Thread: HOAT vs OAT antifreeze

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question HOAT vs OAT antifreeze

I put this as a side note in a prior post, but I figured this deserves its own post. It seems Cummins Filtration considers OAT coolants superior to HOAT (page 3): https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/si.../LT36442_0.pdf - thoughts?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (04-15-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have worked as a Diesel Mechanic & still hold my license. I have seen the damage on the sleeves in engines as in the pic on page 4 of your link. The cavitation is caused by vibrations / ultrasonic pulses transmitted into the coolant thru the sleeves from the power impulse. Remember, these Diesel engines run @ a maybe 20:1 (or more) compression ratio & over 45PSI turbo boost @ max 1800 RPM wide open pulling lots of weight. I don't think the little engine in our Mirage will ever see that kind of pressures (except maybe the DirtGearTV Guys engine )... Just use what Mitsubishi recommends & you'll be fine. It's really interesting if you get into the science, but these are 2 totally different applications. The link you posted shows the need for high quality products & the correct product for the application regardless of the vehicle. Thanks
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (04-15-2022),daleWV (04-17-2022),foama (04-17-2022),Fummins (04-15-2022),mohammad (04-15-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    The cummins leaflet is a good read!
    As we have found out, the heater cores in 2014-2015 Mirage often get clogged with silicate gel. Happened on mine too, although the OEM coolant is supposed to be silicate-free according to the FSM... Practically nothing really helps getting rid of the stuff, except for force-flushing or replaceing the core.
    After contacting the world's largest chemical and coolant maker several years ago, I thoroughly flushed the system with tap water and replaced the coolant with the correct stuff sold in Europe (G30). PH of the coolant (PH8.5) has been stable ever since, and that means no chemical reactions taking place.
    I highly recommend being totally sure the correct coolant is in use, because it can be expensive otherwise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (04-17-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The cummins leaflet is a good read!
    As we have found out, the heater cores in 2014-2015 Mirage often get clogged with silicate gel. Happened on mine too, although the OEM coolant is supposed to be silicate-free according to the FSM... Practically nothing really helps getting rid of the stuff, except for force-flushing or replaceing the core.
    After contacting the world's largest chemical and coolant maker several years ago, I thoroughly flushed the system with tap water and replaced the coolant with the correct stuff sold in Europe (G30). PH of the coolant (PH8.5) has been stable ever since, and that means no chemical reactions taking place.
    I highly recommend being totally sure the correct coolant is in use, because it can be expensive otherwise.
    So is the European stuff what Mitsu recommends?
    Karl

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    So is the European stuff what Mitsu recommends?

The stuff complies with the specs as mandated in the Mitsubishi Mirage FSM.
    Btw, it is an OAT coolant.

FYI, the world's largest coolant maker advises most premium car makers as to what coolant to put into their products as OEM. After the calamity with my heater core on this 100% OEM-equipped car, I asked them for their advice. They recommended G30, and I stick to that. I certainly didn't want to put any OEM product into the car that might not comply with that same makers own specs.

This dead horse again?
    I use blue stuff in work cars. Says import and has import names on it. Good enough. My current car had green stuff in it from the previous owner. When I replaced the engine at 283? K km the water jackets looked mint, zero signs of shmooh so I poured whatever green stuff I had in the garage at the time. It was either prestige or green import stuff I had left over from the Armada. It’s fine. Me thinks different climates/regions have more issues with coolant going to hell than up here. The one guy from Florida posted his coolant looked orangeish brown iirc. That’s a first for me unless someone dumped dexcool in it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)