Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do hybrids work?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Question How do hybrids work?

I drove around in the corolla hybrid the other day, Seeing the tachometer go to zero on the highway was an interesting experience.

Car and driver says the corolla hybrid has a 71hp electric motor: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

When i go on eBay and look up 71hp ac electric motor they are absolutely massive: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184325192970 are electric car motors rated differently than normal motors? Is it like a peak load vs continuous duty thing? The electric motor in the corolla can be seen on a youtube teardown video of the transmission it looks tiny.

please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought that hybrids started the engine at highway speeds and switched to electric only around 45 mph or below.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    i dont know with toyota but their hybrids still uses CVT transmission, the outlander is a plug-in hybrid, they just utilized a bunch of clutch packs to send power to the wheels.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    i dont know with toyota but their hybrids still uses CVT transmission, the outlander is a plug-in hybrid, they just utilized a bunch of clutch packs to send power to the wheels.
    It's the eCVT and it's very different from an ICE CVT like the CVT7.

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    i think these things will be a disaster when they start being sold for reasonable money second hand

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    i think these things will be a disaster when they start being sold for reasonable money second hand
    Nah. I'm not the biggest hybrid fan (typically because of no manual trans) but I do tire testing with a taxi fleet in Orlando, and the Camry Hybrid has been the taxi of choice for years now. It unseated the Crown Vic as taxi king.... that's saying something...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

craigq (04-26-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    you guys said alot of words. I just want to know how toyota can offer a 71hp electric motor that is like 10x smaller than similar ones i can buy on eBay?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

What exactly do you want? Your original post asks how hybrids work. Now you want to know how mfg's are able to produce such a small efficient motor? Try google then read words.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (04-26-2022)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I don't see 71hp specified in the article you linked to. It specifies 121hp/105 lb-ft for ICE and electric together. Anyway, as far as I know the big thing in electric motors is not max power, but max torque. That motor you linked to does 100hp at 1775rmp. That is 410Nm, which is 302 lb-ft, which is almost 3 times the torque of both Corolla engines together.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

mohammad (04-26-2022)

I just scrolled down to the comment section in that 3 year old article where all the genius' are claiming the lack of power and speed is a safety issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (04-26-2022)