Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rev Matching. Am I doing it wrong or is it just the Mirage??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Rev Match requires double clutching..
    It does not require double clutching, in any manual transmission vehicle. Including those with Eaton-Fuller RoadRanger 10, 13. 18 etc transmissions.

DL - Rev match IF YOU CHOOSE TO. It's not difficult. Just takes some practice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I tried it earlier by pressing the clutch in, put in 3rd gear from 5th, then tap the gas pedal, then release the gas. it made no difference. Either I need more practice (probably so) or it inapplicable to the car. Eh I'll try again

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    As a person who has been driving cars and trucks for over fifty years, I have a different approach. Instead of double clutching a synchonized gearbox, I rather try to keep the gearbox and synchro rings in top shape, which ultimately saves a lot of money.

When changing gears, I apply practically zero force on the lever. It takes the gear a second or two to mesh, and it also does so without any noise at all and totally without any force. The gears just plop in if I give them the time to, no hassle at all.
    If I were to apply any force at all on the lever, I would be causing wear on the synchro rings. The gears would soon not plop in almost by themselves any more, because of the state of wear.
    This way I have a gearbox that stays in perfect condition

4. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

twister77 (05-07-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    I tried it earlier by pressing the clutch in, put in 3rd gear from 5th, then tap the gas pedal, then release the gas. it made no difference. Either I need more practice (probably so) or it inapplicable to the car. Eh I'll try again
    My foot is NEVER on the gas when I shift a manual. I really mean NEVER!!!! My Mirage shifts quite easily.

I don't downshift to make stops, but I downshift to make non-stop turns. Most of the time, I will drop to 4th & then 3rd to make the turn. If it's a really sharp uphill turn, I may drop down into 2nd gear.

Why you want to tap the gas pedal when shifting is beyond me? It takes zero effort to shift correctly. Two fingers gently on the shift knob should do it. I've owned all manuals, & the Mirage shifts very smoothly.

I wouldn't want to buy someone's used Mirage or G4 manual that wasn't driven correctly. If you aren't letting up on the gas every time you shift, I would take driving lessons. The same goes for driving a motorcycle or even a clutchless ATV. I don't have to clutch my old Honda ATVs (clutchless manuals) but you would never shift them while giving them gas. That would be silly!

"To shift into lower gears, you are basically doing the same thing. Release your foot from the gas pedal while you are shifting.

To downshift, remove your foot from the gas pedal and depress the clutch before shifting the lever to the lower gear. Do not shift while pressing the gas pedal as this can damage either your engine or transmission. After you release the clutch and decelerate, use the same method to shift to the next lowest gear. Always work backwards, in reverse gear order."

https://www.autosimple.com/blog/how-...into%20neutral.

Maybe you have some goal that I don't understand?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Maybe you have some goal that I don't understand?

Don't understand it either...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's like this Mark and foama. I shift up a lot like foama. I don't rush it, I'm not in any hurry.

But let's say for argument sakes I'm shifting from 3rd to 4th. Let's say I shift at 3,500 rpm in 3rd, which takes me to ~2,600 rpm in 4th.

I run the engine to 3,500 rpm (for example), and then I perform my shift. My lever movement is *almost 2 steps. I may not necessarily stop the shifter from moving when it hits N. I give the shifter a little push into N, then a little push into 4th. During the course of the lever movement, the rpm will drop past 2,600 rpm with no throttle input.

If I let it drop past 2,600 rpm there will be slightly more difficulty (not difficult at all, but more difficult) to move the gear lever to 4th gear. But if I let the rpm drop to 2,600 rpm and hold the rpm there, then the shifter moves into 4th gear like butter. Like it's floating on a cloud. THAT is why I use a little throttle input while shifting. Because I shift slowly, carefully, methodically. I aim/control the engine speed toward the rpm it is going to be when the next gear is selected and the clutch is engaged.

The result: A smooth transition into gear, no herky jerk reaction to engaging the clutch, and less clutch wear.

That's not doing it wrong. That's doing it right. I've driven manual transmissions for 34 years. Not one clutch or transmission issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

This thread:
    Attachment 23320

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    It's like this Mark and foama. I shift up a lot like foama. I don't rush it, I'm not in any hurry.

But let's say for argument sakes I'm shifting from 3rd to 4th. Let's say I shift at 3,500 rpm in 3rd, which takes me to ~2,600 rpm in 4th.

I run the engine to 3,500 rpm (for example), and then I perform my shift. My lever movement is *almost 2 steps. I may not necessarily stop the shifter from moving when it hits N. I give the shifter a little push into N, then a little push into 4th. During the course of the lever movement, the rpm will drop past 2,600 rpm with no throttle input.

If I let it drop past 2,600 rpm there will be slightly more difficulty (not difficult at all, but more difficult) to move the gear lever to 4th gear. But if I let the rpm drop to 2,600 rpm and hold the rpm there, then the shifter moves into 4th gear like butter. Like it's floating on a cloud. THAT is why I use a little throttle input while shifting. Because I shift slowly, carefully, methodically. I aim/control the engine speed toward the rpm it is going to be when the next gear is selected and the clutch is engaged.

The result: A smooth transition into gear, no herky jerk reaction to engaging the clutch, and less clutch wear.

That's not doing it wrong. That's doing it right. I've driven manual transmissions for 34 years. Not one clutch or transmission issue.
    I drove one manual vehicle for 14 years without a tachometer. I wonder how I pulled that off?

I can't relate to what you are sharing, but I have no doubt it is important to you! I just drive, & my Mirage shifts very smoothly in any direction. As I am rowing through the gears, my right foot is actually quite active (way more than I even realize). It's like wax on & wax off. When the clutch goes down, your foot comes off the gas. The only exception to that is starting out in 1st gear or reverse. I've been doing it for 50 years, & I have no problem picking any gear I want at any given time.

I like having a tachometer on a motorcycle, because it can help confirm what gear you are in. For my Mirage, I don't use my tachometer to drive at all. I drive in whatever gear is best for conditions.

If someone is truly new to driving a manual, I feel the Smart Drive Lessons are some of the best. There are 4 to 5 parts to them, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW2Q7lIxrRo&t=176s

I've shared Smart Drive in the past, and in one case I remember the person thanking me (& he went on to buy a CVT Mirage).

That wasn't my intent!

All of my vehicles have been manuals, and I have never had a clutch or transmission replaced either.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-09-2022 at 07:37 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark - I just went home for lunch. Maybe I'm thinking how I drive in my truck. In the Mirage it seems I hit the correct rpm at the next gear quite easy. No fancy footwork. But in my truck ... it is a 2000 model. It has a 1,000 lb-ft clutch and it may make ~750 - 800 lb-ft of torque. I shift even slower in it versus the Mirage. Its transmission is just big & heavy and not the most smooth transmission to shift ever. I take it slow and easy in there. I'm betting that's where I adjust the throttle more actively while shifting because it takes longer between the gears in the truck. However, the engine, revs pretty dern quick as it has torque out the ying-yang.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    This thread:
    Attachment 23320
    This is a thread about driving manuals, & we are still on topic! That deserves some credit!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-09-2022)