Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi to launch Renault-built Colt small car for Europe in 2023

Mitsubishi to launch Renault-built Colt small car for Europe in 2023

MItsubishi will do in Europe as I had hoped: resell a variant of the Renault Clio under the Colt brand name.

https://europe.autonews.com/cars-con...ar-europe-2023

Name:  Screenshot 2022-04-07 at 12-05-42 Mitsubishi Colt 2022.webp (WEBP Image 792 × 470 pixels).jpg
Views: 604
Size:  14.5 KB
    (Mitsubishi-provided image of the new Colt, to be launched in Europe in 2023, and built by Renault in Turkey.)

It will be built in Turkey, alongside the real Clio. My guess would be that it's mostly a relabeled Clio, without too much other customization, but we will see.

It'll most likely be out of my price league (if I configure the Clio as I would like to drive it, it was a few thousands euros more than the highest trim -level Space Star), so I don't regret ordering the Space Star.

Now it remains to be seen if they will keep the Space Star after 2023, or that the new Colt will replace it altogether. I'm pretty sure my dealer mentioned that Space Star will have a 2023 variant in The Netherlands (with only a very minor change, in at least the highest trim level). I'd be surprised if they keep it around longer, but have been wrong before...

I hope they succeed in Europe, the Renault Clio is a lovely modern hybrid car.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 04-07-2022 at 04:07 PM. Reason: (added pic to post)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vintzend For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-05-2022),MetroMPG (04-07-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vintzend View Post
    MItsubishi will do in Europe as I had hoped: resell a variant of the Renault Clio under the Colt brand name.

https://europe.autonews.com/cars-con...ar-europe-2023

If the new Colt is just a relabeled Renault Clio, I would buy the Clio. I see no reason to be excited over this.

I predicted Mitsubishi will become a vendor for Nissan & Renault vehicles. I have felt that way ever since Mitsubishi has joined the Alliance.

Outlander has become the Rogue.

Quote - "The next Mitsubishi Triton is going to be a Nissan Navara under the sheet metal." This is happening even though the Triton was the 2nd best selling truck in Australia.

Colt will be a Renault Clio.

This list will just continue to grow, and I will shop at Toyota dealerships as it happens.

I like my Mirage. I don't expect Mitsubishi to exist as we know it in the future.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (04-30-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey, maybe they will bring it to the States. Am I the only one getting a Mazda 2 vibe off the current Clio? I love the simplicity and reliability of the current Mirage/Space Star, but it's well past due for a redesign. By the way, I'm jealous that you guys get to call it "Space Star". Very Battlestar Galtica-esque.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

I like my Mirage. I don't expect Mitsubishi to exist as we know it in the future.
    Yeah, Mitsubishi Motors, at least. "All good things....", right? I'm (and I think you are, too) old enough to remember Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Plymouth, Saturn, MG, Saab, AMC...the only constant is change, I guess.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Hey, maybe they will bring it to the States. Am I the only one getting a Mazda 2 vibe off the current Clio? I love the simplicity and reliability of the current Mirage/Space Star, but it's well past due for a redesign. By the way, I'm jealous that you guys get to call it "Space Star". Very Battlestar Galtica-esque.
    Europe will get relabeled Renault vehicles and the US will get relabeled Nissan vehicles.

Just pick the Nissan you like & buy it now. There's no need to wait!

I guess I'd use the word "pleased" instead of "excited".

I'd also be disappointed with this IF Mitsubishi was producing lovable mid-range models to get excited about. Since I despise SUVs, they weren't and have not been for quite some years IMO. No harm done there.

In that light, I'd still rather drive a Clio with Mitsubishi logo than Renault's, especially if they keep their 5 year warranty (but will they?!).

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vintzend View Post

I'm trying to figure out from Wikipedia if Clio's can be had with a 5 speed manual, AND a hybrid powertrain. Because that would be awesome. Looks like the new car is a bigger subcompact than my Mirage. Wiki says Clio's are 159" length. I believe my Mirage hatchback is 138". More legroom, more storage in the truck.

I'm interested in this new "Mitsubishi" - I just don't want to step into my local Mitsubishi dealership again, after one of their employees almost ran me over with my own car.

Name:  1024px-2019_Renault_Clio_RS_Line_TCE_Automatic_1.3.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  97.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out from Wikipedia if Clio's can be had with a 5 speed manual, AND a hybrid powertrain.

Name:  1024px-2019_Renault_Clio_RS_Line_TCE_Automatic_1.3.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  97.6 KB
    I'm pretty sure a manual transmission isn't/can't be offered in any hybrid.
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-05-2022 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Added link (fake news)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think MetroMPG's old Honda Insight was hybrid with a 5 speed manual. Maybe he will chime in!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I think MetroMPG's old Honda Insight was hybrid with a 5 speed manual. Maybe he will chime in!
    Good point. I'll never believe everything I read on the internet again.

https://carbuzz.com/news/why-can-t-m...-honda-insight

Last edited by Fummins; 04-05-2022 at 06:13 PM. Reason: another link that contradicts the other one

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)