Thread: DIY Install of Hella Sharptones

Country
    United States
    Thanks

DIY Install of Hella Sharptones

Like many, I am unimpressed by the OEM Mirage horn. With the small size of the car and the low speeds (relatively) with which I commute, when I use the horn I need it to demand the attention of others. I chose some Hella Sharptones because I like the chord struck by the two notes and they are relatively loud. Other horns can be installed similarly.

There are essentially two steps to installing the horns, 1) mounting them, and 2) wiring them. There are many ways to install these and this is hopefully general enough that anyone else can do it with whatever means and materials they have available.

I had a challenge comfortably fitting these horns in the stock mounting location and I did not want to drill new holes in the car or remove the front bumper. Upon inspection I found one hole which seems to be in an accessible location from under the hood and provided enough clearance so that the horns could fit without touching anything else. I proceeded to fashion a mount out of parts I had laying around, namely a large mending plate and two corner braces. I bolted it all together as shown in the pictures.

Mounting HoleName:  MountingHole.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  84.0 KB

BracketName:  Bracket2.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  95.4 KBName:  Bracket3.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  90.0 KB

After a couple of trial fits, I adjusted the angle of the horns on the bracket so they fit well and mounted it as shown. Not shown in the picture is a support wire I added between the corner brace and one of the upper holes in the body.

Name:  mountedHornsBest.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  94.4 KB

Wiring these horns is pretty simple, but a couple of things that must be recognized are that the existing wiring for the OEM horn is not appropriate for use directly on these higher output horns. A relay must be used to transmit power to the horn. The Hella Horns come with a relay, but I discarded it because it did not provide any flyback suppression, so I purchased another appropriately sized relay that had a freewheeling diode wired internally to the circuit. This may not be necessary, but with all of the electronics in the Mirage, I erred on the side of being overly conservative. I don’t need a voltage spike frying the car.

Attached is a picture of a wiring diagram that shows how I wired it all up. The OEM horn wire is used to trigger the relay. There are plenty of ways to route the wiring around, I put it all in a 3/8” wire loom and zip tied it to the firewall along with the wiring harness there.Name:  WiringDiagram.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  80.7 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jbarr For This Useful Post:

mohammad (03-28-2022)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Love the sharptone's sound.

Name:  20180307_222022.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  97.6 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree. I think the tone is much preferred over the Supertones

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)