Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Service Intervals - First Service

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks

Service Intervals - First Service

My new Attrage has the same engine as the Mirage. The service book says no service required for 6 months. I am used to an oil change at 1,000 kms. Is this no longer required? Or would you pay for an oil change anyway just to be on the safe side.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    What? Oil change is due every 20.000 KM. Seriously!! It's better for the environment as well not to change oil unnecessary.
    Service intervals are once every 20.000 KM, or once a year. no need for timing belt replacement for life.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Im a 3000 miles type of guy on turbo cars, and a 6000 miles for regular. Once every quarter works so 4 times a year.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    Im a 3000 miles type of guy on turbo cars, and a 6000 miles for regular. Once every quarter works so 4 times a year.
    Attrage is not a turbo right? Chris, try changing your oil every 10.000 km. It won't hurt if you use good brand. Total, shell, valvoline, castrol etc etc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    In the Philippines, changing oil every 5,000kms is the norm if you're using mineral oil. If it's synthetic, every 10,000kms.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    In the Philippines, changing oil every 5,000kms is the norm if you're using mineral oil. If it's synthetic, every 10,000kms.
    Dealer informs me that these new engines works (only) on synthetic oil. Am at 18800 km now and haven't changed the oil even once from the beginning. There's no noticeable change in the engine and its performance. Next week will have to make appointment

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    It's better for the environment as well not to change oil unnecessary.
    Finally a chance to prove you wrong: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1234744AAkSkGr

In fact, rerefining used oil takes from 50 to 85 percent less energy than refining crude oil.
    If you do your own oil changes, make sure the oil you use goes to a recycling center.

As far as dealerships, I'm sure they either get compensated for the used oil, or are required by law to recycle.

The ONLY downside that I can see from changing your oil MORE OFTEN than not is paying more and maybe wearing out your drain plug.

Other than those, I don't see anything negative about getting the oil changed more often.

EDIT:
    Few points I have about changing oil are:
    LOCATION. For cars that live in paradise, I.E. places that don't go into the extreme temps (both cold and or hot) then I can see oil change intervals being longer.
    ROAD CONDITIONS. For cars that live in city driving, mostly staying lower than 3k RPMs, I can see oil change intervals being longer.
    USE. How much load are you putting in this little 3cyl? If you're always hauling things (and or) people around, or if you're a race car driver, shifting at 5k all the time, zipping in and out of traffic at 70MPH often, you may want to change your oil sooner.

The unfortunate thing is that these manuals are cookie cut, one size fits all. There are way too many things to consider with oil changes. My best advise is to use your head. Take a look at the oil, decide.
    Last edited by Ares; 03-05-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the answers. I appreciate that once an engine is run in it doesn't require oil changes too often. It's just i'm used to a new engine getting an oil change at the first 1,000 kms/miles, maybe modern engines don't require it.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Dealer informs me that these new engines works (only) on synthetic oil.
    I wouldn't be surprised, since synthetic oils cost more than mineral ones. The dealer will most likely have an ulterior motive in saying that i.e. increased profit for them.

Not sure how it is for other dealerships abroad, but Philippine car dealerships typically earn less than 10% from the sale of each unit that rolls off their showroom, on account of taxes, leases, staff salaries and such. The bulk of their profits are actually derived from after-sales services (such as repairs and periodic maintenance), so much so that some would actually discourage customers from bringing in their own fluids and parts, in lieu of their higher-priced merchandise.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; 03-06-2014 at 11:00 AM.
    Don't knock drunk guys in bars; it means they're not driving. -- Richard Gere, Runaway Bride

Synthetics also offer a small efficiency improvement. Given Mitsu's engineering efforts in that regard, I'm not surprised to see synth specified for these engines.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)