Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Converting from auto to manual hvac controls

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Converting from auto to manual hvac controls

So are you like me and out of a strong arbitrary preference want manual control of heat, fan, and A/C?

Well this is an uncompleted basis of a how to! Initial discussion from post 14 to 32 here.

Preparing the scope of the project:

This is involved for sure, but it is hard to believe any of us would be looking to spend $861 for the components new.

Acquire parts: Learning from disassembly is important to me to minimize gouging, cracking, or breaking anything from my own car. So buying from a self-service junkyard such as LKQ, Pull-A-Part, or similar is important. As Mirages are still new cars finding junked ones that have reached the ends of their lives is sure to be difficult. Manual controls were options on 2017-19 ES, 2019 LE/RF, and (all?) gen6 Canadian market Mirages.

Outline
    -Find parts car
    -travel

-Pull the dash
    -Locate and get all components involved
    -Pull heater core. After disconnecting coolant/refrigerant lines attempt to used closed cell foam earplugs to minimize leakage if still present
    -Double check you have everything you came for

-Run some high pressure water through the heater core to ensure it won't clog anytime soon.

-Same thing in your car
    -Install manual components
    -Put dash back together
    -Add your cruise control if you've been thinking about doing that
    -Top off coolant and refrigerant

-Change settings in the ECM with "MMCodingWriter"
    -Enjoy

Current status: Project cancelled

Last edited by MacClyver; 10-23-2021 at 11:16 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-27-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You've seen Daox's Daring Dashboard Deconstruction? Great resource if you haven't.

Good luck!

There's an easier way. No need to pull all the plastics off. Just unbolt the entire dash as one piece. I'll pull one in the next week or so. I've done it once already. Pull the steering column, unhook the wiring harness on the ends of the dash and pull it out.

Open the front doors, there are 2 bolts on the side near the door hinges that hold the metal structure in place. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (10-23-2021),Eggman (05-27-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Looking forward to this one!

Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    As Mirages are still new cars finding junked ones that have reached the ends of their lives is sure to be difficult.
    It may be easier than you think. Mirages are totaled so easily they are ending up in salvage yards at a rate faster than most cars. That's good for us parts hunters.

-Run some high pressure water through the heater core to ensure it won't clog anytime soon.
    If you're going through the trouble to disassemble all of these components, I would just put a new heater core in it if you live anywhere where effective heat is important. Flushing won't remove the mystery goo that is present in some heater cores. And it may flow great on one side...and be 90% restricted on the other side...and flushing water with a garden hose would never tell you this. What you could do is flush hot water through the core and then measure temperatures on various locations of the core surface with a pyrometer.

I'm not sure the restricted heater core issue affected models after 2015, but if the rear axle problem is any indicator, Mitsubishi doesn't seem to fix problems if they can kick it down the road and run out the clock on warranty coverage.

-Change settings in the ECM with "sketchy Russian software"
    That's pretty much a mandatory Mirage step it seems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There's a junkyard called Morrison's a bit north of me in Edgerton, WI. They have a few Mirages there.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Scratchpaddy: I had not seen that, will be good to know.

Fummins: I discovered how to one piece remove the dash on my metros . Not necessarily easier to remove but it makes it so much easier to reinstall when you can put the vent ducts together outside the car.

Top Fuel: I meant flush it with a pressure washer, but point taken. As a fair weather car for me good heat isn't paramount, but it would be nice to know it works.

Dodge Aries K: According to their website they have no Mitsubishi newer than 2009, thanks for the thought.

Parts list
    Looking through here it would seem less parts to hunt for than initially thought, makes sense for them to want to keep most of the parts interchangable.

Obviously the control panel:

Part#7801A963 - AC and heater case

Part#7802A255 - Upper Case

Finding a junkyard car would be fun but if it's just 3 parts I might just try to snag these off Ebay! Except the second two are nowhere to be found used on ebay, and paying $290 for new is still wayy too much.
    Last edited by MacClyver; 07-05-2019 at 03:44 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Bumps for updates.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    There's a junkyard called Morrison's a bit north of me in Edgerton, WI. They have a few Mirages there.
    That's good to know information even if southern Ontario is a good drive away from there. Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman
    Bumps for updates.
    Though I saw a '15 and '17 in junkyard inventories since the last post in all this time I've seen none with the manual controls.

With Wallythackers offer today looks like this will be going somewhere! Unless he really wants to work in the WI cold won't be until spring. But it's exciting to know this is happening.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    That's good to know information even if southern Ontario is a good drive away from there. Thanks!
    You might want to call first, that post was six months ago. Do you think that yard still has those Mirages?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)