Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage MID (Multi Information Display) service reminder / wrench icon

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkt Ship View Post
    That is weird. Maybe 7500 is the severe scheduling
    Am really confused. I actually went to the dealer and ask them to refresh my oil for the first time (it was then almost 10k). They disencourage me and insists that oil nowadays are really good that even for the first refresh it needs to be done at every 20k just like Mitsubishi advised.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

(Admin note: split the service reminder display discussion from fuel economy discussion)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    textbook example of ppl that closes their eyes to world's problem as long as it's still convenient. I hope you don't have children? Am not an activist but I also don't close my eyes and I try to lessen the problem any way possible. Which buying Mirage one of those reason instead of keep driving my Galant. It's just more environmental friendly car, less mineral fuel needed for the same amount of distance. Less destruction.
    1. No, I don't PLAN on having children; I'm too selfish.
    2. It's not like I'm dumping the oil down the drain. If I do my own oil changes, I go recycle the oil, which hopefully DOES get recycled.
    3. Just thinking about it, the Rio's owner's manual also called for 7k or 5k intervals. However, the dealer RECOMMENDED 3k intervals because of the "extreme" Texas conditions.
    4. The country(ies) that this vehicle came from didn't have 75mph freeway speeds. Also, these cars were not built in a for countries where other cars accelerate from 0-60mph in under 3 seconds. I constantly have to be in half-throttle (or more) and shift at 3-4k rpms to make sure I have enough power and accelerate before all the trucks and corvettes run over me.

If you're a real hippie, go walk or ride a bike.

I am paying 15k for this car, and I'll spend the extra 15-20$ to make it last.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    is there a way to revert the countdown? i was messing with it and now its 12,000 miles later instead of the 6,000.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Best is to check the color of the oil, if it gets dark maybe it would be a good time to change. Also to check for oil leaks, every 12k+ seems too high.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by empg View Post
    Best is to check the color of the oil, if it gets dark maybe it would be a good time to change. Also to check for oil leaks, every 12k+ seems too high.
    am just saying, Europe manuals and dealers RECOMMEND to refresh every 20k or 1 year, that said it's not bad to go up to 25k but preferably not more than that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    1. No, I don't PLAN on having children; I'm too selfish.
    2. It's not like I'm dumping the oil down the drain. If I do my own oil changes, I go recycle the oil, which hopefully DOES get recycled.
    3. Just thinking about it, the Rio's owner's manual also called for 7k or 5k intervals. However, the dealer RECOMMENDED 3k intervals because of the "extreme" Texas conditions.
    4. The country(ies) that this vehicle came from didn't have 75mph freeway speeds. Also, these cars were not built in a for countries where other cars accelerate from 0-60mph in under 3 seconds. I constantly have to be in half-throttle (or more) and shift at 3-4k rpms to make sure I have enough power and accelerate before all the trucks and corvettes run over me.

If you're a real hippie, go walk or ride a bike.

I am paying 15k for this car, and I'll spend the extra 15-20$ to make it last.
    I seem to offend you, my apologies, it's never been my intention. I caught in the discussion and work load was high at that time.
    Yeah I've been to US, there's no way I would walk or take bike there, dangerous to your life. I've done my share of biking here in Europe since I work 65 km away (130 km a day) from where I lived. I used to take public transport when I still worked in Amsterdam but my new work will take me double the travel time (3 hours on public transport instead of 1,5 hours by car). Am not hippie and not hypocrite, just think that this world's going worse (not having kids either here ;-) ) so let's ease the pain by not making it worse much sooner. It's been proven that oil nowadays are made for heavy duty and under heavy load it still perform as good as it was brand new after 20.000 km, also it's money saving, why saving money on gas (some ppl goes to extreme (hyper miler)) and then waste your saved money on changing oil every 3.000 miles? it was like 3x changed oil when I changed my oil just once.

Again sorry if I was rude, it was not my intention.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No offense taken dude. It's all good intentions.

Lets look at temps in the netherlands: (according to http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Am...olland/NL.aspx)

The highest temps you're looking at is around 25C as compared to here in Texas having 37C in the summers.

Now lets look at speeds: (http://carrentalscout.com/driving-sp...mits-amsterdam)
    Speed in town: 50km/h ~ 30mph
    That's "in the subdivision" speed limit
    Highways: 60-100 km/h ~ 62mph (45-55mph areas)
    That's "almost everywhere else" speed limit.
    Expressways/Motorways: 80-120 km/h ~ 75 mph
    That's our freeway speeds

Given that our speeds look pretty much even, our temps are way different which is why I believe that one can not go by the book with oil change intervals UNLESS Mitsu actually gives different intervals per location.

I, however, am willing to bet that Mitsu does not send out a different maintenance booklet for different locations.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    As the temp difference, the highest temp last summer was exceeding 30 degree although just for a couple of days. But that is where you put in 20W-30 or oil with higher temp than what we use here 0W-20. But it still don't make difference.

As seen below, kleine beurt = small service; grote beurt = big service
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 18.47.04.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  21.3 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 18.47.04 crop.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  14.1 KB

And here is what will be done at the service: (vervangen/verversen = change or refresh)
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 18.48.58.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  21.8 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 18.48.58 crop.png
Views: 895
Size:  16.0 KB
    Last edited by m4v3r1ck; 02-24-2014 at 04:56 PM. Reason: crop picture

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just registered my car at mitsu(usa) and found the Regular Maintenance Schedule:

7,500 Miles (12,000 km) or at 6 months
    †Change engine oil.
    †Replace engine oil filter

15,000 Miles (24,000 km) or at 12 months
    †Change engine oil.
    Replace engine oil filter.
    Inspect disc brake pads and rotors for wear.
    Check brake hoses for deterioration or leaks.
    Inspect drive shaft boots for grease leaks and damage.
    Replace air purifier filter (if so equipped)

22,500 Miles (36,000 km) or at 18 months
    †Change engine oil.
    †Replace engine oil filter

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-24-2014)