Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep your old car (or buy a new one by 2025)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Keep your old car (or buy a new one by 2025)

Saw this nugget about those homework-doing Germans and the EU putting digital speed limiters (not rev limiters) on their cars soon.

Then, not to be outdone, the current American regime has dictated all U.S. cars have a "government kill switch" by 2026.

Red Barchetta, anyone? Red Mirage?

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology...ing-next-month

The eu speed limiter seems like a joke. Seems like just a warning more than an actual limiter. I'm not sure which article is more accurate. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content...2?refresh=true

It gets even better: Barr points out that the bill, which has been signed into law by President Biden, states that the kill switch, which is referred to as a safety device, must “passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired.” In other words, Big Brother will constantly be monitoring how you drive. If you do something the system has been programmed to recognize as driver impairment, your car could just shut off, which could be incredibly dangerous. https://www.motorious.com/articles/f...ches-new-cars/

I can't see that happening^ There a lot of crazy going on with that idea. But that's the way things are going. Onstar has been around for decades. Tesla is always connected. I wrap tinfoil around my phone when I break the law.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The new buzz phrase is "the internet of things", where EVERYTHING is connected to the internet. Happening now with Ring doorbells, Nest thermostats, tv's refrigerators, etc. Why not cars, too, right? Oh well, at least if I have a speed limiters those damn cops won't get any more revenue from me. By the way, ditch the tin foil and get a Faraday bag.
    Last edited by AtomicPunk; 05-03-2022 at 04:10 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    The new buzz phrase is "the internet of things", where EVWEYTHING is connected to the internet. Happening now with Ring doorbells, Nest thermostats, tv's refrigerators, etc. Why not cars, too, right? Oh well, at least if I have a speed limiters those damn cops won't get any more revenue from me. By the way, ditch the tin foil and get a Faraday bag.
    I must admit that I like leaving google maps on during long trips just for the speed trap ahead feature. I don't really speed on purpose all that much, but sometimes I may overlook or miss a change in speed for a new area I haven't driven before.

I already dislike many new features on today's vehicles. It makes it easier to just enjoy what you already have.

I don't see myself ever buying a new vehicle again. Older used vehicles without some of these new features will still exist in 2026 & beyond.

The ONLY reason I bought a new Mirage in 2017 was the pricing at the time (55-66% window sticker depending on the rebates one qualified for). I don't see that type of pricing coming back any time soon.

I don't remember either of my grandparents ever buying/owning a new vehicle. It never made me think any less of them.

Being a slave to a vehicle payment just seems stupid to me. If a vehicle is what you value the most in life, then maybe one can justify it. I am don't want to be that person!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I must admit that I like leaving google maps on during long trips just for the speed trap ahead feature. I don't really speed on purpose all that much, but sometimes I may overlook or miss a change in speed for a new area I haven't driven before.

I already dislike many new features on today's vehicles. It makes it easier to just enjoy what you already have.

I don't see myself ever buying a new vehicle again. Older used vehicles without some of these new features will still exist in 2026 & beyond.

The ONLY reason I bought a new Mirage in 2017 was the pricing at the time (55-66% window sticker depending on the rebates one qualified for). I don't see that type of pricing coming back any time soon.

I don't remember either of my grandparents ever buying/owning a new vehicle. It never made me think any less of them.

Being a slave to a vehicle payment just seems stupid to me. If a vehicle is what you value the most in life, then maybe one can justify it. I am don't want to be that person!
    I agree mostly. My point about buying new the year before the "kill switch" madate was to have a car that would last you and wouldn't have a government controlled killswitch.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I agree mostly. My point about buying new the year before the "kill switch" madate was to have a car that would last you and wouldn't have a government controlled killswitch.
    I got your point, & it's a good one!

I would buy a used 2019 Mirage over a 2020+ Mirage, because I don't like auto climate controls. There's lots of things to not like about cars these days. Government controlled vehicles would definitely climb to the top of that list!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Saw this nugget about those homework-doing Germans and the EU putting digital speed limiters (not rev limiters) on their cars soon.

Then, not to be outdone, the current American regime has dictated all U.S. cars have a "government kill switch" by 2026.

Red Barchetta, anyone? Red Mirage?

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology...ing-next-month
    Article's written by Tyler Durden. Hmm, As in, the fictional character in the book Fight Club?

The author's little pic is of Tyler Durden from the movie (Brad Pitt)

Is this legit?

I don't even like having a data plan on my phone, so no gov't satellites are gonna slow this Mirage driver down lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Article's written by Tyler Durden. Hmm, As in, the fictional character in the book Fight Club?

The author's little pic is of Tyler Durden from the movie (Brad Pitt)

Is this legit?

I don't even like having a data plan on my phone, so no gov't satellites are gonna slow this Mirage driver down lol
    Tyler Durden is his (her) nom de plume. This AP story seems to say it's just for "drunk or impaired" drivers, and is a little less hyperbolic. However, I think we can see it's not a big leap to the switch off for other reasons if the tech is already on the car. No more unsafe car chases will be the reason given.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-402773429497

That's crazy. It's apparently easy to make laws like that, good luck trying to reverse it. I don't have much to worry about, they would have come for me already if they hear half the things I say on the phone or at home via our google home spying device thing.

They even have trail cams out in the boonies where we go to hide from civilization, or so I'm told. They're supposed to on trails that were pointlessly closed to quads.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-03-2022 at 06:33 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    A kill switch sure would make police's job a whole lot easier. Although I wonder if they'd get sued if a car was disabled doing 90mph and it lost control and killed an innocent person?