Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Mirage MID (Multi Information Display) service reminder / wrench icon

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I think that is why it is called a service reminder, not a mandate.
    Well, if you wanna keep your warranty, it's a mandate.

Imagine that - a new Mirage (or any other car for that matter) that has been lingering on a sales lot for a full year. I wonder if the additives in that stagnant motor oil are still up to the task? If that were my car, I would want to get some fresh oil in that engine.
    That's fair enough for the first change, but goes right out the window afterwards.

I'm just trying to be frugal, but I also care about my car a lot. Not much I can do I guess. If you want your warranty to be valid if the time ever comes, then you've gotta play ball with what Mitsubishi says the interval should be.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I like 7500 miles using Mobil 1 (12k kilos). Filling to half way between the marks at 10k miles (first 2 at 5k). Now at 15k miles and things look fine with no measurable consumption. I can get two changes out of 5 quart jugs bought at Wal Mart. Costing a little over $32 USD for 5quarts and an extended life filter I get oil changes for $16 every 7k miles. 20 changes in 150k miles cost me $320 USD.

regards
    mech

PS I do my own and every drop of used oil goes to my old shop where it is burned in an EPA approved waste oil heater that is above 95% efficient. Put it there myself about 20 years ago.

Free heat for my buddy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

nickpon (02-21-2016),poorman1 (03-16-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think that is why it is called a service reminder, not a mandate.

Perhaps the ones driving many miles. Manufacturers stretch their oil change intervals to make service costs appear lower to the consumer, and this works on the ones who don't count on having to refresh their motor oil based on time rather than distance.

It is my understanding that synthetic oil has more consistent viscosity over it's useful lifetime (and temperature range), but does not necessarily improve on additive packs any more than regular oil. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this point. I think this is why some motorists don't pay extra for synthetic for everyday use - because it doesn't necessarily benefit them.

Imagine that - a new Mirage (or any other car for that matter) that has been lingering on a sales lot for a full year. I wonder if the additives in that stagnant motor oil are still up to the task? If that were my car, I would want to get some fresh oil in that engine.

Look forward to reading it.
    My 2014 Mirage sat in a warehouse, or maybe even outside for close to 3 years before it was sold. I bought it in Oct 2016 and the manufacture date was Sept 2013 (IIRC).

I didn't bother to change the oil until the first reminder came on at 12km. It didn't use any oil, the oil that came out looked fine still. Why would additives self deplete? I vaguely remember a prof of organic chem telling me that something like motor oil would need heat, pressure, or the addition of other elements before it would start to break down. Otherwise all motor oil would by law have to come with a best before date printed on the jug.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Why would additives self deplete? I vaguely remember a prof of organic chem telling me that something like motor oil would need heat, pressure, or the addition of other elements before it would start to break down. Otherwise all motor oil would by law have to come with a best before date printed on the jug.
    That's a very good point. I'm going on the recommendations of motor oil manufacturers and vehicle manufacturers who say replace oil at a certain mileage or six months, whichever comes first. I'm not studied enough to speak on what various factors cause additives to deplete.

I think you are right in that heat & pressure take a toll on the base oil and it's additives. Also, acids are accumulated in the oil that base additives are supposed to address. This is the point of oil analysis tests that also measure TBN. I'm referring to this article by Blackstone Labs - Do I Need A TBN?

I'm sure it is possible for additives to be perfectly adequate and usable when poured from a sealed bottle such as when bought new. I am under the impression that additives can be lost to evaporation - if in a sealed container, what can evaporate? Beyond that, I suppose there is particulates to be filtered and other contaminants to be dealt with, such as acids from combustion.

There's lots of details and info out there about this and honestly, it's above my head. With all the new developments there still stands the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer and the motor oil. I suppose I could be willing to learn new stuff though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    anyone knows how to set your next service icon?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezekeyk View Post
    anyone knows how to set your next service icon?
    Search

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...rvice-interval
    (blank signature)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

cheezekeyk (03-03-2020),Eggman (03-03-2020),MetroMPG (03-03-2020)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    got it! Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If age is a factor for the additives in oil then there should be a BEST IF USED BY date on the container😁