Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New radio on Space Star (AIWA SDA3EM) - adding backup camera

Country
    Spain
    Thanks

New radio on Space Star (AIWA SDA3EM) - adding backup camera

Hi all!!

This is my first post, not really sure if I should introduce myself on any other subforum.

The idea of this is post the pics of the new radio I think is beeing installed right now. I bought the car (SpaceStar 5MT Kaiteki) a month ago so this is the new radio at least on Spain.

My idea was to install a back camera as other topics on this forum, but I guess I didn't got all the parts needed

I guess the camera should be installed on the 8 pin port of the back of the radio, it doesn't have any RCA in. Yesterday I bought a "8pin - RCA connector" on aliexpress, but guess what, all Shanghai is confined and it's gonna arrive to Spain on 16th of June. So I guess no more updates of this topic until then.

I am not sure if I should do something on the software of the radio for the camera to work.

Here are some pics, enjoy!

The cable I bought on aliexpress:
    Name:  8pin.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  24.0 KB

Backside of the radio:
    Name:  back.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  91.2 KB

8-pin connector:
    Name:  8pinconnector.jpg
Views: 1488
Size:  95.4 KB

Model info:
    Name:  modelinfo.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  89.3 KB

Model info (by software):
    Name:  modelinfosw.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  86.0 KB

Last edited by MetroMPG; 04-25-2022 at 12:12 PM. Reason: (added info to title)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jesusgm3 For This Useful Post:

BigMW (05-08-2023),Cobrajet (04-25-2022),MetroMPG (04-25-2022)

Welcome, jesusgm3

Good luck with your radio/camera project - I know nothing about that.

Other forum members with more experience might have something to offer (though the Mirage/Space Star in the U.S. and Canada all came with a back-up camera from the factory since 2018).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well I did the same radio upgrade. Love it. But I am looking into doing the same as you. Getting the backup camera and the speaker to work as well. It's going to be a learning curve as it doesn't seem anyone else has done it before. Mine is a little different.

Model: SDA3UM
    Firmware ver: 2.0.0
    Hardware very 1.0

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm not sure if this'll help at all but there are radio and nav diagrams for a 2017 here. Not sure if backup camera is in there or if it's even the same radio as what you're trying to rig up.
    My car is a 17 but there are many differences between the radio (out of a 2021) and the original one. I have found that my car orig speaker is a 3 wire while the 21 uses a 4 wire. I haven't checked the differences in the rear camera other than they are are in different locations (hatch face vs above license plate). I am super glad to see someone else upgrading like I am though.

Quote Originally Posted by killerrudy View Post
    My car is a 17 but there are many differences between the radio (out of a 2021) and the original one. I have found that my car orig speaker is a 3 wire while the 21 uses a 4 wire. I haven't checked the differences in the rear camera other than they are are in different locations (hatch face vs above license plate). I am super glad to see someone else upgrading like I am though.
    Noted. Unneeded post removed. So apparently you're trying to install a 2021 radio into a 2017. To make life easier, if anyone wants vehicle wiring diagrams in the future it's kinda helpful to include model years of what vehicles you are working with rather than a part number. Looking in your garage entry shows you have a 2022 radio not 2021.

I don't see how the backup camera location changed whatsoever in any model year? Every hatchback that I've ever seen 2018-2022 has the backup camera to the left of the handle.

It's funny how the original poster blurred out part of the part number and the serial number on the one pic of their radio
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Mirageman38 (08-30-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry about that typo. It was supposed to read 21 not 22. My vehicle is a 17 and did not have a backup cam in the hatch. I have since added. Originally it was above the plate but I removed it and the wiring wasn't the same so I trashed it. He prob covered up the numbers because he also puts his finger over his license plate pictures...

Country
    France
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jesusgm3 View Post
    Hi all!!

This is my first post, not really sure if I should introduce myself on any other subforum.

The idea of this is post the pics of the new radio I think is beeing installed right now. I bought the car (SpaceStar 5MT Kaiteki) a month ago so this is the new radio at least on Spain.

My idea was to install a back camera as other topics on this forum, but I guess I didn't got all the parts needed

I guess the camera should be installed on the 8 pin port of the back of the radio, it doesn't have any RCA in. Yesterday I bought a "8pin - RCA connector" on aliexpress, but guess what, all Shanghai is confined and it's gonna arrive to Spain on 16th of June. So I guess no more updates of this topic until then.

I am not sure if I should do something on the software of the radio for the camera to work.

Here are some pics, enjoy!
    Hello Jesus,

Do you have any news about your project?

Peace!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No software/settings is needed to make the camera work from the radio. It clearly needs to be wired in to know the car is in reverse somehow if you aren't using an OEM camera (this is the only time the camera comes on), and I don't know how that is setup since mine came with a camera. Is that the red wire sticking out?

From 2017 the if you want USB functions it needs the adapters I posted in my thread on radio upgrade (not sure if all 2017 has USB ports, if not you will need to use a standard USB cable/extender under the glovebox with one adapter). For others upgrading from the basic radio you need the double din adapter bezel also. Also, if the base radio doesn't have a DAB antenna and you want that I would assume you would have to get something extra, but I have absolutely no idea what 2017 Mirages come with for DAB in Europe. Also, order a JAE port, audio 3.5mm header, and mic if you want the MIC function which is totally not required. I am going to try to get that working when my 3.5mm header comes in hopefully within the next week.

As far as I am aware the Metra plug should be the same from 2017, and the antenna port.

I wouldn't even worry about the GPS part for now unless someone can help us with the pinout since the GPS is not required.

I don't mind making adapter cables for the GPS/MIC/USB for people if there is interest and I can get them working.

Also, be careful, you might get totally Pwned if we learn your Bluetooth MAC address
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 08-30-2022 at 02:50 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

spacestar67 (08-30-2022)

Country
    France
    Thanks
    Does someone has the correct wiring : pinout for sda3em???

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's funny how the original poster blurred out part of the part number and the serial number on the one pic of their radio
    Considering there's a certain degenerate in BC that thought nothing of repeatedly posting their newly mangled genitals after Sexual reassignment surgery on Twitter I for one welcome and will never chastise anyone for self-censorship. There should be more of it.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)