space Star... :-) My dealer reported they heard nothing about my car, which they claim usually means good news...
    Last edited by vintzend; 04-03-2022 at 08:35 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vintzend View Post
    I understand this is not of general interest for most forum visitors, but I'll still post here about it, just in case another European user will come across this very same issue. It has been plaguing me for quite some time now

As I posted earlier, my dealer updated the firmware, but while the rebooting stopped, it did not fix the voices. the built-in TomTom navigation system was still silent. They tried some other things and eventually decided to order a replacement MGN unit, as my car's still under warranty.

As a software engineer myself, I could hardly imagine this was a hardware issue however, so I could not resist playing around with the unit a bit more. Tried the Reset to factory settings of the MGN unit itself, but that did not resolve anything, other than wiping my DAB+ radio presets.

Then I found a reset to factory default-alike option in the TomTom settings menu. It wiped literally everything (I have no preset addresses anymore), but it fixed the issue. I now have the spoken instructions back.

I'll send a message to my dealer that they can return the new unit and am happy the next owner of my car will supposedly have a working system.

Now if only Thailand would hurry up with my building my new Space Star... :-) My dealer reported they heard nothing about my car, which they claim usually means good news...
    Sounds like good news, & probably not a bad thing to do a reset before selling it anyways. Otherwise, the next owner of your Mirage could use all those preset addresses to stalk you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Sounds like good news, & probably not a bad thing to do a reset before selling it anyways. Otherwise, the next owner of your Mirage could use all those preset addresses to stalk you!
    Good point, when I got the car, the sales person advised to not put my full home address in the "Your Home" feature, but a nearby street instead. That way, if the car would be stolen, they would have a harder time finding my exact address

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I prefer an aftermarket nav system because past experience has been dismal in getting ANY dealer interested in working with the onboard systems. The absolute worst were Mecedes dealers and the Smart car, specifically nav updates. They just ignore owners until the owner leaves. Tried an update for a 2014 KIA Sedona minivan and abandoned the project because of many difficulties.

Adequate stick-on, clamp-on GPS boxes can be had cheaply and generally updated fairly easily with factory internet and forum help for computer dinosaurs like me. Yeah, you gotcher wires but it avoids heartburn.
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    I prefer an aftermarket nav system because past experience has been dismal in getting ANY dealer interested in working with the onboard systems. The absolute worst were Mecedes dealers and the Smart car, specifically nav updates. They just ignore owners until the owner leaves. Tried an update for a 2014 KIA Sedona minivan and abandoned the project because of many difficulties.

Adequate stick-on, clamp-on GPS boxes can be had cheaply and generally updated fairly easily with factory internet and forum help for computer dinosaurs like me. Yeah, you gotcher wires but it avoids heartburn.
    I use stand-alone GPS units in all my cars save for my Acura MDX, which has an adequate factory GPS system once I purchased a map update DVD. The one use is the Garmin Nuvi 1300LM. The LM means lifetime map updates.

These are from around 2013 but work just fine once updated. I like the fact that they are smaller and don't take up too much room in the corner of my windshield. Occasionally, I will have one brick itself during a map update, but a replacement is only about $20 on Ebay.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (04-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post

I like using Google Maps on my $159 Verizon cell phone. If I am going to pay $25/month to have a cell phone, why not use the apps on it?

Google Maps has been working quite well lately. It's been quite accurate & current (like now not yesterday). If there is an accident up ahead, it will automatically re-route you. Same with weather conditions, construction issues, & traffic jams. It even notifies you if you are entering a speed trap area. If you're unsure about the speed limit, it's usually displayed along with your current speed. The time of arrival to your destination is constantly updated. What more do you need?

Why pay extra to have something like this added to a car? I seriously don't get it? If you still use a flip phone, I suppose it may be worthwhile. I doubt flip phone users embrace all this other stuff, however. Personally, I still like a paper map at times. If all the cell phone towers were taken out by our enemies some day, I could still find my way home with my paper map!

I don't mind worthless junk being added to cars. Those who want that junk can be the ones who pay extra for it. Please offer a more affordable base model for dinosaurs like me!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (04-04-2022),vintzend (04-04-2022)