Thread: EFB Battery in Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

EFB Battery in Mirage?

There is apparently a new battery tech that is an extension of good old flooded technology called enhanced flooded or EFB. My 7 year old factory battery is getting sluggish so figured replacement is in order. I would gladly buy one of these but the dealers are all 100 miles away and any I found online were crazy expensive!

Instead I was wondering about an EFB from the local parts stores. I can get a Duralast Platinum for free with accumulated credit card points so that is appealing. The Duralast Gold is a standard flooded battery. I know AGMs have a different charge profile and are not suggested unless your charging system is designed around it or you buy a battery with a BMS that can account for this. Are there any issues like this with EFB batteries?

It looks like these batteries have a lot of the benefits of AGM but with a much lower price. I kinda see them like synthetic oil blends that have a lot of the benefits of full synthetics but at a much lower price. It looks like they are useful for cars with start stop to handle the extra cycle duty. Of course the batteries also have some of the limitations of regular flooded batteries.

Any opinions on these?

Thanks,

Conor

I just read a short blurb about efb batteries on an optima battery site. My take from it was they are a cheaper alternative to agm batteries and may be ideal for auto/start vehicles as they perform better than standard flooded batteries.

Pretty much any replacement standard flooded battery will be better than the stock Mirage battery, even compared to a new one. The oem battery is rated for 350 or 450 cca while the one's I've been installing show 640cca(iirc) and every new one I've tested performed better than the rating.
    These cars don't have much for parasitic power drains. A few weeks ago I started a car that hasn't moved since last fall. I was pretty shocked.

I service a newish Lexus once in a while, the elderly owner hates it cause the batteries(2) die if it isn't driven weekly.

So I really don't see the need to buy an expensive battery for a Mirage. I'd consider a fancy battery if you drive around like you have auto start/stop then yeah, maybe buy the fancy battery as a regular flooded might not live a long life by doing that.

It's your money though. Some people buy a cheap car then throw and expensive stereo or coil over's and fancy wheels. Everyone's different. I'm just a cheap basturd that drives a cheap car mainly so I can afford to blow money on other crap.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (04-01-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    AGM (VRLA) batteries are beneficial for cars with start/stop technology.

The YUASA or Hitachi brand batteries of our cars are regular "flooded" lead-calcium batteries, but they have more liquid (sulfuric acid) in them than many other brands. That extends usable life.

EFB batteries are usually recommended for cars with many electric systems and higher electric consumption. They are expected to last a lot longer than "regular" batteries, but also cost more.

When I recently replaced my eight year old Hitachi battery, the replacement was a cheap "regular" sort, because an AGM or EFB would have cost more than double.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-02-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The EFB is barely any more money and I can pay for it with credit card points. I am curious to try it out and will go that route if there is no reason not to use this in place of a standard flooded battery. My main concern is the charging profile.

7-8 years out of a stock battery is really good if you ask me so am not complaining one bit! I don't mind spending a tad more, especially if it is just burning credit card points. I use Mobil 1 EP synthetic oil in this thing and it seems to do really well with it. I cannot tell it isn't a brand new engine when I open the oil cap and look inside. It is just bare shiny metal with no discoloration or deposits of any kind. I do lots of gravel road driving so only do 5000 mile OCIs.

Yeah, it is a cheap car but I save so much money driving it that I don't mind spending a little extra to treat it right. I know there are not complicated electrical systems or anything in this car either.

EDIT: Friend who works at parts store says no special charger is required for EFB batteries! There is my answer.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    The EFB is barely any more money and I can pay for it with credit card points. I am curious to try it out and will go that route if there is no reason not to use this in place of a standard flooded battery. My main concern is the charging profile.

EDIT: Friend who works at parts store says no special charger is required for EFB batteries! There is my answer.

Conor
    Quote -

"As an approximation, EFB batteries will provide 270,000 engine starts, compared to 30,000 starts from standard flooded products."

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    AGM (VRLA) batteries are beneficial for cars with start/stop technology.

The YUASA or Hitachi brand batteries of our cars are regular "flooded" lead-calcium batteries, but they have more liquid (sulfuric acid) in them than many other brands. That extends usable life.

EFB batteries are usually recommended for cars with many electric systems and higher electric consumption. They are expected to last a lot longer than "regular" batteries, but also cost more.

When I recently replaced my eight year old Hitachi battery, the replacement was a cheap "regular" sort, because an AGM or EFB would have cost more than double.
    I didn't know that about the OEM batteries in our Mirages, very interesting Foama. I just assumed they were the cheapest battery Mitsubishi could save money on? Now that I think about it, haven't there been owners posting on here they've gotten seven years out of their original battery?

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I didn't know that about the OEM batteries in our Mirages, very interesting Foama. I just assumed they were the cheapest battery Mitsubishi could save money on? Now that I think about it, haven't there been owners posting on here they've gotten seven years out of their original battery?
    eight here, still fine, hitachi is the manufacturer, not sure about technology

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skyblue For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-02-2022),inuvik (04-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I just replaced the OEM battery in my 2015 about 6 months ago. Pretty good but I live in a very mild climate so I'm sure that is a big factor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)