Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current suggested fluid for our manual transmissions?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    And yet we still find ways to add our 2˘. Or 4˘, or 6˘, depending on how many times we repeat ourselves.
    Seriously, what is this all about? This person has asked nice questions, & each time I have tried to answer them. I've read a zillion posts on this topic, and my conclusion is that Redline MTL may be the best option for manual users to consider. Since it's relatively thin and a Mirage shifts well in cold weather already, I see no reason for going thinner.

From research I have done in the past - Ravenol J1C1002 SAE 75W-80 Manual Transmission Fluid - MTF-2 Full Synthetic API GL-4 (1 Liter) is another excellent product, but it is more expensive than the Redline MTL. The Ravenol product is sold in liters vs. quarts, which is a little less product/bottle, too. 1 quart = 0.946353 liters.

https://www.amazon.com/Ravenol-J1C10.../dp/B00FGXB15O

I realize Eggman's posts & opinions are way more important than mine apparently, but I hope that what I have shared is helpful to this person & others just the same.

Last edited by Mark; 12-12-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I realize Eggman's posts & opinions are way more important than mine apparently, but I hope that what I have shared is helpful to this person & others just the same.
    Nope. You have much more experience changing manual transmission oil on a Mirage than I do.

'Nuff said.
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-12-2019 at 10:48 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. I am probably going to get the Redline MTL 75W80 on order soon. The Redline MTL comes in several different grades so I plan to get the one suggested by the factory. If there is no reason to use 70W80 or 70W75, then I will stay with the viscosity the manufacturer suggests. I also know that motor oil viscosity and gear oil viscosity use a different scale so this stuff isn't as thick as one would think if they didn't know this. I also know that GL5 or anything else not "yellow metal compatible" is bad news in most modern manual transmissions. I am definitely going to use something meant for manuals like this Redline MTL, not just any GL4 gear oil.

Thanks,

Conor

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Id wait another 40k...

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Nope. You have much more experience changing manual transmission oil on a Mirage than I do.

'Nuff said.
    Looks like I need some sensitivity training?
    Attachment 16383
    Last edited by Fummins; 12-12-2019 at 07:39 PM. Reason: It puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose again
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just wanted to add that redline d4 atf also works on our cars and last time i checked 3 months ago it is cheaper in USA than the others. Search this same forum for: redline d4 atf

I am talking about for 5 speed stickshift that it works

BTW: I love stick-shift! Its getting harder and harder to find nowadays...but manual transmission is alot more simple, reliable and longer lasting than any automatic transmission. Its an old-fashioned technology but all the bugs have been worked out of it since its been around for so long.

It is 80% of the reason I bought Mirage. I was missing that "full driver experience" of driving stick-shift from back when I was 20 years old and driving a stick-shift Isuzu pickup truck. Its alot of fun and always recommend it to ADHD people that "fidget" alot.

if you are the kind of person that taps their fingers or shakes their foot while sitting down then you are Taylor-made for driving stick shift. Keeps you more engaged in the driving experience and exercises more of your brain (which cuts down on "racing thoughts" and boredom).
    Last edited by fc321; 12-12-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    Thanks. I am probably going to get the Redline MTL 75W80 on order soon. The Redline MTL comes in several different grades so I plan to get the one suggested by the factory. If there is no reason to use 70W80 or 70W75, then I will stay with the viscosity the manufacturer suggests. I also know that motor oil viscosity and gear oil viscosity use a different scale so this stuff isn't as thick as one would think if they didn't know this. I also know that GL5 or anything else not "yellow metal compatible" is bad news in most modern manual transmissions. I am definitely going to use something meant for manuals like this Redline MTL, not just any GL4 gear oil.

Thanks,

Conor
    Like you, I approached this topic some time ago. At the time, Redline's website was not up to date. As I was searching for products, Redline products for my 2017 Mirage weren't recommended on their own website. I emailed Redline directly, & they responded back to my inquiries. Thus, I took a very pro-active approach with them. Several forum members were already using their products, but I was annoyed that their website didn't acknowledge the newer Mirages. Redline addressed my concern, which makes me appreciate them as company.

Some of this is discussed in an older thread. Thus when I said an older thread was longer than it needed to be I was pointing at myself and not being critical of anyone else. I just want to clarify that.

Like someone has mentioned - If you search their website now, two products are recommended (MTLŽ 75W80 GL-4 GEAR OIL & D4 ATF) for a Mirage. I am not aware of anyone using their new product called D4 ATF. Personally, I would stick with the MTL. Someone else can surely give the newer product a try and share their thoughts with all us.

Someone stated Redline MTL may be a bit overpriced, but this fluid doesn't get changed as frequently as engine oil. Now, that I am more confident about what's in my transmission, I may go with 60,000 miles changes in the future. For me that would be 12 engine oil changes for every one manual transmission change. It only takes two quarts to do this!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sidenote: There are times when I feel like I am having a discussion with one member who has questions within a thread. If that comes across as me repeating myself over and over again I apologize. Some members haven't read every past thread.

This is really no different than Top Fuel & others reminded new forum members to have their rear axle alignment checked prior to doing any wheel/tire changes. For some of us - we could just roll our eyes on that, but I am smart enough to know that Top Fuel is talking to someone who may not have heard that before. Thus, I appreciate him sharing that concern with others.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-13-2019 at 03:28 AM.

Does somebody need a hug?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am assuming the ATF suggestion is for the CVT and the MTL is for the manual? Am I correct?

I went ahead and ordered two quarts of Redline MTL 75W80 just now. I guess this is all I need.

Is there any reason to flush the transmission with motor oil after 42,000 miles? I have done this on neglected manuals in the past. You drive with whatever cheap 5W30 or 10W30 oil for a day to clean all the crud out and then put the proper stuff in.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    I am assuming the ATF suggestion is for the CVT and the MTL is for the manual? Am I correct?

I went ahead and ordered two quarts of Redline MTL 75W80 just now. I guess this is all I need.

Is there any reason to flush the transmission with motor oil after 42,000 miles? I have done this on neglected manuals in the past. You drive with whatever cheap 5W30 or 10W30 oil for a day to clean all the crud out and then put the proper stuff in.

Conor
    I would not recommend the wrong product for your Mirage. Redline makes two recommended products for Mirages with manual transmissions now. The one product is recommended for various types of transmission including the manual transmission in the Mirage. I personally wouldn't be drawn to that product.

For the money and what is available on the market, I think you have made the best choice (MTL). I don't hear anyone else coming up with something better, & something better may not exist?

I wouldn't expect a Mirage with 42,000 miles to have much crud to worry about. I think anyone changing their fluid between 30,000 - 60,000 miles is good! Maintenance schedules 1 & 2 for a Mirage use those recommended mileages.

I don't feel your Mirage has been neglected, unless it was low on fluid without you knowing it. There are useful other threads that show pics for the drain and fill plugs. If you aren't using a 24 mm socket, you are removing the wrong plug/bolt.

Like others have suggested in other threads - I would make sure you can get the fill plug off before draining the transmission. If you have done this before, you will sense the transmission fluid is pretty thin already. I see no reason to fret over anything, & I hope the fluid change goes well for you!