Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Mirage DE wont crank or start

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I guess my post isn't any easier to follow than the original. I'm curious as to wtf was going on with that car. Maybe just out of gas for all we know.

I forgot to mention that checking for trouble codes wouldn't be a bad idea either though who knows what's been unplugged with the key on that'd trip false codes at this point.

Since nobody knows what's going on, the last guess I have is if anything is plugged into the obdII port but that's a long shot. I've never seen something prevent a car from starting.

Unless the op re-appears, I'm gonna go with it was just flooded? Or maybe that kick panel connection.........

I couldnt get on here from my phone to reply, I dont even know where to start with everything you said in the top post except the service manual do you have a link to the manual?

It is not flooded that seems to be the go to response with most people here although it is a common cause for a no start the plugs are dry no smell of gas etc and we have tried the hold the pedal down trick to clear it.

Basically we turn the key dash lights headlights everything comes on turn the key up to start position and it doesnt do anything. We tried everything we could think of to try to start it.

As far as the obd port i have one of the cheap ones that plugs in i did plug it in and turned the key and it didnt come on not sure if it even works. i will plug it into a different vehicle to see in a little while.
    Im not sure what my brother in law crossed exactly because he was the one that had his head under the front of the car doing that with the wrench.
    I just know he crossed the terminals while i had the key in the run position and it would turn over but wouldnt fire .
    I listed everything we tried in order for someone to see what we checked.

when we turned it over by this method and it wasnt firing we checked the fuel line to ensure it was definately getting fuel to the fuel rail which it was. then we pulled a spark plug and tried turning it over and watched the plug and did not see a spark.

If you have a link to the manual that would be helpful.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to joekeen77 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-04-2022)

Thanks for the reply! Do you have an automatic or 5 speed? I'll look for a link to the service manual.

The other go-to response is a connector behind the drivers kick panel that's prone to corrosion but usually in places that get snow. The lowest most connector corrodes a tiny bit and causes all sorts of problems.

I also had one 2015 Mirage that would just die randomly and not crank. Iirc I wiggled some wires under the dash to the left of the steering column and it's been good for years now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

How about a spare key?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Do you have an automatic or 5 speed? I'll look for a link to the service manual.

The other go-to response is a connector behind the drivers kick panel that's prone to corrosion but usually in places that get snow. The lowest most connector corrodes a tiny bit and causes all sorts of problems.

I also had one 2015 Mirage that would just die randomly and not crank. Iirc I wiggled some wires under the dash to the left of the steering column and it's been good for years now.
    automatic and i will look at the connectors as soon as i can kinda hard with the rain atm. no unfortunately it came with one key it doesnt have a key fob type deal its just a key as far as i can tell

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joekeen77 View Post
    automatic and i will look at the connectors as soon as i can kinda hard with the rain atm. no unfortunately it came with one key it doesnt have a key fob type deal its just a key as far as i can tell

took the starter to advance auto they tested said its fine. didnt see anything wrong with the connectors either in the driver side

I didn't think of this until just now but is there an aftermarket alarm/immobilizer in it? I believe all these cars came with a factory imobilizer/chip key, even the base models. But if there's an aftermarket setup in there then that could cause a no crank scenario.

Maybe take a look at the wiring harness from the ignition switch and follow it down and see if there's anything hacked into it. Odd matched electrical tape and zip ties are usually a good giveaway.

Other complete shot in the dark..... have you tried swapping relays around in the under hood fuse box? And one last one....Try starting it with the transmission in neutral? Or wiggle it a little in park or neutral while trying to crank it over? Possible out of adjustment range selector switch.

I found this thread...Turned out to be a loose connector on the starter itself. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...roblem-)/page2

Me thinks that's not your problem though^

Too bad you weren't closer, I'd like to help figure this one out. Shouldn't take more than a 12pack.
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-04-2022 at 08:06 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joekeen77 View Post
    took the starter to advance auto they tested said its fine. didnt see anything wrong with the connectors either in the driver side
    That's what I said (and maybe others) since the starter would spin the engine when brother shorted the start relay with a wrench (that's what you short). That proves the starter is good and not the problem.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    That's what I said (and maybe others) since the starter would spin the engine when brother shorted the start relay with a wrench (that's what you short). That proves the starter is good and not the problem.
    There's no I in team.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    well after some more messing around i now know the obd scanner is good and its not turning on when plugged into the mirage obd port so im looking to figure out why atm checking more fuses and connections. I swapped the starter relay and jcase fuse with the window relay and fuse to rule them out in the process they werent bad. ill check back if anyone comes up with anything else. as far as immobilizer i really dont know

12. The Following User Says Thank You to joekeen77 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-04-2022)