Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current suggested fluid for our manual transmissions?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Current suggested fluid for our manual transmissions?

I have seen some type of Redline MTL oil as well as Pennzoil Synchromesh suggested for our cars. Which one has had the best shifting, etc.? What is the viscosity of the suggested Redline?

I figured it is time to do the change. I have been super busy lately but want to get this changed soon.

Thanks,

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    I have seen some type of Redline MTL oil as well as Pennzoil Synchromesh suggested for our cars. Which one has had the best shifting, etc.? What is the viscosity of the suggested Redline?

I figured it is time to do the change. I have been super busy lately but want to get this changed soon.

Thanks,

Conor
    I used Redline MTL. It's the proper weight & type. Can be found on Amazon or Walmart on line. Two quarts do the job. The threads on this topic are longer than necessary.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I'd go with the MTL as well. It actually smoothed out some of the notchiness I had when shifting.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I'd go with the MTL as well. It actually smoothed out some of the notchiness I had when shifting.
    I’m going to use it my 5 speed OS/RVR/ASX. I plan on changing it when I hit 10k and send it for a oil analysis.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Thanks,

Conor
    I purchased the following to complete the job -

1-gallon Redline MTL (takes less than 2 quarts to refill)
    24 mm socket, 3/8" drive (cost $3.04). I didn't have that size socket on hand, but a 15/16" socket may work, too.
    Transmission funnel (currently $2.69 @ AutoZone) - You could make a funnel with a hose, but this worked perfectly for this job. I will find other uses for it.

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-ga...nel/557785_0_0

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Posting here because I need to do this to my 15... don't mind me lol
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine is a 2015 by the way. Sorry to post this once again. I have been so busy working lately I barely have time to sleep! I have also been putting a lot of miles on the Mirage and it is now over 40K on the original fluid. It is time to change it.

Should I stick with this 75W80 or go with a thinner grade (70W75)? https://www.redlineoil.com/mtl-75w80-gl-4-gear-oil

I also see this wider viscosity range of 70W80 as well. Is anyone running that? I almost think I would rather do that if it would protect just as well and improve cold weather shifting.

Thanks,

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine is a 2015 by the way. Sorry to post this once again. I have been so busy working lately I barely have time to sleep! I have also been putting a lot of miles on the Mirage and it is now over 40K on the original fluid. It is time to change it.

Should I stick with this 75W80 or go with a thinner grade (70W75)? https://www.redlineoil.com/mtl-75w80-gl-4-gear-oil

I also see this wider viscosity range of 70W80 as well. Is anyone running that? I almost think I would rather do that if it would protect just as well and improve cold weather shifting.

Thanks,

Conor
    My 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage ES manual uses GL-4 SAE 75W-80. Redline MTL is the same grade.

I would use the recommended grade oil. It's relatively thin. I am in my mid-50's, & I only own/buy/drive manual vehicles. The Mirage is the smoothest shifting car that I have ever driven in cold weather. We had some extremely cold weather last winter. My Mirage shifts much easier than my Subaru Forester. I see no reason for going thinner at all. It's pretty thin to begin with. As long as a quality products exists, I see no reason for using some other grade oil.

I did my first manual oil change @ 30,000 miles. I don't believe factory lubes are superior products. Changing oil is so easy to do with a manual. No filters, no dip stick, drain, refill to the fill hole, & you are done!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The threads on this topic are longer than necessary.
    And yet we still find ways to add our 2¢. Or 4¢, or 6¢, depending on how many times we repeat ourselves.

Daox put in the Redline MT-LV 70W/75W gear oil and gave his review in the link posted by Top_Fuel. It's a good read.

I haven't yet changed mine but I wouldn't be opposed to trying the thinner stuff. I'm not sure anyone else has reported using the MT-LV.

There aren't many choices available for gear oil. Redline has a good product at a decent price, though I think it's overpriced for what it is.

Whatever you choose, don't use GL-5 and stick with GL-4.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)