Thread: Automatic start/stop

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Automatic start/stop

Please tell me that none of the Mirage cars have this feature!

Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    Please tell me that none of the Mirage cars have this feature!
    Mirages built for North America don't have it. But Mirages in some other markets (Europe?) do.

Recall Europe (related to engine stop-start)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-18-2022),Fummins (03-18-2022),mohammad (03-18-2022)

(I've deleted my previous post, I've mistaken the mentioned feature for the start button, so my rant was completely unwarranted for).

My Space Star (2018) has it (as will my future 2022 model). I wouldn't be surprised if there's some European law that dictates it, but I'm not aware it is required by law at the moment.

Usually it works well/OK-ish, but I've had times where I was frustrated that it took a bit too many seconds to start.

I won't be remembered for my patience, however

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vintzend For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The only thing worse than a poor aircraft design is an FAA redesign. There is a corresponding/similar statement ever since Ralph Nader destroyed the Corvair.
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vintzend View Post

No offense, but...

...if you don't like something, then don't buy it.

For know I am quite looking forward to that very feature.
    If I went by that philosophy, I would seriously never buy another vehicle. I am not going to "throw the baby out with the bathwater" when it comes to this!

I have a long list of extra features that I don't care for on today's cars. I would love a more affordable base model Mirage, but I am not going to disregard the entire vehicle because of that. Even if I did disregard it, I am not going to find my perfect vehicle in today's market.

For example - I may hate auto climate controls, but that wouldn't stop me from buying a vehicle that only offers that option.

Auto Stop & Go would be a very annoying feature for me. Some vehicles are set up where it can be easily turned off, & I could live with that. Others are not! If a lower trim level came without AS&G, that would influence my purchase for sure.

I am 59 years old, & only one item (manual transmission) has impacted all of my vehicle purchases.

Hey Mark, I removed that post. I had mistaken Auto Start & Go for the Start button, so my rant had nothing to do with the original poster's topic.

Apologies for the confusion caused!

I bet we Europeans get AS&G on most models, just to make the quoted emissions calculations lower.

I know I'm one of the few on the forum that actually like having some luxury features on those small cars. Of course, more features means more that can break, but that's true for more expensive cars that I'd fancy as well (Mazda 2, new Yaris, Renault Clio, Peugot 208...) and would equip similarly (IF I could part with the required cash ).

Note that I'm in Europe, B-segment cars are still really popular over here.
    Last edited by vintzend; 03-18-2022 at 07:36 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Hey Mark, I removed that post. I had mistaken Auto Start & Go for the Start button, so my rant had nothing to do with the original poster's topic.

I know I'm one of the few on the forum that actually like having some luxury features on those small cars.

I don't think you are one of the few that likes extra luxury features. I think you are more of the "norm", and that is why new features are being added to all vehicles. You are normal. I am weird!

Some purchases are driven by added features. For some, it's really important! I have absolutely no problem with that!!!!!!

4-5 Mirage trim levels are typically offered in the States each year. I just wish there was more a price difference between them. It's been a $2,000 price difference since 2017 (if compare CVT models), which means the base model Mirage is not all that different than the top trim level. Many would feel that is a positive, but an affordable base model is sort of lost in all that.

From 2017-20, new features weren't really added to the Mirage in the States. Existing features on upper trim levels just became standard for all trim levels during those years.

I don't think much was changed in 2022. If someone bought the same trim level, a 2021 or 2022 Mirage would be basically the same car.

Then again, a Mirage SE & GT didn't change at all from 2017 to 2020, while the base level ES changed every one of those years.

I don't mind extra features being added to cars. That's why we have different trim levels. I miss more affordable basic cars.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vintzend (03-18-2022)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    My Space Star (2018) has it (as will my future 2022 model). I wouldn't be surprised if there's some European law that dictates it, but I'm not aware it is required by law at the moment.
    AFAIK it's not required by law. As long as the engine meets the euro6 specs (which maximizes the exhaust of various substances per km) it can be sold. CO2 is not among those substances, as it technically is not a poison, but the mean exhaust of all cars sold by a brand may not exceed 95gr/km (which equals around 24km/l), and AS&G can help to meet this requirement.
    Further in many European countries the theoretical exhaust is taxed. In Vlaanderen in roadtax and 'inschrijvingstaks', in the Netherlands in roadtax and BPM.
    In 2013 (the birth year of my Space Star) there was one trim without AS&G, and when I remember well that was rated at 95gr/km, while the same engine and transmission with AS&G was rated at 92gr/km. (That was not only AS&G, btw, the car also had no spoiler). The difference in BPM was €800. So Mitsubishi could spent an extra €800 stretch the economics another 3%, and still sell it for the same price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)